getting back in the gym - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM
TPinyati should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default getting back in the gym

I would like some critique on my new fitness routine. I do cardio about three to five times a week, usually brisk walking on max incline on the treadmill. This is my basic split but sometimes I change up the isolation exercises.

Monday
squat 1-8 x5
leg extension 10x3
leg curl 10 x3
calf raises 10x3

Wednesday
deadlift 1-8 x5
bent over rows 10x3
lat pull down 10x3
pull ups 4x3

Friday
bench 1-8 x5
curls 10x3
French press 10x3
tricep extension 10x3
flys 10x3
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Stranger

While waiting on some response I read through my old posts from eleven years ago and wow talk about humbling. I have lost about thirty pounds over the last three months but I'm still about seventy pounds heavier then I was back then and my lifts are the same.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

I wouldn't call that a routine or a program, that is just an idea. Picking exercises and putting reps and sets on them doesn't make it a program. First, you should set up what your goals are, short term and long term. These should be obtainable and easily measurable. Once you know what your goals are, then you need to set your nutrition/cardio/resistance training up to successfully achieve this goal.

And when it comes to resistance training you need a much better plan with more detail. Is 1-8 supposed to mean between 1 to 8 reps? 5 sets of 1 reps is waaayy different than 5 sets of 8 reps. The stimulus is totally different on the body. How do you choose what reps you are going to do that week? Is it just a whim? Whatever you feel like doing that day? Also, you don't mention intensity at all. Is this program going to be percentage based? Is it based off perceived exertion? Are you going to complete failure? Are you going to shy a rep or two away from failure? How much rest between sets? How are you going to progress week to week? Are you looking to follow the basic, linear periodization model? How many weeks is this program going to be? How long are you going before you deload? What is the plan when you stall? Etc...etc.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Stranger

Ok so here is some further information. I'm six foot four inches tall two hundred ninety five pounds. My short term goal is to lose one or two pounds a week and long term to lose seventy pounds. I'm eating about 2300 calories a day. I'm trying to cycle the intensity with the compound movements so on the lower intensity week bench will look like one set of eight, one set of six, one set of four, one set of two, and a single. The higher intensity week will be more like five, four, three, two, one. The big three compounds are set with strength parameters so the rest intervals are about 90 seconds and the other exercises are more hypertrophy parameters so more like a 45 seconds rest.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinyati View Post
Ok so here is some further information. I'm six foot four inches tall two hundred ninety five pounds. My short term goal is to lose one or two pounds a week and long term to lose seventy pounds. I'm eating about 2300 calories a day. I'm trying to cycle the intensity with the compound movements so on the lower intensity week bench will look like one set of eight, one set of six, one set of four, one set of two, and a single. The higher intensity week will be more like five, four, three, two, one. The big three compounds are set with strength parameters so the rest intervals are about 90 seconds and the other exercises are more hypertrophy parameters so more like a 45 seconds rest.
90 seconds seems quite short for strength training. I believe Dr. Wilson recommends this,

3-5 reps = 3-5 minutes
6-8 reps - 3 minutes
9-12 reps - 1-3 minutes
13-15 reps - 1 minute
15 -25 - 30 seconds to 1 minute
everything above is the same

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/musclefiberspart3.pdf

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 AM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

Hey guys you all just made my metabolism run up cause I liked reading what you are doing. I hope your blessed and keep on keeping on.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinyati View Post
I would like some critique on my new fitness routine. I do cardio about three to five times a week, usually brisk walking on max incline on the treadmill. This is my basic split but sometimes I change up the isolation exercises.

Monday
squat 1-8 x5
leg extension 10x3
leg curl 10 x3
calf raises 10x3

Wednesday
deadlift 1-8 x5
bent over rows 10x3
lat pull down 10x3
pull ups 4x3

Friday
bench 1-8 x5
curls 10x3
French press 10x3
tricep extension 10x3
flys 10x3

Its a good program you got there, but you did not indicate in your program if your program is for losing weight or gaining muscle?
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Stranger

My main goal is to lose excess body fat but I think this is a good split to also increase functional strength and add a bit of lean muscle mass. I'm a few weeks in and think I'm getting some decent results. Pounds are coming off slowly but fairly consistent and I'm starring to see some strength gains in the compounds.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Stranger

Heavy bench day today and I hit a new PR. This week was heavy squat and bench and light deadlift. Still sore from squat on Monday and i felt super weak on deadlift on Wednesday. Next week will be light on squat and bench. I'm thinking about switching my bench and deadlift days so there is a bigger split between squat and deadlift.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I would switch your bench and deadlift day around. Because deads use quite a bit of legs and your deadlift will suffer 2 days after squats. Other than that it is a pretty solid bodybuilding split. I'd also put pullups before pulldowns when you are a bit fresher.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727