Need help.....chicken legs are not cool - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Derekg21 is a beast in the making
Stranger

Default Need help.....chicken legs are not cool

Ok....so I've been working out pretty consistently for the last 2 months and I'm starting to see some decent gains. However, I haven't seen much growth in my calves. I must say, I'm overly paranoid about becoming one of those guys who is real big up top and has twigs down low. Does anyone have a good calves workout that they have been successful with and seen growth? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

Calves are a stubborn muscle to grow for a lot of people. The good thing is that they can take a lot of abuse for most people as well. This means you don't usually have to wait 5 and 6 days in between workouts to hit your calves again. Give the workout here a try.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

It is indirect, but calves are involved in squatting and deadlifting, so don't forget those as well. They will make sure you don't have twigs down low.

Also, prowler pushing/sled dragging hit the calves nicely and can be done often.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

I think you are a little bit exaggerated. you just started working out and you are already paranoid with your calves.

before i give you some calve exercise, can you tell me first what exersices do you do in you legs.
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 AM
biglifter56 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I just recently came up with a calf workout that has been very effective thus far (6-8 weeks in).

I switch up the volume and number/order of exercises fairly regularly but it's basically as follows.

Start off each exercise with a light-ish set of 15-20 reps before getting into working sets. Working sets pyramid weights up and reps down 12,10,8. Do a double drop set on the last set. Sometimes I over shoot on the reps, sometimes I under shoot. The key is to aim for that rep range and to go until total failure. Don't be afraid to incorporate partial reps or forced reps.

Seated Calf Raises
Leg Press Calf Raises
Standing Smith Machine Calf Raises w/ Step
Standing Machine Calf Raises or 1 Legged Standing Calf Raises on steps with body weight 3x/failure.

On this last exercise, say I'm getting ~15 reps each set, I'll do 5 reps with standard footing, 5 reps, with my feet pointed out, 5 with my feet pointed in. It's something I saw Kai Greene doing in one of his training videos that I've found to be fairly effective.

One last tip, I'd recommend watching a few of Kai Greene's youtube videos and listen to what he says to focus on during each rep. He basically says that each rep should be a full stretch and a full contraction of the muscle, and your mind should be focused on the muscle your working, not just on moving the weight. When I began using this approach, I had to drop my weights by 25-35% but the benefits have definitely been noticeable. It's nice once you can get your ego out of the way and actually do the right amount of weight to get to failure and feel each squeeze and contraction in your muscle as much as possible rather than try just trying to move a lot of weight and making yourself more prone to injury.
6/18=228

Bulking till April.

Goals Get up to 240 by April
Cut to ~10%BF by july
Dont get hurt

Tags
big calves, calves exercises, calves workout