Good phone apps for cal counting? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Thedarkrose is back!
Stranger

Default Good phone apps for cal counting?

Hey I've been back from a 3 year injury for about a year now but my lifts are suffering tremendously. So I figure it's most likely due to my nutrition and as such I'd like to find a good app for my phone for easy counting of calories and nutrients. I've found a few so far but none of them give the same numbers.

Also if the app could help count calories used by exercises it'd be handy to count net calories ^_^

And while I'm at it what's a good formula to calculate my net calorie intake needed? It's another thing that most apps I fall upon change a lot on... I already know the whole +- 500 calories to gain or lose weight and to vary it up by 100 calories or so daily but I just can't seem to find the good basic formula...

Thanks in advance ^_^
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Racing5j should change his/her status!
Stranger

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
There is an app for your phone and it syncs with your computer so you can be current any where. There data base is good and you can customize your goals. % of protein, fat, & carbs can all be set. Glad to see your back at it after your injury. I've had 2 back surgeries and I'm in better shape now than ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Thedarkrose is back!
Stranger

Nice it's one of the app I found last night and the one I was leaning most for but how accurate is its net daily caloric intake? Shouldn't it take into consideration bf%? It's only other possible flaws I see are its lack of hiit and calorie values for strength training...

And that's awesome! Glad you're doing well racing! ^_^ I had a knee/hip injury that then led to a back one... My back is still weak but knees are back to 95% or so and my hip acts up every now and then but otherwise I'm in decent shape.

I've been back for about 10 months now and my lifts have been dropping like mad for the past 4 months or so, so now I hired a trainer and am starting to watch my diet more in hopes of getting back there again but I'm thinking my stence/lifts might not have been right and that might have been why lost about a plate on every lift...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Racing5j should change his/her status!
Stranger

I'm new to working out. I have spent the last year getting in shape and now I'm starting to build some lean muscle and cut the fat down. As far as gains and losses in the gym, from what I have read and been told diet is huge and it will be specific to you. Go hard in the gym and track your diet. Maybe some one else can shed some light on gains and losses.
Good luck
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
LocalRedHead is STILL dealing with a shoulder injury.
Rookie

Another one is FatSecret.

The company I work for (software developer) is in the business of making apps like this. We actually have a food tracking app ready to be released in the app store shortly.

I'm curious to know what "makes" a "good cal counting" application?

Ease of use? Synching with other devices?

What's your opinions?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Thedarkrose is back!
Stranger

I'd have to say easy to use, precise and customizable would easily make for an awesome app! Maybe with a reminder too could be handy! Right now I'm using myfitnesspal and I know the reminder would be nice and so would be the ability to have more than 3 meals plus snacks...

Good things it does have though is meal memory! That way when you make the same snack or meal often you don't have to go hunting the whole list of ingredients... It also has the handy feature of scanning an item if you want instead of searching for it. And last handy feature I can think of right now is the calorie counter which includes how many calories you burn through cardio(though it doesn't take in consideration the effects of hiit or the tabata protocol etc and lacks a count for weights though I'm not sure what formula could be used to count those calories spent)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM
LocalRedHead is STILL dealing with a shoulder injury.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedarkrose View Post
I'd have to say easy to use, precise and customizable would easily make for an awesome app! Maybe with a reminder too could be handy! Right now I'm using myfitnesspal and I know the reminder would be nice and so would be the ability to have more than 3 meals plus snacks...

Good things it does have though is meal memory! That way when you make the same snack or meal often you don't have to go hunting the whole list of ingredients... It also has the handy feature of scanning an item if you want instead of searching for it. And last handy feature I can think of right now is the calorie counter which includes how many calories you burn through cardio(though it doesn't take in consideration the effects of hiit or the tabata protocol etc and lacks a count for weights though I'm not sure what formula could be used to count those calories spent)
Thank you for your input. I'll put this to good use.

We've identified, as you have, that meal memory is crucial to usabiltiy.

Scanning the food item is an interesting option.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Silvan should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I use myfitnesspal.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Soljah_Grl is pumpin up the jam!
Stranger

I'm also a fan of myfitnesspal. I've been using it for over a year now and it's never failed me. Easy to use, keeps track of the things I need it to keep track of (Protein, Carbs, Fat) and I love that it gives me graphs to show my progress with measurements and my weight!