The creation of a personal trainer. - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

So I got my call back from the doctor over the physical that I went and had for school, with a particular question on my hormone levels. To start with my HDL levels are down draaastically and I need to work on this like mad. But most importantly, my testosterone levels are at 192. It should be over 500, all the way up to 800. I have a bad curve in my lumbar, I don't sleep, I'm obese, and there are other things that could affect this. Regardless, getting this fixed could be a life changer. I feel like **** every day, this could change that.

So my HDL may be at 37 if I heard correctly over the phone. I want it back above 40, if possible, well over 60-80.
My blood pressure is 130/72. This is prehypertension. This needs to drop below 120.
Bodyfat is at 31.52, I want it below 20.
Bodyweight is 242, Generally speaking (as in if muscle increase a lot this is obviously not nailed down) I want to be under 200.
My RHR is at 65 which is pretty good, but I want it under 60.
My hips (where I actually keep my pants line at) measures at 49. I want this down to 34.

More stats to come I'm sure.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com

Last edited by Algavinn; 10-11-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Middleweight

Day 6

Today we designed a general first workout for a hypothetical 60 year old man with knee pain (can squat but no lunge), but has exercise experience (aka already knows how to be active, just badly out of shape). Then we went through it and tried the workout, and continued on to analyze it afterwards. The only thing we didn't think would have been fitting was the around the world balance exercise (one footed moving around). The order could have been moved around a bit too.

Squat 2x12xBW
ball bridge 2x1 minute (one set moving, one isometric)
ball cobra 2x15xbw
cable chop 1x15x40, 1x20x70
TRX inverse row 2x12xBW
Around the world 1
assisted pullups 1x3
single leg shoulder press 2x15x15
calve raise 1x50xbw
dumbbell press 1x15x25's
pec stretch

wanted to do some more on my own but didn't have time tonight.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Middleweight

Day 7 and 8 (double hours on saturday)

Felt pretty good today, more rested, no pre-class stress boredom from work, and was pretty well fed.

We did a few exercises, including a very light tutorial set of each of the below:

lunge and variations
plan and variations
DB rows
seated rows
upright rows
inverted rows
overhead press
front shoulder raise
lateral shoulder raise
posterior shoulder raise
chest press
incline press
pushup and variations

Did some technique work on the clean and jerk.

We did some initial strength testing today:
Reach: 7'7"
High Jump: 8'10"
Difference: 15 inches
Broad Jump: 5'6"

For my exercise for strength tracking I chose the leg press, a familiar piece of equipment I am quite familiar with and generally like (its easy on my injuries for the most part). Though the angle on this one is severe enough that it compresses my abdominal cavity from the fat on my stomach and the thick waist lining of my shorts+the tie string. Because of this I really can't reach a max, but oh well.

On my 4th set I stopped at 8 reps of 440lbs on a high angle reclined leg press. I could have easily gotten 10-11, maybe 12, but the issues in my right hip socket were making it less safe so I stopped. From 10 reps it is projected my 1RM would be 570 but I know this is low for the above reasons. As I've only done one or two legpress workouts in the last few months, this will likely improve in the near future substantially.

Pretty enjoyable day. Time to go PWO shake it up....after I get juice somewhere.

Oh, and I did 2000m, 10 minutes, of rowing. That kicked my ***. Not in a cardiovascular way but my back muscles and to a degree my arms. Definitely enjoying rowing, even if it started to hurt lol...

Also did a few tire flips, but not much, mostly just wanted to try it. I like it, but something I have to be careful with on my back.

This next week I will get my testosterone checked again, shortly to follow with treatment, and my life should change. Working on my HDL levels too and thoughts to my upper and lower cross.

HDL strategy: Mostly just making sure I work out maximally at school mixed with refining my diet to exclude terrible terrible things that my budget has mandated, and improving some LDL fighting, and HDL empowering items:
-fibrous fruit, including dried fruit
-wheat breads, grains, oatmeal, cereals, quinoa
-salad and veggies
-almonds and walnuts (mostly walnuts)
-flax seed oils, and other supplements
-olive oil (I already pack lots of this) and avocados

I also tried the bio-impedance machine today, which is suggested given my obesity, it may be more accurate than the calipers, which suggested 31.52% bodyfat, though I'd like that tested again by another person for diversity of technique. I did the bio-impedance test twice, once with arms down, once with arms at 90% to ground which apparently is the more accurate. The latter gave me a reading of 29.9% (I think it was .9, I forgot soon after I took it). Either way, a bit better this way. The first reading was 27.something%. I expected around there, due to my muscularity.

Progress starts here. I think I will take some posing pictures in a few if I can get worthwhile lighting to chart my progress, hoping but not likely to repeat once a month or two if I can remember.

Thrivebodybalance.com

Last edited by Algavinn; 10-14-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Middleweight

Renewed my old back injury tonight...I dont know why I ever thought it was the spine, its a soft tissue injury. Laid up for a few days, PT appointment soon...

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Middleweight

PT appointment for friday, 2nd testosterone test for monday.

Today drove me kinda nuts because I couldn't really join in on the exercise and it was looking like a lot of fun. We were to do muscular endurance assessments today, which everyone else mostly did aside from myself. This included at least five of (either reps or time held):
-plank
-side plank
-wall sit
-dips
-pullups
-pushups
-lunge hold
-inverted row hold
-hollow pose

I will be going for plank, pushups, dips, inverted row hold, and pullups as the ones I most want to improve on/won't hurt joints. I will do these as soon as I feel healed, stable, and am cleared by my PT.

The actual team event tonight was 3v3 to complete, as a team, 1000m row, then 60 each leg pistol squats, 90 burpees, 60 pushups, 90? supermans. I may have gotten the order of the reps wrong but that was about right. The two teams were pretty close, 13 minutes, and 14 minutes 13 seconds I believe.

As I couldn't participate eventually I started doing standing lat pulldowns as this was the exercise most safe for myself to do while injured. I ended up doing 12x10x150. Pretty **** good pump actually, and probably wrecked my forearms. Tomorrow I think I will be doing bodyweight squats v100 style, 5x20xbw, and some delt work. I may think of some other stuff too. We shall see.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Middleweight

Day 9.

Today was coming up with and demonstrating workouts for the teres major, pectoralis major, and latissimus dorsi. As I'm injured, I couldn't do much physically though I designed a specific exercise (kettle ball swing with a military press style throw at the top like you might toss your kid), with parents in mind in a joking reference kinda way.

The class did Vo2 testing on the rowing machine but as I couldnt do that...

5x20xBW box squat.

Tomorrow I think I'll do shoulders.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Middleweight

Didn't actually workout yesterday so didn't bother with an entry. We just looked at and discussed exercises and the kinesiological aspects of the pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, and teres major.

Tonight was generally made up by a single circuit in practical (as in no other real exercises or demonstrations). Due to low sleep and food I saw stars and stopped after the first circuit. We worked with partners, doing an exercise for a minute, switching with them, moving to next station, and so on. It was a pretty good circuit, I just felt like utter ****e today.

Plank/rope slams
wallsit/single arm clean+jerk+squat thing
inverted row hold/lat pulldown
left lunge hold/right (couldnt do this with my knees tonight)
dip hold/rowing maximal effort (felt better than I thought with my back injury)

The class did two circuits, as mentioned I did one. I'm hating not participating for various reasons, I really needed it. The rest of this week and on the weekend I am intending on really working on my little projects: core work with planks, bridges, wood chops, etc.

Nutrition class feels pretty remedial, but that was expected. It isn't annoying me at least, and it's good for making me actually memorize things. I'm sure in a month or so we should be getting to some additional material I'm not as familiar with.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Middleweight

I have one friend, and possibly members of her family set up training programs under me, so I'm looking forward to getting some client experience in a more chill environment while I learn. I wont start that for at least a month or so though probably.

Tonight part of our practical was goal setting planning. Tonight was weird though, bloody sat for 30 minutes doing ***kall. Annoying waste of time. Either way though...

Did a short workout to work on a few of my own goals, but stopped early due to acute signals from my back warning possible reinjury. Did a bit though.

BW squat 3x20
Inverted BW rows 2x15
wood chops 2x20x30
bridge 2x1minute

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Middleweight

Finally managed a day class. Pretty cool people it seems.

Not much to report today. Just two tabatas for myself.

20secsx10secs, 6 reps Ski machine, then squat thrust.

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Middleweight

Short workout tonight, the squats made my lower back super weak in a warning signal way, so I stopped. Exhausted anyway.

BW squats+20
4x20xbw+20

Blue cable inverse pec fly
1x2o

Thrivebodybalance.com