jogging, losing fat, gaining muscle - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmholtz View Post
I got something useful! My nutrition and weightlifting were already pretty good but I thought about some of the points you made and a couple of weeks ago cut jogging out. Now the only form of "cardio" I do is sprints a couple of times a week and I have definitely gotten in better shape. I dropped from about 9% bf to around 7% in a couple of weeks and am the heaviest I have ever been at this lean. Thanks for the info.
Excellent work!

I am glad I could be of use. 7% is pretty darn lean, you ever consider doing a bodybuilding show?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Helmholtz is working to get bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Excellent work!

I am glad I could be of use. 7% is pretty darn lean, you ever consider doing a bodybuilding show?
I'm no where near big enough for a show. I only weigh in at about 140 lbs right now, although I have just enough muscle to not look scrawny. I suffered a shoulder injury back in Jan and had to stop working out completely for a few months. I started light lifting again a couple of months ago and just recently completely healed up to where my shoulder can tolerate heavy lifting.
Fortunately during my time off I got my nutrition down to a science and got as lean as I could. Hopefully, with my nutrition in order and a move to heavier lifting I should do a good job of adding lean muscle on now.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about your injury. Smart thinking using your time to get nutrition down.

How tall are you?

At 7% and 140, you could still look pretty good assuming you are 5'7" or under. Taller than that, I would agree that you need to put on some lean mass to compete.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Helmholtz is working to get bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Sorry about your injury. Smart thinking using your time to get nutrition down.

How tall are you?

At 7% and 140, you could still look pretty good assuming you are 5'7" or under. Taller than that, I would agree that you need to put on some lean mass to compete.
I'm around 5'11", so yea definitely on the skinny side. But I am just now starting to lift heavy and expect that as long as I stay on type of my nutrition I will make some nice gains.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I think you will, consistency is key. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Ectomorph42 is Newbie

Default Update

I've already lost 12 lbs of fat in jogging..my waistline is already 33.5"..

but I've also lost strength..because I don't eat too much in order to follow the formula..:

calorie consume < calorie expenditure

My bench and military press has dropped into 50 lbs..I can't lift no more..

my question:

should I still train my upper body? I think it is already nonsense since I don't eat enough and I have no strength to lift weights..

should I avoid resistance training in order to save my calories for jogging..?

how to maintain muscle mass when losing weight because of aerobics(jogging)? I'm planning to eat enough protein but will not do any resistance training to save my calories for jogging..it is correct?

Thanks..

Last edited by Ectomorph42; 10-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

Go back and reread your entire thread. Commander already answered these questions numerous times. The when you are done that . . . STOP TROLLING!!
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectomorph42 View Post
should I avoid resistance training in order to save my calories for jogging..?
You've just found the key to life long fitness and looking HYOOGE. Ditch the resistance training and eat more food so you can jog more.

How about eating while you jog? That would be even more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard24 View Post
Go back and reread your entire thread. Commander already answered these questions numerous times. The when you are done that . . . STOP TROLLING!!
Funny thing is, if you read my FIRST post (you don't even need to read the rest of the thread), I recommend EXACTLY the opposite of what he did. I said jogging sucks, and you'd be better off focusing on gaining lean mass...and he decides to jog and cut calories and surprise, surpise, is unhappy with the results.

Quote:
I don't think jogging is very valuable to be honest. It it hard on the body both in terms of your joints and hormonally. You don't get lean by burning a few calories from jogging. You get lean by eating healthy and having a muscular physique that burns calories just by virtue of having lots of muscle mass.

Better to focus on one goal, otherwise you are chasing the wind.
At your height/weight, you would make the most progress visually by adding some mass to your frame.

Last edited by Commander; 10-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.