jogging, losing fat, gaining muscle - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Ectomorph42 is Newbie

Default jogging, losing fat, gaining muscle

I'm planning to jog and do cardio in order to lose my stomach and belly..but I also do training for my chest and shoulders in order to gain mass..the question is, what should be my caloric intake in order to lose my stomach and at the same time gain mass for shoulder and chest? can I do it simultaneously?

Is it: calorie expenditure > calorie intake = in order to lose my stomach and belly?

but It is possible to gain mass for my shoulders and chest in that situation? even if I'm training them?

or: calorie intake > calorie expenditure = in order to gain mass for my shoulders and chest?

but it is possible to lose my stomach and belly in that situation even if I jog and do cardio exercises?

or I should focus only on gaining or losing and it cannot be done simultaneously?

Thanks..

Last edited by Ectomorph42; 09-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Answers in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectomorph42 View Post
I'm planning to jog and do cardio in order to lose my stomach and belly..but I also do training for my chest and shoulders in order to gain mass..the question is, what should be my caloric intake in order to lose my stomach and at the same time gain mass for shoulder and chest? can I do it simultaneously?

This was addressed in your previous thread. Short answer: You can, but it is very difficult

Is it: calorie expenditure > calorie intake = in order to lose my stomach and belly?

but It is possible to gain mass for my shoulders and chest in that situation? even if I'm training them?

or: calorie intake > calorie expenditure = in order to gain mass for my shoulders and chest?

but it is possible to lose my stomach and belly in that situation even if I jog and do cardio exercises?

This is the better of the two scenarios you present. If you are eating well and adding lean mass to your shoulders and chest, then you are more likely to be able to simultaneously lose some fat around the abdominals as a side benefit.

Keep in mind, I said better, but that doesn't mean I endorse it. I don't think jogging is very valuable to be honest. It it hard on the body both in terms of your joints and hormonally. You don't get lean by burning a few calories from jogging. You get lean by eating healthy and having a muscular physique that burns calories just by virtue of having lots of muscle mass.

or I should focus only on gaining or losing and it cannot be done simultaneously?

Better to focus on one goal, otherwise you are chasing the wind.
At your height/weight, you would make the most progress visually by adding some mass to your frame.

Thanks..

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-08-2012, 04:48 AM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

Quote:

Thanks..

you are a classic 'newbie'....as defined in all text books

i will give you one solid advice...put up a couple of your snaps...and then let likes of 'commander' tell you what to do ... and you just follow it... no questions asked?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Ectomorph42 is Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Answers in red
what should I do? should I not jog and not burn my calories in order to save my calories for building muscle?

or I should do jogging, burn calories and do training for my chest and shoulders and eat well and let the chips fall where they may?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Ectomorph42 is Newbie

additional question:

should I let my body weight drop in order to lose fat in my stomach and thighs? but I'm training my shoulders and chest so how is my weight should go? should I increase it or decrease it?

thanks?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
what should I do? should I not jog and not burn my calories in order to save my calories for building muscle?

or I should do jogging, burn calories and do training for my chest and shoulders and eat well and let the chips fall where they may?
My vote: Eat well and attempt to build muscle on your chest and shoulders. But don't neglect the rest of your body.

Even if you want to prioritize muscle growth on your chest and shoulders, still do some work for legs, back and arms.

Quote:
additional question:

should I let my body weight drop in order to lose fat in my stomach and thighs? but I'm training my shoulders and chest so how is my weight should go? should I increase it or decrease it?

thanks?
You are really overthinking this. Eat a healthy diet, consume adequate nutrients around your workout to make sure you are fueling your workout and recovery, get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water and workout hard. If you consistently eat well, sleep well and workout you will be happy with the results.

People who sweat the minutia haven't spent enough time just being consistent with their workouts. Once you have several solid years of consistent lifting under your belt, you will realize how silly all the really small details are.

And I already answered this question in the last post (found here)....are you even reading what I respond to you? I am trying to help you.

I said that you are likely going to increase weight if you are attempting to build some mass and if you are eating well. At your height/weight, you will probably look better and leaner with more muscle mass.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Ectomorph42 is Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
.are you even reading what I respond to you? I am trying to help you.

I said that you are likely going to increase weight if you are attempting to build some mass and if you are eating well. At your height/weight, you will probably look better and leaner with more muscle mass.

forgive me if I didn't understand what you're trying to say, but I've made up my mind to lose first my stomach and hips..should my weight decrease in order to do that? meaning I will do jogging, crunches etc..then I will eat less in order to lose my stomach and thighs..or can I eat sufficiently?

is it possible to lose my stomach even if I'm not losing weight? I want to lose 4 inches of it.. my target is 29" and my current stomach is 34..

Thanks..
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

With all due respect he's answered that question multiple times; read back his answers.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
forgive me if I didn't understand what you're trying to say
I can forgive you, no sweat. It's just that I tried to post answers directly below each question (like I did in this thread so as to make it very comprehendable, I am not sure how else to say it.

I will answer each question in order.

Quote:
but I've made up my mind to lose first my stomach and hips
OK, fair enough, that's your decision. But definitely not what I recommended.

Quote:
to lose first my stomach and hips..should my weight decrease in order to do that?
Yes, losing fat will mean your bodyweight is decreasing.

Quote:
meaning I will do jogging, crunches etc..then I will eat less in order to lose my stomach and thighs..or can I eat sufficiently?
No, you can't eat sufficiently in terms of calories burned equallying calories consumed. You should make sure you eating foods that are sufficient in quality macro and micro nutrients. Do not eat junk.

The overall formula for losing fat is:

Calories consumed < Calories burned

Crunches will not make you lose your stomach. That's not to say they are pointless, actually, crunches will help you build up your abdominals which can help with the appearance of leanness as your stomach muscles start to "show through" the fat so to speak. But don't get caught up in the idea of doing crunches to lose the fat on your stomach.

Jogging is okay to do, but again, not optimal. Fat loss is achieved with a healthy diet. Can jogging and activity create a caloric deficit? Sure, but the main way to create a caloric deficit is by eating less.

Quote:
is it possible to lose my stomach even if I'm not losing weight? I want to lose 4 inches of it.. my target is 29" and my current stomach is 34..

Thanks..
In terms of losing your stomach but not losing weight, you are talking about decreasing some fat while increasing some muscle, thus the bodyweight remains relatively stable.

Keep in mind, most people will not gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. However, there are 2 situations where you have the best chance to do this.

1. Extremely obese (not you)
2. Relative beginner

At, 5'6" and 148 lbs, you definitely fit into the second category. Right now is your main chance try and reach both objectives at the same time. Once you get to a more intermediate level in terms of your training, you will really need to focus on only one goal at a time to get any serious results.

Since you are a beginner, this is why I initially suggested (found here) that you work to gain some muscle. In the process of trying to gain muscle and only being in a slighty surplus, you stand the greatest chance of actually putting on some size to your shoulders and chest while losing some of your stomach fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
With all due respect he's answered that question multiple times; read back his answers.
Thanks Cory!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

Smile

All Hail to the Commander !!