ok guys,where to go from here............ - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
slimshad7 is hoping hes gettin somewhere
Rookie

just to show progress since i last uploaded those pics......i know its not a massive change but there is some improvement.......

now from here...should i try and cut some more fat off......or now just say balls to the fat and try and pack on muscle which i presume will make me add fat too :-( which ive gotta say.....does bother me quite abit!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Rookie

ok....lets try again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34811677@N04/7839846294/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34811677@N04/7839821758/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34811677@N04/7839838866/
Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM
girl007 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Looking hot! So what did u do to make the progress?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshad7 View Post
now from here...should i try and cut some more fat off......or now just say balls to the fat and try and pack on muscle which i presume will make me add fat too :-( which ive gotta say.....does bother me quite abit!!!
You look great!!!

Never do a true bulk that allows fat gain during the process. Instead, let the gains come slowly but surely, as you stay lean during the process.

That is the big lesson that took a decade for me to learn. A true bulk that allows fat gain is never worth it. The reason being is that when you go back and try to cut the fat off later on you end up losing a lot of strength and possibly even losing some hard earned muscle during cutting.

Instead, I'd recommend lifting as heavy as possible, trying to get stronger, all while doing what you have to do diet wise in order to keep the fat off.

Also, be realistic about how big you should expect to be naturally. Martin Berkhan has an equation that is meant to predict your maximum natural theoretical genetic muscular potential. I'd check into that just to get a good estimate. It will be worth it. You will be surprised to see that its a lot lower than you might have originally thought.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Rookie

thankyou girl007 and charles

youve always given me great advice charles and i thankyou for that...i really wanna do a strict clean bulk like you said with the odd cheat day ofcourse

ive just gotta get used to eating alot more than i do.......my calories are waaaay to low and they have been for way to long.

i'll get my arse in gear and give it a try....

what i have noticed is as silly as this sounds,i have about 4 cheat meals a week,not long started doing this....about 2 months ago and i seem to have got leaner and ive lost weight.......i was 86kg(189lbs) for a good 2-3 months before i started eating the cheat meals,now im at 79.5kg(175lbs)and definately leaner........weird!!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
i really wanna do a strict clean bulk like you said with the odd cheat day ofcourse
I'm not even sure I'd recommend bulking at all. It's more important first to have a good prediction as to roughly what your natural genetic muscular potential should be. Lyle McDonald wrote a good article about this. But just to give you a summary, Martin Berkhan came up with an impressively accurate equation that predicts what your maximum weight might be once you have reached your genetic potential at 5-6% body fat. It looks like this:
Weight (kg) = height (cm) -100.
So for me for example, I'm 5'9" = 175.26 cm.

So my maximum weight at 5-6% would be 175.26 - 100 = 75.26 kg.
Converting that back to lbs and we get about 166 lbs.

That doesn't sound like much. But if you look up pictures of people who are ripped at such low of body weight you will see that it actually is quite impressive. And also note that I've gained well over 50 lbs since the first time I ever picked up a barbel.

I'm about 180 lbs right now with a flat belly and I'm sure my abs will show if I drop down to 170 lbs. And as you know, I used to be 220 lbs, which is considered obese at my weight. If I never knew about those predictions, which actually are quite realistic, I still would have been wasting my time dreaming of the day that I'd be ripped at 200 lbs. And naturally at my height, I am sure ripped at 200 lbs would be impossible.

Anyways, my point is that you should have a realistic view as to how much you'll weigh at your peak. Otherwise all that extra weight you gain will be fat.

Your better bet is to predict your genetic potential. Then base your goals on that. Bulking is for skinny guys who haven't got any muscle yet where they can gain say 2-3 stone before they can hope to come close to reaching their genetic potential.

But once you have come close to your genetic potential, you won't gain like that anymore. Instead, your aim should be to keep lifting heavy in order to stay as strong as possible. Then do what you have to do to keep your diet straight in order to keep the fat off or even peruse goals of being as ripped as possible and staying that way for life.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Rookie

Me and you are about the same size then Charles as I'm 176cm......nice to know I've not got far to go to get to a low body fat percentage.....

My scales that read body fat % say I'm 24.5% bodyfat...I was starting to worry lol
Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Me and you are about the same size then Charles as I'm 176cm......nice to know I've not got far to go to get to a low body fat percentage.....

My scales that read body fat % say I'm 24.5% bodyfat...I was starting to worry lol
You're probably about 10% or less right now. That scale is garbage!

Also keep in mind that fluctuations in water make a big difference. My bet is that Berkhan's equation is a bit low and predicts measurements while you are a bit dehydrated and in contest shape. On the other hand, I found another equation that predicts 177 lbs and up to 185 lbs while bulked and obviously filled with glycogen.

So my idea is that so long as you have at least a range as an estimate, you then can be more realistic about things. Since having extra body fat gives you a few extra calories to play with, once you are in that maximum weight range I believe its better just to strive to be as lean as possible while maintaining weight or even losing weight if necessary. Because for example, if you eat enough to maintain weight, and if you are still capable of gaining muscle and continue to train hard, you'll end up getting leaner by losing fat and gaining muscle; and that is of course providing that you do have extra fat to burn. If you're 3% on the other hand you don't have anywhere to go.

That's kind of what I want to do right now because I know I have some extra fat on me, but I also want to gain some strength back. So I figure if I keep my calories low but eat enough carbs, I'll gain weight in water and glycogen which will also improve my performance in the gym and make me stronger, and I will also lose fat.