Help creating THE right diet for a me - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
toad should change his/her status!
Stranger

Question Help creating THE right diet for a me

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the game. Following a non-healing multiple fracture to the collarbone, it's been 18 months since I was first banned from lifting any kind of weight and I've put on quite a few pounds (or kg in my case) which I now intend to lose in favor of muscle.

My goal is not to near 0% body fat or be anything close to qualifying to be a fitness model. I do however intend to make the best of my 3x/week workouts in order to build decent volume and mass and loose the extra fat. Let's call it "mildly ripped".

My problem at this point would be my diet, which I'm apparently not doing right at all. Up until today I wasn't aware of how important this was. Since I've started dieting 13 days ago, I've lost 5kg by eating very little 3x a day (typically: Whey protein for breakfast, veggetables at lunch, slices of chicken breast at dinner). I now understand that, not only do I run the risk of slowing down my metabolism by eating insufficiently, but I also do not eat nearly enough calories to make my workouts any kind of efficient. Which finally gets me to the point (sorry for the huge post): I've been looking around for "out-of-the-box" diets that I could follow but they all assume that I can eat hot meals whenever I want and, for many of them, that I can work out during lunch.

So here's my situation:
- I work 5 days a week at an office (although I don't have an office) but eating mid-day snacks shouldn't be an issue. I'll handle the weird looks!
- At the office, there's no fridge, no microwave and no shops around, just the very unhealthy cafeteria (which is why I only get to eat veggies)
- I'm a consultant so I can bring stuff with me to work but not really leave it there (e.g., in my desk)
- I can only work out 3x a week (maybe 4 max) on weekday evenings and weekend mornings
- I eat Whey protein shakes but am unaware of and unfamiliar with all the other supplements and would prefer avoiding them if possible.
- I'll have unavoidable family dinners every Wednesday evening and Sunday lunch.
- I don't like any kind of salads

What should/can I eat and when to provide my body with that right amount of nutrients that'll make my workouts worth their while?

Last edited by toad; 07-09-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I would suggest reading these articles and then see if you still have questions:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.pdf
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/fatlossdiet.pdf

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Stranger

I had browsed through these articles and initially thought they were maybe too advanced for my "beginner" situation.

Now, following your advice, I read them completely and thoroughly and, although there is no denying I learned a great deal of very interesting information, I still do have quite a lot of questions:

- let's say I want to go on the second sample diet of the second article; by what can I replace meal 3,4 & 5 so that I can eat at my desk? I don't suppose I can eat three turkey sandwiches every day...
- both these articles fully assume that the reader will workout in the morning or at noon but this is impossible for me on weekdays; how should these dieting guidelines be adapted? (with regards to insulin sensitivity)
- according to both articles, one should start by only slightly reducing one's average daily calorie intake. Considering that I've been doing the worst for already two weeks (basically starving myself), where should I go from here? Should I just as suddenly revert back the "normal" amount?
- what are really close equivalents to salad?
- I have no beef with vitamin supplements (if only that I'm on a budget) but I don't feel so good about chromium. How essential is it?
- I didn't fully understand what efa's were (in terms of what foods it actually corresponds to, that is) and especially what is referred to with the omega-ratios.
- As I understand it, these diets imply that I cannot ever afford to eat a single meal that I haven't prepared myself; how can I combine that with mandatory family dinners without upsetting the in-laws?

These are just, off the top of my head, of few of the aspects that have me confused. More may follow

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Responses below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
- let's say I want to go on the second sample diet of the second article; by what can I replace meal 3,4 & 5 so that I can eat at my desk? I don't suppose I can eat three turkey sandwiches every day...

Meal 3 is the Post Workout Shake, simply move this to around your actual workout time.

Meal 4 should be fine assuming you can pack your lunch in a cool pack.

Meal 5 could be fine as well with a cool pack. But you could always do a can of tuna instead.

If you note in the first meal plan, it has suggested calories, carbs, protein and fat. Not saying these are exactly what you need, but based on those amounts, you can read labels and make smart substitutions that work for your situation.

- both these articles fully assume that the reader will workout in the morning or at noon but this is impossible for me on weekdays; how should these dieting guidelines be adapted? (with regards to insulin sensitivity)

First, I'd ask is it really impossible? I don't say this because I think you have to workout in the morning, rather, I say it to make sure you are challenging yourself. If you truly want something, you will find ways to make it work. That said, the best workout time and diet plan is one you can stick to, think CONSISTENCY.

The main shift would be to eat more of your carbohydrates closer to your workout, some before and some after, for fuel and recovery. The workout itself will increase your insulin sensitivity, so don't stress having carbs later in the day if you are working out as well.

- according to both articles, one should start by only slightly reducing one's average daily calorie intake. Considering that I've been doing the worst for already two weeks (basically starving myself), where should I go from here? Should I just as suddenly revert back the "normal" amount?

This is true, you should only slightly reduce, in essence, striving to get the most bang for your buck before reducing calories again when weight loss stalls.

Yes, you should revert to normal. Attempt to really narrow in on your baseline amount that keeps your weight stable for a few weeks. Then adjust from there.

- what are really close equivalents to salad?

This is where you need to use your imagination. Salads won't have many calories, so substitutions are minimal. Salads serve several purposes; prepare the digestive system for the main meal, provide micronutrients/vitamins from all the veggies, and even help you feel full so you don't eat as much at the main meal (helpful when dieting).

Preparing the digestive system can be done with a tablespoon or 2 of apple cider vinegar before the meal. You can get more miconutrients/vitamins in your diet from a multivitamin. And you can help yourself feel full prior to the main meal by drinking lots of water. But you could also identify a vegetable that you enjoy (maybe celery, carrots or cucumber) and is easy to pack in your lunch and just have that instead of preparing a salad each day.

- I have no beef with vitamin supplements (if only that I'm on a budget) but I don't feel so good about chromium. How essential is it?

Do the math on this, a multivitamin will have almost no impact on a budget, trust me. I am cheap and I am a numbers guy, I've run numerous spreadsheets on my diet plans. The expensive part of any diet is the protein, and not even the whey. Typically, per gram, whey is cheap. The real money comes from buying chicken, beef and fish.

Regarding chromium, what is your issue with it? Like all supplements, you can live without it, but it does help your body handle glucose which is great when you have all the sugar in the PWO shake.

- I didn't fully understand what efa's were (in terms of what foods it actually corresponds to, that is) and especially what is referred to with the omega-ratios.

EFA- Essential Fatty Acids. The best source tends to be seafood, but they are found in olive oil, some nuts, and a few other sources. The easiest way to get Omega 3's is through a supplemental fish oil. Omega Rationtypically refers to the balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in your diet. The ratio should favor Omega 3, if it favors Omega 6 (as it will in most Western diets), than it will lead to inflammation (a marker of many other health problems). Simply consuming a quality fish oil/omega 3 supplement tilts the ratio in your favor and reduces inflammation.

- As I understand it, these diets imply that I cannot ever afford to eat a single meal that I haven't prepared myself; how can I combine that with mandatory family dinners without upsetting the in-laws?

I believe the articles are driving home the point that consistency is required to meet your goals.

However, don't forget, you aren't following a diet that is set in stone.

If you know you are going to eat an unhealthy meal later in the day, You can make adjustments earlier in the day by reducing carbs and fat which gives you some room to eat a bit unhealthier with your family. You can also watch your portions at the family meal, or focus more on the better aspects of the meal while having less of the starch or fatty portion.

These are just, off the top of my head, of few of the aspects that have me confused. More may follow

Thanks
Hope that helps. My last point is probably the key to successful dieting, being able to make smart adjustments to your day, because life will throw your curveballs.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 07-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Stranger

Wow, thanks a lot for these comprehensive responses and for taking the time! I really appreciate it.

To get back to you on the few points you raised:

- Ok, yes, my bad. Sample diet #2 is easy. I probably should have taken the first one as an example.

- It's true that I may not always be the guy with the most unwavering motivation, but when I say morning workouts are impossible I mean that I leave home for work at 7:40 and there's no gym in my widest vicinity that opens before 9:30. As for mid-day workout, there's no gym (nor anything else for that matter) near my current work and, even if there was, my job as a consultant implies that I'm always moving around.

- The only issue I have with Chromium is my ignorance towards it.
Vitamins, I know. When I was a kid, I used to be fed some in pill form every morning during winter periods.
Whey, I'm fine with. I've heard and read times enough how it's a totally natural product originating from a totally natural source through a totally natural process.
I just don't know Chromium; aside the fact that it was used to make shiny car bumpers. When I look around, there seems to be mitigated opinions regarding it among non-commercial organisms.

- Ok, good to hear there can be some "wiggle room". What concerned me about "eating meals I haven't prepared" is not so much the fact that it'll be unhealthy, but really the fact that I'm supposed to add up all my meals to make up a precise amount of calories per day, whereas I have no idea of the nutritional content of a cooked meal prepared by someone else, however healthy it is.

Thanks again so much for the invaluable help!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
- Ok, good to hear there can be some "wiggle room". What concerned me about "eating meals I haven't prepared" is not so much the fact that it'll be unhealthy, but really the fact that I'm supposed to add up all my meals to make up a precise amount of calories per day, whereas I have no idea of the nutritional content of a cooked meal prepared by someone else, however healthy it is.

Thanks again so much for the invaluable help!
Don't stress the total content of those meals that you don't prepare. You eventually will get good at estimating. But as long as you focus on taking bigger portions of meat and veggies and smaller portions of starch, then you won't have to worry.

No problem, good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
[...]focus on taking bigger portions of meat [...]
My kind of meal anyway!