Herniated disc or pinched nerve? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Injury Analysis

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 AM
dannyjerome0 should change his/her status!

Default Herniated disc or pinched nerve?

I'm currently 28, and have been lifting on and off for about 6 years. I've had scoliosis and minor back problems since my teens but nothing major, just a couple issues with muscle spasms years ago.

Recently, I've had some pretty irritating pain that shoots down the back of my right leg whenever I bend over, stretch, do leg curls, or just torque my body in general. I had slightly thrown out my back a couple weeks ago, but it didn't stop me from continuing to lift. Today, I tried doing some squats, and could barely lift my own body weight from the rack. I can do dead lifts no problem. Leg presses, no problems there either. Whenever I have weight on my shoulders it seems, including standing calf raises, I get that sharp muscle spasm pain in my lower back, and now I can barely bend over at all without getting a shooting pain like lightning down my right leg from my hip to the back of my knee. Any thoughts?
Height: 5'7"
Estimated body fat: 10%
Current fitness goal: Bulking
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
RandyK should change his/her status!
Stranger

I had a similar issue about a year ago. Caused, most likely, in a different way than yours. I started doing yoga poses intended to help my back and almost immediately started feeling better. All the same I saw both an orthopedist and a neurologist after an MRI. Both said I had a protruding disk and each time I told then about the yoga and they each said "keep doing to yoga, surgery is only an absolute last resort". The orthopedist even said to do the yoga instead of any shots. Now feeling perfect!! (and I do yoga every morning!!)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM
dannyjerome0 should change his/her status!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyK View Post
I had a similar issue about a year ago. Caused, most likely, in a different way than yours. I started doing yoga poses intended to help my back and almost immediately started feeling better. All the same I saw both an orthopedist and a neurologist after an MRI. Both said I had a protruding disk and each time I told then about the yoga and they each said "keep doing to yoga, surgery is only an absolute last resort". The orthopedist even said to do the yoga instead of any shots. Now feeling perfect!! (and I do yoga every morning!!)
That's pretty much my scenario, too. I went to the doc, who said I had a herniated disc as well as minor muscle spasms (which I've had before a few times). The pain I was having was due to pressure on the sciatic nerve. He gave me a bunch of back stretches and exercises to do at home, and I'm already feeling better!
Height: 5'7"
Estimated body fat: 10%
Current fitness goal: Bulking
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
willie2 should change his/her status!
Stranger

I've been lifting for 30+ years and had both shoulders scoped and a few other injuries over the years...my back has held up fairly well with the exception of a current issue that baffles me...My lower back, glutes and hamstrings spasm up and the pain become intense to the point I can't sit...this all comes and goes but lasts for a couple of days before it starts dissipating...the only thing that I've taken is fish oil and L-Arginine (500mg)...I stopped taking those 2 to see if one of then might be the cause...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
saunterer should change his/her status!
Stranger

A pinched nerve can occur at several sites in your body. A herniated disk in your lower spine, for example, may put pressure on a nerve root, causing pain that radiates down the back of your leg (sciatica). Likewise, a pinched nerve in your wrist can lead to pain and numbness in your hand and fingers.