Commanding My Body - Page 199 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

log is looking good as usual! have you started consuming less protien and more carbs? if so, how is it going for you? I can tell you...I have been eating significantly less as of late because of moving, etc..and i have not lost any size/strenght...goes to show you timing is everything!

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
log is looking good as usual! have you started consuming less protien and more carbs? if so, how is it going for you? I can tell you...I have been eating significantly less as of late because of moving, etc..and i have not lost any size/strenght...goes to show you timing is everything!
Thanks BigBear!

Yes, I chose to consume less protein to save money and I ended up cutting some carbs simply because my appetite shrank unexplicably. I haven't seemed to lose any muscle mass. In fact, I am still trying to gain lean mass and the scale is slowly creeping up, so things are very positive on that front.

Timing is definitely vastly important. I begin consuming my periworkout shake about 10 minutes prior. It is loaded with dextrose, whey, creatine, BCAA, sodium and loads of water to make sure it is dilute. That way I know I am fueling my workout and recovery maximally. After training, I have my biggest meal of the day to further facilitate nutrient partitioning and recovery. So even with consuming less overall, I take in so much quality nutrition in about a 2.5 hour window around my workout, I am at least maintaining all lean mass, if not gaining some.

------

Prior to this Monday, I wrapped up an intense 4 weeks of Legs/Pull/Push. Deadlifting 4 days a week and Squatting 2. The squat days were intense with partial reps, pumping techniques, speed reps, etc. I think I gave my knee a beating.

I pushed through week 4 but I knew I was pushing it too hard for too long. Now I am paying the price. One of the motivations for my 3 day Push spec phase was to build my upperbody, but I also needed to give my knee a break. I couldn't even do OH Press today due to the "dip" to get some leg drive, it killed my knee. I tried squats and deadlifts with just bodyweight to see how things were and they hurt too, I hate when I do stupid stuff like that. Even tire drags for legs hurt last night so they have to be dropped for now.

The positive? I guess I can really focus on upperbody for a while.

Push Day #2

* Bench work supersetted with Bicep Pump work or Ring Rows (not noted below)
* Preceded each new Bench exercise with Chest Pump work (not noted below)

Bench
170, 190, 195, 200, 205, 210, 215, 220, 225, 230x3

Ring Dips
BW+10 x 6, 4 sets

Bench (Chains +50)
135x6, 4 sets

Partial Bench (10 middle reps and 5 top reps - constant tension, then 3 full reps)
135, 3 sets

Chest Pump Work

SS W/

Speed Bench
135x3, 3 sets
155x3, 2 sets

1 set pushup to failure, emphasizing the stretch position with pauses and partials

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 06-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Heavyweight

awesome, commander!!! I have been following almost the same protocol for meals as you..I just didnt know it! lol...my shake is the same (minus creatine and bcaa)..just protien and TONS of carbs. my biggest meal is usually after my workout too...I think it might just be the summer that made your appetite shrink, because mine sure has.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
awesome, commander!!! I have been following almost the same protocol for meals as you..I just didnt know it! lol...my shake is the same (minus creatine and bcaa)..just protien and TONS of carbs. my biggest meal is usually after my workout too...I think it might just be the summer that made your appetite shrink, because mine sure has.
How many carbs are you taking in? I am up to 90 grams dextrose right now, it makes for a TASTY shake! I mix a bit of dark cocoa in too. Chocolate flavor FTW.

Might be summer, but I actually think it was my metabolism normalizing somewhat post contest. To explain: After the show, I started eating more, and my body craved the extra food (naturally) due to being restricted for months. As a result, my metabolism really revved up, super fast. I think it was bound to come down eventually. I have a naturally high metabolism, but it was higher than normal even for the several weeks post show.

Last Night

Afternoon

Tire Dragging - heavier than normal, and really focused on being aggressive, just KILLING the weight right from the get go

5 sets of pushing, 4 sets of pulling, all in about 15 minutes

Evening

Speed Bench
130 (+50) x 3, 10 sets

SS w/

Band Face Pulls

* done in about 8 minutes, great little workout and stimulus

Push Day #3

* Bench work supersetted with Bicep Pump work or Ring Rows (not noted below)

Bench (Chains +50)
130 (+10 each set) 190x3
170x5

Bench
170x6, 4 sets

Ring Dips
BW x 6, 4 sets

Partial Bench (10 middle reps and 5 top reps - constant tension, then 5 full reps)
135, 3 sets

Chest Pump Work

SS W/

Speed Bench (Chains +50)
120x3, 3 sets
130x3, 4 sets

2 sets of pushup to failure, emphasizing the stretch position with pauses and partials

----

Great 3 days of specialing on pushing. My chest is pumped beyond belief with a nice deep soreness, not trashed, but I can tell that I tapped into some fibers that haven't been tapped recently. Nice it's time for supercompensation.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 06-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Heavyweight

couldnt tell you how many I eat during the whole day...I kinda just eye ball my food and know how much I can eat to gain/lose/maintain...i do keep a more strict eye when trying to lose though..but my workout shake is 90g cho..45 dextrose, 45 carbo-gain

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
couldnt tell you how many I eat during the whole day...I kinda just eye ball my food and know how much I can eat to gain/lose/maintain...i do keep a more strict eye when trying to lose though..but my workout shake is 90g cho..45 dextrose, 45 carbo-gain
Oh, I meant PWO, thanks. We're both at 90g cho, good stuff. Makes for a sweet shake.

-----

Last Night

Finished up my 3 day Push Spec Phase with some Chain Bench. On the last set, I did some rest pause until I lost speed.

Chain Bench (+50)
130x3, 7 sets
130x3 +3 +3 +3

SS w/

Band Face Pull, 6 to 8 reps, good squeeze

Thursday

Pull Day

* Tricep Pump sets between most sets of back

Stiff Arm Band Lat Pulldown for pre-pump of lats

Front Lever x 8

Underhand Scrape the Rack Row (pulling up AND pulling back against rack)
130 (+10) 170x3

Underhand Scrape the Rack Row
140x6, 4 sets

Overhand Scrape the Rack Row (Chains +50)
100x6, 4 sets

Lat Pulldown
100x8, 4 sets
100x8 - on the 5th set, paused all reps in the stretch position

SS W/

100x3, 5 sets

------

So right knee continues to hurt, I am an idiot and keep aggravating it by testing various bodyweight exercises to see if ANYTHING works.

It all hurts (with one exception noted below), so it is time to give it rest. I can take comfort in the fact that:
1) they are the best looking they have ever been and
2) I hit them HARD for the last 4 weeks, so if anything, they should NOT detrain if I take some time off, but rather, they should undergo some supercompensation provided I don't have to rest my knee for too long.

One positive, I can do box jumps (onto a box, NOT over a box). Two reasons I think I can do them:
1) Limited ROM, my knee doesn't hurt until about 1/2 down into a deadlift or squat position. Vertical jumps don't require too long of an eccentric to jump properly.
2) Landing on the box reducesd impact on the knee.

Thus, I will continue to throw box jumps into my routine between sets of upperbody.

Last edited by Commander; 06-21-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Heavyweight

yeah, its a lot of sugar!! I can never understand why my wife complains about pregnancy glucose tests...they make her sick..my shakes are great!!! LOL. If I dont eat soon enough after a workout, I tend to crash hard though

Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
yeah, its a lot of sugar!! I can never understand why my wife complains about pregnancy glucose tests...they make her sick..my shakes are great!!! LOL. If I dont eat soon enough after a workout, I tend to crash hard though
Same here, I love my shake, I really look forward to it.

-----

Last Night

OK, so I lied yesterday when I said I was going to rest my knee, ha, ha.

I love experimenting and finding ways to train around pain...not through it (well, at least not when it gets bad, I'll train through smaller pain, of course, that is probably what LEADS to bad pain, hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't do that anymore, lol).

Viola! Front Box Squats! They took the shear stress off my knee and enabled me to squat pain free. Good mornings and SLDL are both OK due to the limited knee bend and shear stress. Thus I can at least continue to hit legs in some fashion.

Front Box Squat - worked up to 170x3 pain free

Chain Bench (+50)
130x3, 4 sets

SS w/

Band Face Pull, 6 to 8 reps, good squeeze

Overhand Rack Row (Chains +50)
120x3, 8 sets

SS w/ Tricep Pump work

Friday

Pull Day

* Tricep Pump sets between most sets of back
* Box Jumps thrown in throughout workout in sets of 1 jump

Front Box Squat (Chains +50)
120x5, 5 sets

SS w/

Stiff Arm Band Lat Pulldown for pre-pump of lats

Front Lever x 6

Ring Row - paused in stretch position
BWx6, 4 sets

Overhand Scrape the Rack Row (pulling up AND pulling back against rack)
130x6, 4 sets

Lat Pulldown - constant tension, pause in contraction
100x8, 7 sets

100x3, 8 sets

Last edited by Commander; 06-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Heavyweight

great innovation!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
great innovation!
Thanks, feels good to at least do something for the legs with weight. Don't get me wrong, I love the box jumps, but pushing weight just feels right.

------

Saturday

Push Day

* Bench work supersetted with Bicep Pump work (not noted below)

Front Squat
120 (+10 each set) 160x5

SS w/

Chest pre-pump work (pushup partials)

Bench (Chains +50)
130 (+10 each set) 190x3, 195x3
175x5

Bench
175x6, 4 sets

Ring Dips
BW +5 x 6, 1 set
BW +10 x 6, 3 sets

Partial Bench (10 middle reps and 5 top reps - constant tension, then 5 full reps)
135, 3 sets

Chest Pump Work

SS W/

Speed Bench (Chains +50)
120x3, 5 sets

2 sets of pushup to failure, emphasizing the stretch position with pauses and partials

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength