New Runner Needs a Leg Workout - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
dannyjerome0 should change his/her status!

Default New Runner Needs a Leg Workout

Hey all,

I just started a running training program to get me in shape this summer. I've signed up for several races as well (5k's mostly). I still lift three days a week, and my workouts stay in the 8 - 12 rep range, with just 60 seconds rest between sets (trying to improve endurance). My problem is that when I do my leg workouts, my legs are too sore to run. Anyone have any ideas what I could do for leg days that will continue to build strength without the DOMS?
Height: 5'7"
Estimated body fat: 10%
Current fitness goal: Bulking
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I've learned to live with it and found after I get some blood flowing through during cardio my legs actually feel better.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

The doms will lessen and fade after time. I always get almost disappointed in a way when I lift consistently enough for my doms to stop showing up, just getting stiffness instead. Also active recovery will help your doms fade quicker. As will proper nutrition and lots of water. Glutamine supplementation is also held by some to help healing better but I don't know if it will stop doms. If nothing else, start with lower numbers of sets and work up over time to a higher load to help keep you on the road.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

First thing is that it looks like your goals are not consistent. In your post you say you have started a “running training program to get in shape this summer”, but your sig identifies your fitness goal as “bulking”. Now maybe you just have not updated your sig, but first make sure you have a clearly defined goal or you will never succeed.

Second, you don’t need to do a running program to get in shape. I believe that weight training can do a better job of that than just running. All you need to do is adjust your diet and set up a consistent training program. You could just listen to your body which seems to be telling you that it can’t handle the additional running as well as the weight training and just decide to do one or the other.

Finally, if you are determined to continue with the running I would agree with the others. Your legs might be killing you at first, but once you get into your run the pain usually subsides. It is almost impossible to increase strength without discomfort. You know, the whole No Pain No Gain thing.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23