the OCD diaries.... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

Default the OCD diaries....

ok so some of you may remember me i remember a couple of you... most are new to me some are old hats.

Yeah... i have been away for several years. so let me say a few words to all my old friends.

1. nuts.

2. sorry for being a jerk way back in the day. i looked back on a couple of my old threads and posts and was kinda embarrassed. Im different now couple life events ( college, religious mission for two years, marriage, child, getting way away from lifting)

3. like i said, im in bad shape now, not a ****y jerk anymore ( trust me i was bad like i had some of my posts and threads actually deleted by the mods) and in a lot of need for some serious help.

Ok so i have not TOUCHED a weight since july of 2009. Sorry i know i have sinned. At the time i thought i was some tough stuff. Now im just stuff....

Been doing a lot of searching around for a good routine, since my old ones are WAY too hard for me now and i will die if i try them.

So i have decided to do a 5x5! well, its actually gonna be a 3x5 but you know its that type of routine. Same general idea for newbs and yea.

Oh, one word of advice, when you don't lift for three years, your first day back in the gym it is not advisable to try a 20 rep squats routine. You will die.

But on saturday when i was done being dead, i went to the gym and practiced and tried to perfect all the lifts i will be doing in my routine. These were my lifts and numbers:

squats 7 reps x 215 lbs. Deep high bar squats (the only way to squat IMO) legs are sore.

deadlifts 8 reps at 265 lbs. used mixed grip

barbell rows (never done these much, first time doing them pendlay row style) 135 at 5 reps.

flat bench 135 at 5 reps.

NOte on the bench. I have two messed up shoulders. Took like 45 minutes practicing bench form as taught by the great mark ripptoe. Did't hurt shoulders once form was down but nonetheless gonna go slow on these.

OHP 105 at 5 reps.

Pullups 9 reps

Dips 9 reps ( i do my dips different sorry don't know how to describe how will have to take pics. Basically, gives me a HUGE ROM and makes them way harder)

Decline situps blah... wussed out did like 12 and said forget this....

5'9" 170lbs dressed in gym clothes.

So my routines will look like this for probably the next twelve weeks at least:

M/w/f type

Day 1:
squats 3x5
bench 3x5
BB row 3x5
dips 2x5

Day 2:
squats 3x5
OHP 3x5
Deads 1x5
Chins 3x8

some light cardio after each workout with hard stretching after each set.

My goals are by the end of the year have a 500lb deadlift and a 400lb squat. bench goal= not die. Benching has me nervous i always avoided it but had crap pressing strength too... well, ohp not bad but chest strength always sucked.

so we'll see how it goes... By sometime next year i would like to start competing in either powerlifting or o-lifting, so thinking about maybe instead of just doing the OHP doing a clean and press... maybe idk my gym does not have bumper plates...

So yeah any suggestions? places where i make big mistakes?

this is not either a bill starr nor mark ripptoe nor stronglifts nor pendlay 5x5 exactly. its almost, but not quite i changed them just BARELY to make me a little happier... well, they said i could if i really wanted to so yeah.... Added dips... i like dips....ripptoe said if your starting out train your abs... so i said yes sir... he's awfully funny by the way...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Light-Heavyweight

oh and just so you know there may be some muscle memory (hopefully) going on PLUS some newbie gains (they say its just happens once... Im hoping to make it twice since its been so long).

last workout i did before i went on my mission i remember squatting 245lbs for 17 straight reps.

i can't remember how much i did on the sldl (did those alot back then)but it was for twelve reps i rememer for somethin like 330 lbs.. A little more than the three 45s per side.

Last edited by spider-man; 05-21-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

welcome back! I have started training for strenght, like you are talking about..I would advise against cardio after lifting. the 3x5 will be done 3 days a week. I have found great success in doing a jog day and an interval day on seperate days from lifting...lookign forward to watching the progress though!

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Welcome back Spiderman

There will definitely be some muscle memory going on. In fact, your numbers are still relatively decent for a 3 year layoff. You will likely get stronger quickly on 3x5.

Good choice going with Starting Strength.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

Welcome back. Work smart and hard!
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Light-Heavyweight

so did tonights routine a little later than usually, but as went pretty well.

I decided to keep the weights a little lighter than what im physically capable, as i am in kinda crappy shape. Oddly i feel like on the ohp it was almost all i could handle with awesomely freakin sweet form. Oh yeah thats the other reason i kept lighter. TO focus on form.

1. squats 185lbs 3x5
2. ohp 95 lbs 3x5 (had a hard time stayin under the bar on the last set, really had to focus on pushing out my hips to get under it.)
3. deadlifts 255 lbs 1x5
4. pullups 3x6 (got weaker since saturday on these was afraid that would happen. idk why when i don't do these for a while, i stay allright, but once i get workout number two, its like i lost strength. Whatever ill get better)

so my goal is this: in 8 weeks and 24 workouts time, have a 300lb squat. So that will be a steady 5lb increase each workout from now till then. Hopefully a 150lb OHP as well (if not more) and im undecided on deadlifts, but thinkin an 80-100lb increase sounds good, (realistically probably more like 60 but hey im aiming high) for a total of about 345-355 for 5 reps. so we'll see.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
so my goal is this: in 8 weeks and 24 workouts time, have a 300lb squat. So that will be a steady 5lb increase each workout from now till then. Hopefully a 150lb OHP as well (if not more) and im undecided on deadlifts, but thinkin an 80-100lb increase sounds good, (realistically probably more like 60 but hey im aiming high) for a total of about 345-355 for 5 reps. so we'll see.
Slow down buddy, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It will come.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Slow down buddy, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It will come.
yeah i know.

my friggin knee hurts today. I was trying to change my squat form a little yesterday. do more hip drive like they say. But i also used a wider stance. ow. Knee hurts. gonna keep it a little closer from now on.

basically i was using a 100% powerlifter stance. Something closer to olympic squats is more my style...
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Light-Heavyweight

kept my squat form a little tighter today. Felt good. went way deep liked it alot....

Bench still bothering my shoulder a little bit. I gotta take my time on them. Even with the new form i have been using (god-sent miracle almost no pain compared to what i had before) I am thinking that with the shoulder dislocates and all the other work that i am doing for my shoulders (OHP, bb row, pullups, even deadlifts help it feels like) if the pain doesn't steadily lessen or go away within a few weeks i will just replace flat bench with inclines, with which i have NO pain whatsoever (plus i feel its a better exercise all around).

Squats 195-3x5
Bench 135-3x5
BB Row 135- 3x5
Dips BW- 2x7 (got slightly weaker on these too, but it felt like i was just flat tired more than anything in the arms.)

all in all took less than half an hour tons of warmup sets included for each... like 4 or 5.

I am much more used to the really high octane workouts, like for example full body workout 1-2 sets per exercise 6-10 exercises of bust your cajones super freakin retarded hard sets (20 rep squats anyone anyone)! missing that now that i am doing this. Don't really know what to do between rest periods. After 8-12 weeks of this i think i am going to rev it up. Keep the same exercises probably just do the sets differently. More dynamically.

Oh on a side note, even though this was only my third real workout since i started again i am already starting to feel stronger and more grr... naw mean? workout B is more awesome-er than the a workout too... squats deads ohp pullups... yeah baby...

Last edited by spider-man; 05-25-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Light-Heavyweight

todays workout went well.

squats 200x5
OHP 100x5
deadlifts 265 x5
pullups bwx9 (back up to where i was!)

good stuff. Feel like my hamstring was hurting very very slightly for like 2 minutes... but all good.

hasta la proxima....