Cut during a 5 x 5 program - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
dannyjerome0 should change his/her status!

Default Cut during a 5 x 5 program

I'm starting a 5 x 5 training program soon. Is it possible to cut during this? I want to get stronger, but I just finished a bulking routine and have gained a good amount of weight. I feel like I would just be hurting my 5 x 5 program by throwing in cardio training, but I was wondering if anyone has successfully cut while building up strength....
Height: 5'7"
Estimated body fat: 10%
Current fitness goal: Bulking
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Typically, when one is cutting, the goal is to maintain strength because that indicates that muscle mass is being preserved while fat is being lost (assuming scale weight is dropping).

It is possible, assuming everything is in order, i.e. sleep, nutrition, sound workout plan, to add some weight to the bar while cutting, but it is not generally advisable to be aiming towards BOTH goals at the same time.

Pick a goal, either cutting or gaining strength.

If you pick cutting and are occasionally able to add weight to the bar, more power to you, but don't stress if you only maintain.

If you pick gaining strength as you goal, and you are concerned about your excess bulk right now, than eat to roughly maintain your weight and you may get some bodycomp improvement.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

I firmly believe that you do not need to add cardio to make it a “cutting workout”. It is much more about maintaining a calorie deficit through your diet. So I wouldn’t worry about the cardio hurting the 5x5. I’d be more concerned about the calorie deficit. The problem you are going to run into is that the 5x5 program is built around standard progression. Most likely you will not have any problems progressing at first as your body adapts to the increased frequency and volume. However as time goes on you will find it hard to increase your weights in a constant calorie deficit. I would say that since you won’t be able to increase the weight you are moving during the cut, choose a program where you can vary the set/rep scheme to adjust intensity.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I like man cardio aka Strongman exercises, sled pulling, prowler pushing and sprinting. Not only will it get you leaner it will ger you better conditioned.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Cardio isn't needed at all during a cut. The only thing that is needed is a calorie deficit. There are two ways to do this:
1. Preferably go for the foods that are highly satisfying and low in calories. Examples are fruits (less sweet ones), vegetables, and lean meats.
2. Eat less and/or less often.

Gaining strength while cutting will be dependent on where you're at. I have done it before. But like I said, it really does depend. If you're out of shape then no problem. But if you've been working your but off and are the strongest you've been in your life, I wish you lots of luck, because you're going to need it!

Either way, you should at least try. You can't do it if you don't try.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Jyzz is the son of Aesthetics
Stranger

Charles got it right except for number 2. That would be unhealthy if you don't eat enough. Like those ugly models that weigh 40kilos and people think their hot, urgh.
But yes aim for foods with low calories. As long as your burning more calories than your eating you WILL be cutting. NO cardio needed.