Intermittent fasting - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM
schm1840 is prepping for oct 22
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer20 View Post
i was wondering what your guys thoughts on Intermittent fasting was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Izzo View Post
Do you train in the fasted state? Or do you have at least one meal earlier in the day before your workout?

I have tried training in the fasted state for a handful of workouts and I'm not sure I like it so much. Since I typically like 2 meals later in the day and my workouts are in the morning, I am thinking I might start having small breakfasts on my workout days. A little bit of egg whites and maybe some potatoes, grits, or oatmeal might be all I need.
I have been practicing intermittent fasting for a little over a year now and I have had success with cuts and strength gains (even on cuts). I love the approach and I am I guess what you would call anal retentive because on top of IF'ing I DO count calories and monitor my macros . . . I do this so I can work all the nummy stuff in too, like ice cream and PB&Js.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqxj...rqeDIaLOkdpxyl

above is a video of me 8 weeks deep on a 10 week cut getting a PR on weighted chins.

If I could figure out how to post pictures I would post my final progress pictures of my cut but I can't sorry.

Last edited by schm1840; 02-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

sadly IF is utter crap! you will NEVER find anyone over 200lb who does this style.. it has no use for muscle holding...
Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
sadly IF is utter crap! you will NEVER find anyone over 200lb who does this style.. it has no use for muscle holding...
I completely disagree. IF helped me get over 200 while remaining lean. And in terms of muscle holding, it is helping me retain muscle while cutting. My cut is going very smooth thanks to IF.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I completely disagree. IF helped me get over 200 while remaining lean. And in terms of muscle holding, it is helping me retain muscle while cutting. My cut is going very smooth thanks to IF.
its an unproven method basically pushed on the industry by a guy running a blog.. like FST-7, and silk aminos... just another fad thing in my opinion.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
its an unproven method basically pushed on the industry by a guy running a blog.. like FST-7, and silk aminos... just another fad thing in my opinion.
Unproved? That is why I first used myself as a demonstrations.

Also, if you are referring to "LeanGains" blog, he links and references lots of scientific journals.

Many people and top coaches are reading/writing/talking about and trying it. Just check out many T-Nation authors, CT, John Romaniello, John Berardi (a very respected nutritionist), Lyle MacDonald.

Let's not forget, even if there were not research to back it up, that by itself wouldn't mean much. There was a time when bodybuilding in general was shunned and many of the respected, tried and true methods of the Golden Era were thought to be crazy. But as the years progressed, most of those methods were vindicated by science, i.e. carb cycling, high protein diets, etc, etc.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Stranger

Quote:

Also, if you are referring to "LeanGains" blog, he links and references lots of scientific journals.

Many people and top coaches are reading/writing/talking about and trying it. Just check out many T-Nation authors, CT, John Romaniello, John Berardi (a very respected nutritionist), Lyle MacDonald.

Let's not forget, even if there were not research to back it up, that by itself wouldn't mean much. There was a time when bodybuilding in general was shunned and many of the respected, tried and true methods of the Golden Era were thought to be crazy. But as the years progressed, most of those methods were vindicated by science, i.e. carb cycling, high protein diets, etc, etc.
Agreed . . . far from a "bullcrap" approach. I am 188ish and fairly lean . . . I stay lean year round . . even during my bulks.

Plenty of scientific info out there in favor of it, though it may not take total advantage of protein synthesis in terms of a low meal frequency . . . lean muscle gaining can still be done.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

by the same context... Layne Norton stated its another Fad and utter crap.. there will always be people for and against it.. personally it doesnt work for me. i tried it for 3 weeks and all that happened was hunger pangs, lose of strength and desire to do nothing at all.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
by the same context... Layne Norton stated its another Fad and utter crap..
Really? I wouldn't say he is anywhere near that harsh on IF. (Highlights my own)

Skye: Intermittent fasting is becoming popular and people have been reporting great results without that “I’m on a diet feeling”, what’s your view on intermittent fasting?

Layne: I think that by and large it's not bad. I think that you can certainly get lean doing it, but I do not think you will optimize your muscle mass on it.

My PhD research definitely demonstrated that proper distribution of protein intake makes a difference in muscle mass. Now for the average non-competitor who just wants to look good and finds this way of eating easier than traditional bodybuilding diets, I think it's probably fine. But I think it's a big stretch to suggest you can optimize muscle mass using intermittent fasting.

But I also think that at the opposite end of the spectrum people put too much emphasis on having to eat every 2-3 hours which is really nonsense.

http://www.free-workout-plans-for-bu...interview.html

Quote:
there will always be people for and against it.. personally it doesnt work for me. i tried it for 3 weeks and all that happened was hunger pangs, lose of strength and desire to do nothing at all.
There is obviously a period of adjustment due to engrained eating patterns and hormonal responses. I bet it would have worked if you ploughed through. That said, I understand it isn't for everyone.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Stranger

What commander said . . . . . another fad and utter crap . . . . human beings fast when they are sleeping . . . . like he said too in terms of getting use to the programming . . . . glucose won't be released into your blood as frequent which will help with hunger . . .
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by schm1840 View Post
What commander said . . . . . another fad and utter crap . . . . human beings fast when they are sleeping . . . . like he said too in terms of getting use to the programming . . . . glucose won't be released into your blood as frequent which will help with hunger . . .
NOT another fad and utter crap***