Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
thisdude should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
curls in the squat rack

Why do people do this? It drives me nuts. What is the benefit of it?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdude View Post
Why do people do this? It drives me nuts. What is the benefit of it?
I curl in the squat rack but that is because I own the squat rack lol.

It is usually in gyms where very few actually squat. The other reason is they are too lazy to bend down and pick the barbell up to get it into position because they probably never deadlifted in their life.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
thisdude should change his/her status!
Stranger

I should have phrased that differently. Regarding the people who ONLY do curls. If you are that one guy who does squats, then yeah, you can do whatever you please with the rack.

My gym has a rack specifically for the curl bar, so I guess its a touch different here.

Last edited by thisdude; 11-18-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Spectre is getting stronger.
Bantamweight

The only benefit I see of doing curls in the squat rack is drop sets and the like. I've done it before, but only when the gym is pretty much empty, and I give priority to anyone who wants to use it for compound movements.

Train Hard.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Zee-German is bulking, goal of 250lbs
Middleweight

Well yesterday, I was doing a double drop set with db flies at the end...In between dropping weight, some guy asked if I could spot him...I literally said, "Sure if you give me a minute" and proceeded with the rest of those sets...Took me about 2-3 minutes due to rest pauses. After, I spotted him.

I dont know, but this drive and focus I have in the gym, Ive honestly turned into a bit of a dick really. Aka not really caring about anyone else but me. But it works, and I remain focused. The worst is when some of my Marines come in, and start chit chat when im going at it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
Stuff like that makes me appreciate my shed even more. Before the shed was my basement at my last home. I have not been a member of a gym in over 3 years and do not miss it. I went to the gym once where my wife goes to a few months ago and I pretty much hated it.

My advice to you is if you can not have a home gym find a better gym where people are actually serious. I used to go and work at a gym and some of the dumbest things I have seen are people sitting on benches talking on cell phones, curls in the squat rack, and one time when I was deadlifting these dumb kids were standing right next to my barbell and I proceeded to do my set and nearly took one of the idiots out.

If you can get a home gym the basics are a power rack, barbell, bench, and plates. Look for the plates and barbell used if possible. Get some plywood to protect your floor. You do not need expensive mats you can find cheap ones that connect like I did and pay less than $50. When you build a home gym it seems expensive at first but think about 5 years of a gym membership at $300 a year and it does not seem so bad.
I agree 100%. not to mention it seemed like every time i went to the gym i end up getting sick from someone not wiping down the equipment. I love my little dungy basement gym with my own music and nobody to bother me.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
RuSerious is pimp-a-licious
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneser3eb View Post
I agree 100%. not to mention it seemed like every time i went to the gym i end up getting sick from someone not wiping down the equipment. I love my little dungy basement gym with my own music and nobody to bother me.
x2 on this. Also, it forces you to get creative to add different lifts. No T-bar row setup. Get a bar, plates and figure the rest out. Feels good when you can make what you have work.