Advice on switching up training routine - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 AM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by inducer View Post
Thanks guys! Ecko31s...I've calculated my CHO intake to be around 455 g/day (along with 230 g protein and 70 g fat which is a ratio of 34/41/25 for Pro/CHO/fat for a total of 3330 kcal/day). I'm mostly sticking to oatmeal, whole wheat bread, fruit, some veggies, dairy and dextrose post workout for my CHO sources. Is that about what you were taking in when clean bulking?

I think you hit the nail on the head with this point and this is probably the reason that my weight gain has slowed down considerably lately. A couple months ago I started noticing my waist getting bigger and not being able to fit into pants that used to fit comfortably. Basically, I felt fatter and really didn't like that feeling even though I've read about a million times that you inevitably put on fat when you put on muscle. Since I noticed this, I've incorporated more cardio into my routine (now I'm doing about 2 hours of moderate intensity cardio/week on my clean bulk) as well as cutting back on cheat meals and weight gain has definitely been quite slow and some weeks I don't gain any weight at all. But I do feel better and leaner and I think the cardio has helped with my conditioning. I figured the reason my gains slowed down was mostly because my body had adapted to my training (8-12 reps) but clearly cardio also has a significant impact on the energy balance aspect of things. Would you suggest I back down on cardio? I wouldn't say that I'm trying to get ripped but I'm trying to minimize fat gain.

I have been working on controlling weights on the negative portion of the exercise for the last few months and have definitely noticed a difference.

Thanks again!
My carb intake is probably about 100g less. I usually use my abs or waistline as a guideline to see if I’m putting on weight too fast. Like I mentioned before you may have to tweak the carb intake a little so that your still gaining muscle mass with little fat, but if you lower carbs too much you won’t gain much muscle.

Your gains will slow down and come to a halt if your body adapts to your training. That’s why it’s good to change your workouts often to keep your body from adapting. It’s like when your body adapts to something it gets comfortable where it is at and has no reason to change or try to improve. As far as cardio goes, I would suggest cutting back on the overall time and making it more intense. I would suggest H.I.T. cardio(High Intensity Training). Also I would recommend doing just 5 minutes of light cardio before each weight lifting workout to warm-up your body. With H.I.T. cardio the sessions are intense, brief and effective. Basically, you would alternate a fast pace with a slow pace for 15-20 mins. For example, Set a treadmill for a high incline and start off by jogging at a slow pace for 60 seconds, then sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds, jog for 60 seconds again before sprinting for another 20 seconds. You would continue this pattern for 15-20 minutes. Once you endurance has built up after a few weeks you would eventually work your way up to something like sprinting for 60 seconds followed by jogging for 20 seconds. You don’t have to start with alternating jogging with sprinting if it is too intense. You could start with walking alternated with jogging for example. Also it’s good to switch up the equipment or exercise you use each cardio session. For instance, you could exercise on a treadmill with a high incline, a stationary bicycle, elliptical trainer, etc. These are all things that I have done that were proven very effective for my body.