Advice on switching up training routine - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
inducer is in need of a refresher from ABCbodybuilding!
Bantamweight

Default Advice on switching up training routine

Hey guys,

I've been on an extremely clean bulk for about the past 5 months (I did a few weeks of strength training before then). So I've been on my clean bulk since about the beginning of June but I have to admit that from June until about mid September because of an extremely busy schedule (work/internship) I wasn't getting the most out of lifting (I would miss meals and usually only have a chance to work out 2-3 days/week). The problem with my internship was that my hours and location of work changed every 2-3 weeks due to my placements and there was a lot of stress with keeping up with everything and unfortunately I couldn't make lifting/nutrition as much of a priority.

I finally have a more consistent schedule as I'm done with the toughest part of my internship and my hours/work location won't change so frequently. So, now that I finally have some free time, I need to re-evaluate my training so I can optimize my gains. I've gained about 6 pounds over the past 5 months (I now weigh 167 pounds and I'm 5'11). Since October, I've had a lot more flexibility/consistency with my schedule and I've been going to the gym about 6 days/week (lifting 4-5 days and cardio 1-2 days/week) so even though I haven't gained much weight over the last 5 months, I've tried to minimize fat gain and I feel almost as lean now as I did 5 months ago (I haven't checked using calipers yet but I plan to soon). I was at 9% body fat when I started the clean bulk 5 months ago and I don't think I'm much higher than that now.

My biggest goal from lifting is still hypertrophy and I have been switching up my exercises, throwing in supersets/drop sets etc here and there but mostly still sticking to the basics (focusing on compound exercises and mostly free weights). I have been keeping a record of how much I lift/# of reps for the past few months and I'm still seeing gains there and usually I still feel sore in the muscle group(s) I worked. In terms of nutrition, lately I've been eating as clean as possible....eating 6 meals/day, sticking to complex CHO except post workouts, taking in 1.5 g/lb of quality protein/day.

Anyways, sorry for the long description but I'm wondering if you guys would recommend that I go a cut (and if so for how long) or should I continue to switch up exercises and throw in shock methods here and there like I have been doing recently? Like I said, I've been on a clean bulk and doing regular cardio now so I haven't gained much body fat and I would still like to put on some more size. I am tweaking with my diet a bit here and there (adding kcal etc) and am still seeing some weight gain.

I've been doing a lot of reading on ABC bodybuilding and have learned a ton over the last few months. Its great to see members sharing their knowledge and genuinely wanting to help others achieve their goals!

Last edited by inducer; 11-05-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Bantamweight

I should also add that I got back into lifting about a year ago and I weighed ~140 lbs at the time. Aside from the 6 weeks of strength training I threw in around May of this year, I've been on a clean bulk (hypertrophy) since I started lifting again a year ago.

Cheers!

Last edited by inducer; 11-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

I can't see where you are from but if you have winter coming then you may as well keep up the clean bulk till the jumpers come off. It is easier to build muscle with a few extra cals so leave the cut till you need to. Thats just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I think you answered your own question. Shortly after asking you mentioned you'd like to put on some more size. At 5'11" and 167, you are definitely not fat and could continue to bulk cleanly for a good while.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Bantamweight

Thanks for your input guys. My only concern with continuing with the clean bulk is that my body may have more or less adapted to the training (8 - 12 reps/set etc) since I've been bulking for so long and thats why I was considering a cut (or even strength training for a few weeks) just to shock my body. Do you guys think thats a fair assessment based on the amount of time I've been on the bulk or is it enough for me to stay on a bulk and keep switching up the exercises and do supersets/drop sets etc??

Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
bigironcross is working to get less huge and better proportioned!
Middleweight

I think that 4-6 sets of 5-6 reps of some compound muscle group exercises (squat, deadlift, bench press, bent-over rows, etc.) for 4-6 weeks might do you some good.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcross View Post
I think that 4-6 sets of 5-6 reps of some compound muscle group exercises (squat, deadlift, bench press, bent-over rows, etc.) for 4-6 weeks might do you some good.
Agreed. Can't go wrong with that.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
greatkeen is getting BIGGER
Rookie

if still looking for more size gain, try following on Mon/Wed/Fri pattern:

Day 1:
INCLINE BENCH (30 reps x 4 sets)
CG BENCH PRESS (30 reps x 4 sets)
MILLITERY PRESS (30 reps x 4 sets)
SQUATS (20 reps x 2 sets)

Day 2:
CG PULL DOWN (30 reps x 4 sets)
CABLE ROW (30 reps x 4 sets)
PULLOVER BB* (30 reps x 4 sets)
PULL UPS (15 reps x 2 sets)

30 reps x 4 reps mean => FOR EXAMPLE: 1st set aim for 10-12 reps, rest 1-2mins, 2nd set 8-10reps, rest 1-2mins, 3rd set 6-8reps, 1-2min rest, 4th set 6-8reps.

NO SPECIFIC REP CADENCE HERE. Overall objective is to hit 30 reps in 4 sets, for a particular exercise. u do it u increase the weight on the bar, u fall short of 30 reps strive again with same weight next workout.

very simple format - simple objective - PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 AM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

Sounds like youíre on the right track with your protein intake. You said you were consuming complex carbs, but how many grams per day. If youíre really trying to gain some mass, youíre going to have to increase you daily carbohydrate intake. Iíve done a lot of trial and error periods over the years to see what works best for my body. For me, high protein with low carbs works well when Iím trying to cut down body fat. High protein with high carbohydrate intake works well when Iím trying to gain more muscle mass. You just have to tweak your carb intake so that youíre making good muscle mass gains, without putting on to much fat. Basically for me, the amounts of carbs I consume determine if I am going to put on mass or loose weight. Itís easier to focus on one at a time. It seems like when your trying to get bigger and ripped at the same time the gains seems be very slow. As far as performing exercises Iím sure you already know that compound exercises are best for putting on mass. To make those compound exercises put on the most size from my experience, longer tension times with short rest periods seem to work best. For strength fast reps with longer rest periods work well. For longer tension times just make each rep and set last longer. For example, when doing bench press if you wanted a set to last for 60 secs you could lower the weight for 4 seconds, press it up in one second, and squeeze hard at the top for one second until ten reps are completed. I even do ten second negatives sometimes, but you have to lighten the weight. You will be super sore if youíve never done slow reps before. Think of it as slowly stretching a muscle while it is contracted. Most people I see in the gym throw the weight up and let it drop back down on their chest before throwing it up again, which in my mind is only performing half a rep because they are working muscles when doing the positive phase. They completely loose the benefit of the negative portion of the exercise when they let the weight just drop. Even with doing normal paced reps, like one second up and one second down, I control the weight down. Anyway, just something to think about if youíre trying to put on muscle mass. Iím not saying it will work for you, but youíre around the same height and size I used be before I tweaked my workouts and nutrition to gain muscle mass.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Bantamweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko31s View Post
Sounds like you’re on the right track with your protein intake. You said you were consuming complex carbs, but how many grams per day. If you’re really trying to gain some mass, you’re going to have to increase you daily carbohydrate intake. I’ve done a lot of trial and error periods over the years to see what works best for my body. For me, high protein with low carbs works well when I’m trying to cut down body fat. High protein with high carbohydrate intake works well when I’m trying to gain more muscle mass. You just have to tweak your carb intake so that you’re making good muscle mass gains, without putting on to much fat. Basically for me, the amounts of carbs I consume determine if I am going to put on mass or loose weight. It’s easier to focus on one at a time.
Thanks guys! Ecko31s...I've calculated my CHO intake to be around 455 g/day (along with 230 g protein and 70 g fat which is a ratio of 34/41/25 for Pro/CHO/fat for a total of 3330 kcal/day). I'm mostly sticking to oatmeal, whole wheat bread, fruit, some veggies, dairy and dextrose post workout for my CHO sources. Is that about what you were taking in when clean bulking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko31s View Post
It seems like when your trying to get bigger and ripped at the same time the gains seems be very slow.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this point and this is probably the reason that my weight gain has slowed down considerably lately. A couple months ago I started noticing my waist getting bigger and not being able to fit into pants that used to fit comfortably. Basically, I felt fatter and really didn't like that feeling even though I've read about a million times that you inevitably put on fat when you put on muscle. Since I noticed this, I've incorporated more cardio into my routine (now I'm doing about 2 hours of moderate intensity cardio/week on my clean bulk) as well as cutting back on cheat meals and weight gain has definitely been quite slow and some weeks I don't gain any weight at all. But I do feel better and leaner and I think the cardio has helped with my conditioning. I figured the reason my gains slowed down was mostly because my body had adapted to my training (8-12 reps) but clearly cardio also has a significant impact on the energy balance aspect of things. Would you suggest I back down on cardio? I wouldn't say that I'm trying to get ripped but I'm trying to minimize fat gain.

I have been working on controlling weights on the negative portion of the exercise for the last few months and have definitely noticed a difference.

Thanks again!

Last edited by inducer; 11-14-2011 at 07:06 AM.