Presidential Politics - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > Members' Discussion:

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight

Default Presidential Politics

I’m not sure if anyone else is paying attention to this since I certainly think it is disgusting that all this campaigning starts a year and a half out from the election, but I have watched the last 3 Republican debates. I don’t see any way that President Obama is going to get re-elected with unemployment over 9%, budget deficits over $1.5 trillion each year, businesses fleeing the country to avoid Obamacare and the general divisions in society right now. Since it doesn’t look like the Democrats are going to have anyone who will present a primary challenge I’m thinking that one of the current Republican candidates, for better or worse, will be our next president.

My question is, what do others think of them as Presidential nominees? After watching the debates I come away dumbfounded at the so-called “Top Tier” candidates. Watching Perry and Romney, they just go for the quick sound bite, and even though they get the most time to talk at the debates, I come away thinking that they never end up really “saying” anything. From what I have seen, the only candidates that offer substance are Herman Cain, Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich. Yet with the exception of the Iowa & Florida straw polls (can these really be trusted anyway) these men seem to have no chance of being nominated. This is disturbing because politics today is so far removed from substance. It appears more and more to be about image. However all we need to do is look at the last election to see what voting for image over actual experience/substance gets you.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I'm a Ron Paul guy myself.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Same here I'm a Ron Paul guy, he predicted the housing market crash years before it happened. My big thing is looking at the candidates stance and whether or not it goes against scripture, he so far has been true to his faith.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 AM
bigironcross is working to get less huge and better proportioned!
Middleweight

Ron Paul seems honest. He doesn't waffle on his beliefs. However, I do not agree with his politics. He makes some good points. But, to me, is a little extreme on his anti-government stance. I'm not against government or paying my fair share of taxes. I like having good roads and good schools. I believe that Social Security and Medicare are good programs. Social Security did exactly what it was intended to do. Help older Americans, disabled Americans and orphans to not live in poverty.

Both Perry and Romney seem to be phonies and will do anything to get elected. Perry switched parties and Romney waffling on his health care stance.

I have no respect for Newt Gingrich because of his family values. He's a pig.

I don't know much about Herman Cain.

But, since I'm a Democrat, I'll be voting for Obama. So, I guess it doesn't matter which Republican wins the primary to me. I think that Obama did okay against the Party of No. I believe that he could have done much better. He should have been more aggressive especially the first two years when the Democrats also controlled congress. He shouldn't have tried to compromise. He should have just pushed through everything that Democrats believe in. That is what Bush II did when he had control of both houses.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

As soon as the democrats get off the Bush did this, that, etc. rhetoric, things might actually start to happen. It has been almost 3 years now, when will obama claim this to be HIS presidency? I am disgusted with Politics and have removed myself from paying attention right now. These are not debates...just a Q and A. it seems that all the Republican nominees or potential nominees just talk the same rhetoric but in a different tone, with the exception of one or two. Why didnt things get rammed through when he had congress? Because people didnt want the policies, that is why the dems lost so many seats in the last election. Everyone is not supposed to win or get a trophy, let the people who took a subprime mortgage default on the loan, lets clear out this mess, and things will turn around. A stimulus just delays the inevitable. Our economy is self correcting, and all ths "help" just hurts.

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I'm a Ron Paul guy myself.
I like Paul more than any of the others. I love what he has to say on the Constitution and debt/Fed/economy. His foreign policy ideas do scare me though, especially when it comes to Iran.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcross View Post
I like having good roads and good schools.
When you find the “good schools” run by the federal government let me know. Until then we will homeschool. Federal government has no place running schools. That is a state/local responsibility. Ever since the federal government has gotten involved the school systems have gone consistently downhill.
Quote:
I have no respect for Newt Gingrich because of his family values. He's a pig.
So I guess you are not a big Clinton guy either right? It does raise an interesting question though. How much does marital fidelity or “family values” matter for a presidential candidate? Do you care what he does in his private life or do you just want him to do a good job running the country?
Quote:
I don't know much about Herman Cain.
I don’t know too much about him either however his business experience looks good and I like that he actually comes up with new and different solutions to current problems such as the Tax Code and Social Security rather than just saying that these things are broken.

Quote:
He should have been more aggressive especially the first two years when the Democrats also controlled congress. He shouldn't have tried to compromise. He should have just pushed through everything that Democrats believe in.
I’m pretty sure that is what Obama did his first 2 years. Ever hear of Obamacare, Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal, Illegal Amnesty/Dream Act?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
Everyone is not supposed to win or get a trophy, let the people who took a subprime mortgage default on the loan, lets clear out this mess, and things will turn around. A stimulus just delays the inevitable. Our economy is self correcting, and all ths "help" just hurts.
You sound like a Ron Paul guy too.
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard24 View Post
I like Paul more than any of the others. I love what he has to say on the Constitution and debt/Fed/economy. His foreign policy ideas do scare me though, especially when it comes to Iran.
Yeah, when he starts to talk about "blowback" I get frustrated. He doesn't grasp that Islam has been at war with the West since it's inception. Sure, it's possible for the West to aggravate extremists, but even if we don't aggravate them and we adopt some pacifist stance, they STILL hate us and will continually attempt to take over the West. If not with outright terror, than with demographics (look at their birthrates) right here in America even, let alone places like France and Spain.

OK, I will end my rant.

But even though I think he is wrong on blowback, I do trust he will protect America. He is good on defense.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I know this isn't presidential, but I still wanted to post it:

Who Needs Elections?

"I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that," Perdue said. "You want people who don't worry about the next election."

North Carolina Governor Perdue (Democrat)

Well, that is one way to get things done, lol. Who cares what Article I of the Constitution says about elections?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Lightweight

Yeah I saw that the other day. As a North Carolinian, I was soooo proud of my elected official. I think all the Botox has gone to her brain. The ridiculous thing was that the spin machine went into full effect afterwards with her office claiming that she was “just joking”. Come on. Read the words, watch the video. She was NOT joking. The best part of her quote was “just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make”. A job where no matter how badly you do, how disastrous your decisions are, or how badly you hurt your employer, it will not be held against you. I have 1 question . . . Where do I sign up?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
arian11 is 500 deadlift achieved, time for a 500 squat!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Yeah, when he starts to talk about "blowback" I get frustrated. He doesn't grasp that Islam has been at war with the West since it's inception. Sure, it's possible for the West to aggravate extremists, but even if we don't aggravate them and we adopt some pacifist stance, they STILL hate us and will continually attempt to take over the West. If not with outright terror, than with demographics (look at their birthrates) right here in America even, let alone places like France and Spain.

OK, I will end my rant.

But even though I think he is wrong on blowback, I do trust he will protect America. He is good on defense.
Watch out Commander, I'm coming for you! lol

Not big into politics but Ron Paul seems the most honest guy up there in the debates. I think it is hard to agree with a candidate 100% so you have to see who has the best overall ideas and you agree with on the majority of things. And Ron Paul is seeming to be that person for me.

"Technique is always the first place to begin when striving to improve at a specific skill."
My YouTube Page