310x3
355x3
375x3x3
395x3

Pullups:
BW+25x5, 2 sets

Seated Row:
150x10, 3 sets

-psyched myself out before this one..got to the gym, got work done..i remain confident I can defeat SMOLOV
-seem to be getting stronger, and my new belt is def. giving me more support...overall a great workout.

finally got camera, more vids to come!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
395x3
Wow, Smolov is working for you, keep it up!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Wow, Smolov is working for you, keep it up!
Thanks commander, it seems to be working for now. Before I started the base cycle, 385x1 felt weak, my knees would wobble, etc. now, 395x3 feels a little stronger. My knees still kinda wobbled a bit..but not much at all, once I was aware of it and told myself to stay strong, steady, etc. I psyched myself out before this last workout because I thought I would fail, once I got to the gym and started lifting, that thought disappeared. I remember reading Andro's journal during smolov and he said he felt more confident than ever in his squat, and I can now see why..previously, my squat was one of my 'weaker' lifts that I had no confidence doing..that does not seem to be the case anymore.

also, i dont know how much effect my new belt actually has, vs maybe a placebo effect because I know its on..but i feel more sturdy and safe wearing it versus the paper thin leather belts my gym has.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Heavyweight

I have a question for everyone who reads my journal...I have to attend an Army school from mid oct-mid nov. I will be done w/ SMOLOV at that time..and I am at a loss of what my training should look like. I know there will be a gym, all army bases have a gym..just dont know how much time I will have to use it, as when in school, the days are usually full.

What is the consensus on crossfit, or the football variation (crossfitfootball.com). I ask, because the workouts are usually shorter and need minimal equipment...the football version would also help me keep some strenght up...any thoughts to my wonderful ABC community?

Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of crossfit, no planned progression, potentially dangerous exercises (such as high reps on technically difficult olympic lifts).

If I were you, I would use that time to get down to basics. Maybe pick one lift per day and hit it hard, rotating upper/lower or push/pull/leg etc. You can rotate rep ranges and plan progression fairly simply with just that one lift. Add in a little cardio and there you go. But that's just my 2 cents.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 AM
Heavyweight

Thqnks for the response cdr...I don't typically like crossfit either, but. It looks like the crossfit football follows a lifting routine..then does some circuts for overall health. I was confused! Haha

Smolov intense: week #2, day #3

270x3
310x3
355x4
375x4x4 (was supposed to do 5 reps, I am working on form...so once my knees started shaking, I terminated set)

Military:
155x6
165x4
173x3

Decline bench:
225x5, 3 sets

Smolov won today...take your small victory while u can! I woke up today tired, so I pushed my workout from the morning to after work...but I just could not wake up today. Regardless...I am making an effort at impeccable form, so I payed close attention during my sets and stopped once I got shaky. I left the gym ROCKED today...definately feeling the squats

Next day is sunday. No cardio, lots of food until then...I will get back on track!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

No problem, sorry if this football version has a routine it follows, I tried the link, but I got a virus warning (at work) so I had to close it before I could check it out. So I based my critique on what I know about regular crossfit and I'm pretty sure regular crossfit is haphazard, no routine at all.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
No problem, sorry if this football version has a routine it follows, I tried the link, but I got a virus warning (at work) so I had to close it before I could check it out. So I based my critique on what I know about regular crossfit and I'm pretty sure regular crossfit is haphazard, no routine at all.
yeah, got ya man...my bro just told me about it at work too..didnt really check it out..not sure if the lifting part follows a routine or not..they have you do a strenght workout of the day, then a normal workout of the day...ill have to look back a week and see what kind of program it is...

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

I'm in agreement with Commander.

My thoughts on Crossfit: First of all, it is like a cult and I can't stand it. They think they are the first ones to ever do metabolic workouts and circuits. I did metabolic workouts in college all the time...it was called soccer practice. I credit them for good marketing, but with 99.9% of the population having no idea about exercise, lifting, running, or whatever there goals are it isn't that hard to sell something. I mean look at Chuck Norris he runs an infomercial with Christie Brinkley and he has sold a lifetime's worth of total gyms (by the way does Christie Brinkley come with that if I order it?).

Now, some of what they do is great for someone who just wants to get in shape and burn calories, but if you have a specific goal of strength, endurance, or whatever it may be it is awful. There is no periodization involved so it's not even that efficient of a way to prepare for so called "CrossFit" games. Burning calories for the general population, then it's great. But for you, you're a monster, so this would kill your strength and waste your time.

Okay, sorry, I'm done now.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter