Commanding My Body - Page 80 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear6708 View Post
commander, quick question, do u ever do any cardio? you stay lean...but at the same time i never see cardio in your log! how do you manage to stay lean...I am a recovering run a holic..hahah recently have decided to tone my running back, i feel guilty in my head! lol

-Question: are you only listing your working sets...or is that everything..what about warmups? i know you are using the dynmaic warmup, but what about some lighter sets on the lifts you are doing?
Well, I'm not as lean as I'd like. I carry fat in my pecs, lower back and abs, and of course, there's a little extra in the glutes. I never to cardio, occasionally, I'll throw in some jump rope between sets if I have to rest a long time between sets. But, I've probably done less than 30 minutes of jump rope since finishing my cut in mid-Summer of 2009. So, the answer is, I only really do cardio during a cut.

How do I stay lean? Well, as I mentioned, I'm not as lean as I'd like, but I stay relatively lean by attempting to gain weight slowly and eat clean 98% of the time. For example, when I first started my bulk, I was losing weight due to my metabolism adjusting. I didn't sweat it, I remained patient.

Yes, I'm only listing working sets. I fluctuate back and forth in my log between listing everything and only listing working sets. Right now, it's just working sets. My lighter sets are not for reps, just 1, 2 or 3 reps max to get my body used to the weight as I gradually increase to my working range.

------------

Heavy Military

Seated OH Press
130x6
140x4
150x4

Dec Bench
100, 150, 170, 190, 200x5

Dips
BW+40x8
BW+60x6
BW+80x6
BWx17

Short and sweet. Tomorrow is deadlifts for some dead presidents.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Deadlift - no belt
396x4
401x4
421x2
436x1

I was defeated by the 2nd rep on 436 (again), but I'm not sweating it, the previous sets were all very solid and it was all done without a belt.

Good Morning
110x10
130x10

Pull-up
BW+20x5
+30x5
+40x5

Chin-up
BW+40x5

Barbell Row
110x10
120x10
130x10

Ab Wheel Rollouts
BWx10
BWx20

-------

Diet update:

Bodyweight average: 196.6

I'm down 2 lbs, which is obviously not good, since my goal is to gain muscle and strength. I have not been consuming enough, plus I've been burning more calories than normal due to spending literally hours shoveling snow.

I bumping up my caloric intake by about 250, putting me at close to 4300 on non-workout days. Workout days obviously include paraworkout nutrition, getting my total higher.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 02-16-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Been a while since i checked in, workouts looking great as always. Nice work on the deads man!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellingham View Post
Been a while since i checked in, workouts looking great as always. Nice work on the deads man!
Thanks!

-------

Had a "What the..." moment this morning. I stepped on the scale and it registered 194.5!

I expect weight fluctuations and especially when my metabolism is revving after my recent increase in calories, but this was a bit much. I dunno, maybe it's my soaked oats, lol. I'm finally digesting properly and pooping out the pounds.

Furthermore, my right delt is super sore, I favor it when shoveling. I am trying to get done as fast and efficiently as possible so I don't think about trying to equal the load for both sides, I just go with what works....and that leaves my right shoulder handling most of the load. And it just keep snowing!

I am hoping it won't impact my Bench Hypertrophy tonight, good thing about hypertrophy night, no percentage of 1RM to hit, just have to get some reps in.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

Nice, let me know how that new "shoveling" routine does for you Seriously though, some nice deadlifting!
Squat: PR 375
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkeehn View Post
Nice, let me know how that new "shoveling" routine does for you Seriously though, some nice deadlifting!
Thanks, I should really try to shovel more with the left arm.

--------

First workout of my second (of three) block, Workout Machine's program.

Hypertrophy Bench

Flat Bench
215x11
120x2 (not part of program)
200x10
120x2 (not part of program)
200x10

As I was warming up, my right shoulder was sore from about 140 lbs onward, but it didn't affect me much. My PR for reps is 225x11, so I would have liked another rep or 2 on 215, but I'll take it considering how sore I was.

I added a slight tweak to WM's program, I don't know what to do with myself during the 5 minute rest between bench sets, ha, ha, so I added light sets. I've tried this before and I really like the results. I basically try to throw the light set through the roof, it kept me primed for my heavy set as opposed to just resting for the full 5 minutes. I do it half way through the rest period.

Inc Bench
160x12
145x10
145x10

Much better performance on incline compared to the last hypertrophy bench workout.

Dips
BW+30x12
BW+20x10
BW+20x8

Great workout, humongous pump. Hypertrophy Squat tonight....time to get nauseous!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

So, my neighbor's garage collapsed yesterday. It was old and didn't appear to be used at all (I never saw anyone go in or out of it).

Here is the aftermath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1ZZlKXTzg

Ask me if I shoveled off my roof after seeing this?

.......You bet I did.

I got my leg and back workout up on my roof shoveling snow. It took awhile, we are talking 12 days worth of snow and ice, not to mention the fact that I had to be extra careful since I am on a sloped roof. But it's done and I feel much better and safer now (there wasn't really a danger, my roof is new and the wood supporting it was solid, but if anything would have happened to my roof after witnessing what happened to my neighbor's garage, I don't think I could have forgiven myself for being apathetic!)

Tonight, I should be able to get in my Squat Hypertrophy workout.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Has your weight gone back up at all? Do you attribute the decline in weight solely to the shoevling or possibly to burning more calories during the new workouts? What is your assessment at this point of the program, although it may be to early to make an assessment, so that may not be a fair question.

Also, dude I didn't know you had done the russian routine before, I should have sent it to you earlier to get some advice. You got any advice or tips for me (I have to destroy the kid)?
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Has your weight gone back up at all? Do you attribute the decline in weight solely to the shoevling or possibly to burning more calories during the new workouts? What is your assessment at this point of the program, although it may be to early to make an assessment, so that may not be a fair question.

Also, dude I didn't know you had done the russian routine before, I should have sent it to you earlier to get some advice. You got any advice or tips for me (I have to destroy the kid)?
Weight is still low, not sure because I am eating more and eating consistently. I think it is a combination of factors, every time I increase calories my metabolism shifts into overdrive (naturally) and burns more, then when you add in the extra calories burned from shoveling constantly and yes, the workouts, I guess it all makes sense. I have been feeling much DOMS on this program which I definitely believe means more calories burned because my body is obviously being forced to repair the sore/damaged tissue.

It is early to make much of an assessment, but I will say that I think the adjustments you made to the percentages was a good choice as I have struggled hitting those percents on Strength days. I think the set up is brilliant, giving each muscle group 2 days completely off before being hit again in some manner and the alternating hyper, strength and DE days. And having 2 weeks before coming back to the repeat workout really gets you pumped to beat it. I have now done 3 workouts for the 2nd time, and I beat my previous performance each time.

What did you think of my tweak? Adding in the lower weight power set as a primer during the long rest periods.

Regarding the Russian routine, I may not be the person to ask for advice, I bombed out of it.

I based my percentage of my ACTUAL max though. So call me an idiot! Now I have since learned from reading about other programs (5/3/1, yours, etc) that it is usually a good idea to take a little off your max to calculate your working percentages. That would be my advice.

Gotta head to a birthday party, will post my Squat and Military workouts later.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I have been feeling much DOMS on this program which I definitely believe means more calories burned because my body is obviously being forced to repair the sore/damaged tissue.

It is early to make much of an assessment, but I will say that I think the adjustments you made to the percentages was a good choice as I have struggled hitting those percents on Strength days. I think the set up is brilliant, giving each muscle group 2 days completely off before being hit again in some manner and the alternating hyper, strength and DE days. And having 2 weeks before coming back to the repeat workout really gets you pumped to beat it. I have now done 3 workouts for the 2nd time, and I beat my previous performance each time.

What did you think of my tweak? Adding in the lower weight power set

I feel you on the DOMs my left calf is shot, i can barely walk on it. as for everything else i love the DOMS you get from hypertrophy chest and leg workouts. And i always find myself eating more the week i do hypertrophy as it makes my metabolism shoot through the roof. im on +1200 cals over maintainence on those weeks and im hardly gaining, strength weeks about 900-1000 cals over maintainence.

For each lift on strength days how much are you reducing your max lifts by to calculate everything? ive gone with about 5-10 lbs lower than my theoretical max each time and ive had no problems, infact ive underestimated myself on occation.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength