155, 170, 185, 200, 215, 225x3
170x9

Lunges
30, 50, 70, 90, 110x5
40x12

Plyo Pushups
BWx3, 8 sets

Stretching, Foam rolling

Numbers slowly going up. First front squat workout was 210 a few weeks ago, I've added 5 lbs each workout. Hoping to keep pushing it beltless, than maybe add a belt and see if that helps when I stall.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Still doing Workout Machine's dynamic warmup and loving it

Today I tried Christian Thibaudeau's DESCENDING-ASCENDING CONTRAST RATCHETS

To quote him:
This method utilize what is called 'dynamic pre-activation'. In other words you are first performing an explosive set to prime the nervous system, then you move on to a heavy set.

This has a double activation effect as both explosive and heavy work do potentiate the nervous system. The cool thing is that dynamic work, when properly done (correct load, maximum effort) activates the CNS just as much as near-maximal work, but without causing much (if any) muscular, metabolic or neural fatigue. Thus you get a greater performance boost.

The kicker with DAC training is that over the sets, the load used for the explosive work DECREASES while the load used for the heavy work INCREASES. Decreasing the load used during the explosive work reduces fatigue even more, leaving more in the tank for the heavy work, while still furthering neural activation.

It worked great, I felt like a monster, I should have recorded the bench.

Flat Bench
160x3
210x3
150x3
220x3
140x3
230x3
130x3
240x3
120x3
250x3
120x3
260x3
210x10

260 for 3 solid reps, no grinding what-so-ever, is my best benching in awhile. I was handling this kind of weight last spring when I was doing a Russian Volume routine, but my form wasn't as tight and I was not as explosive as I am now. Definite improvements, now it's time to set some PRs. I'm close.

Bent Rows
125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185x5
150x12

These are done back parallel to the floor with no hip movement. The exception is the last rep of my 185 set, I used my hips some so I didn't bump up to 190.

Dips
BW+10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70x5
80x5 5lb PR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQdauHfEQo

The video is a comparison (80 first, then the 75 set) of my BW+75x5 dips from about a month ago. I feel like it is an improvement, I am able to move the weight faster. I am totally focused on owning the weight on every movement.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 01-15-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

I love how deep you get, you're getting a serious stretch there.
-Colossians 3:23

24-17 ABC Fight Corner
Workout Journal
http://www.twitter.com/CoryFever
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
WorkoutMchne is Getting Stronger Everyday
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Still doing Workout Machine's dynamic warmup and loving it

Today I tried Christian Thibaudeau's DESCENDING-ASCENDING CONTRAST RATCHETS

To quote him:
This method utilize what is called 'dynamic pre-activation'. In other words you are first performing an explosive set to prime the nervous system, then you move on to a heavy set.

This has a double activation effect as both explosive and heavy work do potentiate the nervous system. The cool thing is that dynamic work, when properly done (correct load, maximum effort) activates the CNS just as much as near-maximal work, but without causing much (if any) muscular, metabolic or neural fatigue. Thus you get a greater performance boost.

The kicker with DAC training is that over the sets, the load used for the explosive work DECREASES while the load used for the heavy work INCREASES. Decreasing the load used during the explosive work reduces fatigue even more, leaving more in the tank for the heavy work, while still furthering neural activation.
Glad the warm-up is working for you.

Also, there are a couple interesting thing about this 'dynamic pre-activation' method. First, I like it. Secondly, there was a study done by Carlos Ugrinowitsch out of Sao Paulo University in Brazil (he was a visiting scholar at Florida St. with us) who looked at individuals who squatted 3 days a week. One group squatted for power (40-60%) and the other group for strength (85%-95%) 3 days a week. There was no difference in strength gains between groups, in other words the groups that squatted for power saw just as many strength gains as the strength group. Now, I don't believe you can only squat explosively for other reasons and minor flaws in the study, but it is interesting.

Third, your idea also works in reverse and it is something called Postactivation Potentiation (PAP). Essentially saying that performing a heavy muscle contraction before an explosive even will increase power. So on your DE squat day, if you did one set of a 5RM then did your DE work, you would be more explosive on your DE work. This kind of thing is most commonly studied with a squat followed by a vertical jump or a sprint for the performance test.

Anyway, Commander sorry for the rambling on your journal, your post just got me thinking because I very much like the 'dynamic pre-activation' that you spoke of. And yes, your dips with the 80 seemed faster as well.
Florida Atlantic University
USAPL Raw Lifter
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
I love how deep you get, you're getting a serious stretch there.
Thanks! I feel it the next day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkoutMchne View Post
Glad the warm-up is working for you.

Also, there are a couple interesting thing about this 'dynamic pre-activation' method. First, I like it. Secondly, there was a study done by Carlos Ugrinowitsch out of Sao Paulo University in Brazil (he was a visiting scholar at Florida St. with us) who looked at individuals who squatted 3 days a week. One group squatted for power (40-60%) and the other group for strength (85%-95%) 3 days a week. There was no difference in strength gains between groups, in other words the groups that squatted for power saw just as many strength gains as the strength group. Now, I don't believe you can only squat explosively for other reasons and minor flaws in the study, but it is interesting.

Third, your idea also works in reverse and it is something called Postactivation Potentiation (PAP). Essentially saying that performing a heavy muscle contraction before an explosive even will increase power. So on your DE squat day, if you did one set of a 5RM then did your DE work, you would be more explosive on your DE work. This kind of thing is most commonly studied with a squat followed by a vertical jump or a sprint for the performance test.

Anyway, Commander sorry for the rambling on your journal, your post just got me thinking because I very much like the 'dynamic pre-activation' that you spoke of. And yes, your dips with the 80 seemed faster as well.
You don't have to apologize, you can ramble any time. I enjoy learning from you.

I really liked the technique as well, and I like your point about it working in reverse.

--------

Snatchgrip Deficit Deadlift
266x3
356x3
246x3
371x3
226x3
386x3
206x3
406x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMZBNd58us

Used the DAC technique, I like it, but I didn't enjoy getting down to change the plates for deadlift, definitely a better technique to use with bench or shoulder press just in terms of ease of switching plates.

Conventional DL
326x8

Weighted Situps
25, 35, 50, 50x8

Back Extensions
10, 25, 25, 25x8

Stretching and foam rolling

Last edited by Commander; 01-17-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

You are a monster on those deads man. But the video didnt work for me

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Dude,

thats a sick deficit deadlift. And I just saw your 390 squat. You are too the freaking floor! SICK man! And your gym is insanely hardcore looking

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html

Last edited by President Wilson; 01-17-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
You are a monster on those deads man. But the video didnt work for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
Dude,

thats a sick deficit deadlift. And I just saw your 390 squat. You are too the freaking floor! SICK man! And your gym is insanely hardcore looking
Thanks Prez, the deadlift is by far my best lift. With my leverages, it just comes natural to me, the squat on the otherhand, is my nemesis. I've had to bust my butt for every single pound on the squat. I appreciate the comment on the squat, I try my best to get deep. I am actually working on getting deeper by starting over with front squats and olympic high bar squats.

And the gym, what can I say, I love my gym, it's taken my years to acquire all that stuff, but it was worth it.
-----

Strict OH Press
120x3
150x3
110x3
160x3
100x3
170x3
125x10

170x3 was slow, I am near maxed out for this exercise. I have been pushing hard. This workout was only 4 days after my last OH Press workout. However, I am going on a mini-vacation to Boston and will not be working out from Thursday the 21st until Wednesday the 27th. So, basically I get a deload and hopefully some supercompensation will occur. I will go for 175 next workout and if the reps are slow again, then I will swap out exercises.

Lying Med ball throws to wake up lats

Chin-up
BW+10, 20, 30, 40x5
BW+5x9

Skull Crusher
65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90x5
65x13

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Squat Day - done only 4 days after last squat day

Front Squat - using descending/ascending sets
150x3
200x3
140x3
210x3
130x3
220x3 added belt
120x3 (didn't use belt on light sets)
230x3
120x3
240x3
120x3
250x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzhV1oF9uk
180x8

I struggled on the front squats a little. My reps were a little slow, but at least they were deep. I wouldn't normally push it until my reps were this slow, but I wanted to trash my legs since I will be on vacation soon.

Lunge
35, 55, 75, 95, 115x5
45x15

Ab Wheel Rollouts
BWx10, 10, 14

Stretching, Foam rolling

Last edited by Commander; 01-17-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Bend Day - 4 days since last bench day

Flat Bench
175x3
230x3
160x3
245x3
145x3
260x3
130x3
270x3, 3 rep PR
120x3
280x2
120x2
290x2, 2 rep PR, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-A1B9M0ec
225x11

290x2 was tough, I comment in the video "That was stupid" because I pushed it pretty far without a spot (I've used my wife to spot on rare occasions!). I was hoping for 225 for 12, sort of an unspoken friendly competition with Workout Machine, but 11 was hard, didn't have any more in the tank.

Bentover Rows
120x5
160x5
110x5
170x5
100x5
180x5
90x5
190x5
150x14

Dips
BW+30, 45, 60, 75, 90x5, 5 rep PR
BW+25x14

I am maxed out on dips, I will have to switch exercises soon, I'll likely go to DB presses. I did not own the BW+90x5, it was slow.

Awesome workout! Humongous pump, felt really strong.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength