Commanding My Body - Page 61 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 AM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

can u explain to me what exacly a deficit dead is...lol, ive never heard of it..very impressive dead lift number! also, ive never tried glute ham raises...how hard are they?? only 4 and 3 reps, they must be brutal..can you compare them to another exercise...how much weight are you curling..just bw?? thanks and keep it up man!!! also, why did u stop squatting for so long...did you still see the same results w/ ur legs??
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

A deficit deadlift is standing on a plate or two to increase the ROM by lowering the bar's starting point.

Glute Ham raises are brutal, did you check the video? Yeah, it's just BW for me, although some beasts like Layne Norton actually hold weight and do it without pushing off at the bottom, hopefully someday I can do that.

They don't compare to any other exercise, they are very unique. But the action is a leg curl with isometric hip extension.

I stopped squatting because I needed a break from it, I ran Smolov twice this year (although I didn't finish the 2nd time) so I have squatted more times that most mortals this year even with a 6 week break. I hope to come back to the squat refreshed now.

My legs seem fine, definitely progressed in terms of the deadlift.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
A deficit deadlift is standing on a plate or two to increase the ROM by lowering the bar's starting point.

Glute Ham raises are brutal, did you check the video? Yeah, it's just BW for me, although some beasts like Layne Norton actually hold weight and do it without pushing off at the bottom, hopefully someday I can do that.

They don't compare to any other exercise, they are very unique. But the action is a leg curl with isometric hip extension.

I stopped squatting because I needed a break from it, I ran Smolov twice this year (although I didn't finish the 2nd time) so I have squatted more times that most mortals this year even with a 6 week break. I hope to come back to the squat refreshed now.

My legs seem fine, definitely progressed in terms of the deadlift.
cool man, i may have to throw glute ham raises into my DC workout when i go around next time...im always looking for hammie exercises..i was wondering about the squat because we preach it so much around here, was just wondering how you could afford to go w/out it!! haha..this 3x5 is killing me too..i never knew squatting so much could be so mentally as well as physically draining
Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is perfectly fine to take a break from the big lifts, as long as you have a good reason to, not just being lazy. I seriously squatted about 63 times in 21 weeks of Smolov, roughly 15 times in 6 weeks or so of Starting Strength. So in the past year, I squatted heavy almost 80 times in 27 weeks. That is what I mean by more heavy squatting than most mortals. So, although I took the last 6 weeks off from squatting, in the other (52-6-27=19) 19 weeks of the year I squatted an average of 1 heavy time per week. That gives me pretty close to 100 heavy squat sessions (DE squat not included) for the past year. I needed to get the bar off my back and get a break. I was hitting a wall.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Deficit DL's must be brutal, im tall and have a longer ROM that the average person, but to intentionally do that is sick. Do you find it places more emphasis on the lower back due to being more horizontal?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Deficit DL's must be brutal, im tall and have a longer ROM that the average person, but to intentionally do that is sick. Do you find it places more emphasis on the lower back due to being more horizontal?
Slightly, you have to be careful to stay tight through the core so it doesn't stress the lower back too much. It also gets the quads slightly more involved, at least for me.

---------

Push Day

Smith Bench Throws
warmup barx40, full ROM
50, 70x1
90, 100, 110, 130x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGih1c-cOIs
140x3

I actually project the bar into the air, I'm working on explosiveness.

Inc. Bench
160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 210x5
185x8

Bent Row
110, 130, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190x5
160x9

ss w/

Elbows Out DB Ext
34.5, 37, 39.5, 42, 44.5, 47x6

I had a massive upper body pump from this workout, it felt great. Bent Rows felt good, I have more strength in Pendlay rows compared to Bent rows, so I am trying to bring up my weak area.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Leg Day

Barbell Thrusters (these are weighted glute bridges)
110, 130, 150, 170, 190, 200x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVXqwoBE6o
210x5

Jump Squat
70, 90, 120, 140, 160, 180, 200, 220, 240x1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQkd0g9CLo8
260, 280, 300x1

After 240, it wasn't really a jump squat because I couldn't actually leave the ground, but it was explosive.

Concentric Good Morning (bottom position 9 pin)
70, 90, 120, 140, 160x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcFZR8nWDg
180x5

Weighted Sit ups
10lb x 25 reps, 3 sets

I held 5lb'ers in my hands and moved them during the set as it got tough (started behind the head, then moved to ears, chest, stomach)

Glutes, hammies and lower back got toasted, felt great.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Push Day

Bottom half partials Flat Bench
worked up to 210x5

Seated Military (first rep off pins)
worked up to 145x5
120x9

Kroc Row
92lb dumbell x26

Barbell Curl
60, 70, 80, 90, 100 x5
75x10

ss w/

JM Press
70,80,90, 100, 110x5
85x9

Huge upper body pump, great workout, hit some prs.

Note of Frustration:
I had lots of cardio yesterday leading worship at church, but I also did tons of jumping and I seemed to have hurt my knee. My left knee periodically gives out on me when walking around. I have a leg day tonight (rack squat, deficit deads) so I hope it goes away by then.

Last edited by Commander; 11-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

i just started JM press recently...i really wished i would've found this movement a couple years ago...TRICEP BLASTER

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
i just started JM press recently...i really wished i would've found this movement a couple years ago...TRICEP BLASTER
Yeah, I enjoy them

-------

Side Note:
I love Kroc Rows, but I am not sure they love me, this is the second time I have had some back pain from them. Obviously, the move is riskier since there is cheating involved, I think maybe I will try to do a high rep T-Bar row since that keeps the back square as opposed to the twisting motion that occurs with DB rows.

I'm really hoping the pain doesn't interfere with squats and deads tonight.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength