Greg's bulking journal - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight

Im not at the minute, im sticking to the basic program then in a couple of months i'll be doing dips and pullups once the plateau's start arriving. im also doing BB rows instead of cleans as for some reason my gym wont buy bumper plates and all the existing ones are bad.
im just doing

Workout A
Abs (3 sets of roman chair situps)
Squats
bench press
Deadlifts

Workout B
Squats
Overhead press
BB rows
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Im not at the minute, im sticking to the basic program then in a couple of months i'll be doing dips and pullups once the plateau's start arriving. im also doing BB rows instead of cleans as for some reason my gym wont buy bumper plates and all the existing ones are bad.
im just doing

Workout A
Abs (3 sets of roman chair situps)
Squats
bench press
Deadlifts

Workout B
Squats
Overhead press
BB rows
depending on energy levels after workout i might throw the dips or chins in.
do you reckon the rows are as effective as the cleans? as i'm not to keen on the cleans
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Middleweight

they are nowhere near as effective as cleans but i will have to use them as cleans are banned in my gym, due to an incident several years ago when someone dropped the weight doing cleans and it went through the floor and down into a busy shop below. (whether this actually happened or is just an excuse to not buy bumper plates is a mystery)
im not throwing in the dips or chins until i feel i need to, only other thing i have considered is alternating rows with chins week for week.
If you can do cleans definately do them.
Oh do you ever go on msn using your hotmail account?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Middleweight

Quote:
they are nowhere near as effective as cleans but i will have to use them as cleans are banned in my gym, due to an incident several years ago when someone dropped the weight doing cleans and it went through the floor and down into a busy shop below. (whether this actually happened or is just an excuse to not buy bumper plates is a mystery)
im not throwing in the dips or chins until i feel i need to, only other thing i have considered is alternating rows with chins week for week.
If you can do cleans definately do them.
Oh do you ever go on msn using your hotmail account?
being new to lifting cleans look like bad form could easily result in an injury and as i will be working out at home due to being surrounded by **** gyms i thought i would do the rows, i want to do cleans but there is a floor below me and now your story about barbells going through floors makes me think of subbing it.
weighted chins?
and no i dont mate, when i am online it's to check mail, bank accounts, uni stuff and abc!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Middleweight

Starting strength Day 3
Weight upon waking 155.2lbs

Squats
44x5x2
88x5x1
132x3x1
170.5x2x1
192.5x5x3

Press
44x5x2
66x5x1
77x3x1
82.5x2x1
88x5x3

Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

The squats felt very heavy today compared with last time so might make a smaller jump of only 11lbs on friday (i'm happy that i'll be breaking the 200 mark).
Im new to doing presses and these felt just right so i think adding 5lbs a week from here might be possible.
The rows were difficult as im not used to doing a deadlift type movement then stopping and transferring momentum to the bar, so im only going to do 5lb increases at the most to ensure i maintain good form.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Middleweight

Quote:
Starting strength Day 3
Weight upon waking 155.2lbs

Squats
44x5x2
88x5x1
132x3x1
170.5x2x1
192.5x5x3

Press
44x5x2
66x5x1
77x3x1
82.5x2x1
88x5x3

Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

The squats felt very heavy today compared with last time so might make a smaller jump of only 11lbs on friday (i'm happy that i'll be breaking the 200 mark).
Im new to doing presses and these felt just right so i think adding 5lbs a week from here might be possible.
The rows were difficult as im not used to doing a deadlift type movement then stopping and transferring momentum to the bar, so im only going to do 5lb increases at the most to ensure i maintain good form.
do you dead the weight after every rep on the rows?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Middleweight

i do indeed, unlike deadlifts tho dont bend at the knee, your knees should be slightly bent but stay at the same angle throughout, keep your back in extention and lower the weight using your hips, dead the weight on the floor then reset your back, breathe and then lift again.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

You are going to fall in love with Pendlay rows. They are great. Just make sure you maintain good form like you mentioned above, it is easy to get sloppy on these.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Middleweight

I like them already, its just a case of getting used to them, my last rep on each set was a bit sloppy as i was putting too much hip into it yet rowing the weight was easy enough. Definately feel better to do than isolation BB rows.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Middleweight

Quote:
I like them already, its just a case of getting used to them, my last rep on each set was a bit sloppy as i was putting too much hip into it yet rowing the weight was easy enough. Definately feel better to do than isolation BB rows.
how you finding starting strength so far mate?