Greg's bulking journal - Page 4 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Gregsimo Gregsimo is offline
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 991
Default

Im not at the minute, im sticking to the basic program then in a couple of months i'll be doing dips and pullups once the plateau's start arriving. im also doing BB rows instead of cleans as for some reason my gym wont buy bumper plates and all the existing ones are bad.
im just doing

Workout A
Abs (3 sets of roman chair situps)
Squats
bench press
Deadlifts

Workout B
Squats
Overhead press
BB rows
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Ellingham's Avatar
Ellingham Ellingham is offline
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Im not at the minute, im sticking to the basic program then in a couple of months i'll be doing dips and pullups once the plateau's start arriving. im also doing BB rows instead of cleans as for some reason my gym wont buy bumper plates and all the existing ones are bad.
im just doing

Workout A
Abs (3 sets of roman chair situps)
Squats
bench press
Deadlifts

Workout B
Squats
Overhead press
BB rows
depending on energy levels after workout i might throw the dips or chins in.
do you reckon the rows are as effective as the cleans? as i'm not to keen on the cleans
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Gregsimo Gregsimo is offline
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 991
Default

they are nowhere near as effective as cleans but i will have to use them as cleans are banned in my gym, due to an incident several years ago when someone dropped the weight doing cleans and it went through the floor and down into a busy shop below. (whether this actually happened or is just an excuse to not buy bumper plates is a mystery)
im not throwing in the dips or chins until i feel i need to, only other thing i have considered is alternating rows with chins week for week.
If you can do cleans definately do them.
Oh do you ever go on msn using your hotmail account?
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Ellingham's Avatar
Ellingham Ellingham is offline
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
they are nowhere near as effective as cleans but i will have to use them as cleans are banned in my gym, due to an incident several years ago when someone dropped the weight doing cleans and it went through the floor and down into a busy shop below. (whether this actually happened or is just an excuse to not buy bumper plates is a mystery)
im not throwing in the dips or chins until i feel i need to, only other thing i have considered is alternating rows with chins week for week.
If you can do cleans definately do them.
Oh do you ever go on msn using your hotmail account?
being new to lifting cleans look like bad form could easily result in an injury and as i will be working out at home due to being surrounded by **** gyms i thought i would do the rows, i want to do cleans but there is a floor below me and now your story about barbells going through floors makes me think of subbing it.
weighted chins?
and no i dont mate, when i am online it's to check mail, bank accounts, uni stuff and abc!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Gregsimo Gregsimo is offline
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 991
Default

Starting strength Day 3
Weight upon waking 155.2lbs

Squats
44x5x2
88x5x1
132x3x1
170.5x2x1
192.5x5x3

Press
44x5x2
66x5x1
77x3x1
82.5x2x1
88x5x3

Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

The squats felt very heavy today compared with last time so might make a smaller jump of only 11lbs on friday (i'm happy that i'll be breaking the 200 mark).
Im new to doing presses and these felt just right so i think adding 5lbs a week from here might be possible.
The rows were difficult as im not used to doing a deadlift type movement then stopping and transferring momentum to the bar, so im only going to do 5lb increases at the most to ensure i maintain good form.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Ellingham's Avatar
Ellingham Ellingham is offline
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Starting strength Day 3
Weight upon waking 155.2lbs

Squats
44x5x2
88x5x1
132x3x1
170.5x2x1
192.5x5x3

Press
44x5x2
66x5x1
77x3x1
82.5x2x1
88x5x3

Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

The squats felt very heavy today compared with last time so might make a smaller jump of only 11lbs on friday (i'm happy that i'll be breaking the 200 mark).
Im new to doing presses and these felt just right so i think adding 5lbs a week from here might be possible.
The rows were difficult as im not used to doing a deadlift type movement then stopping and transferring momentum to the bar, so im only going to do 5lb increases at the most to ensure i maintain good form.
do you dead the weight after every rep on the rows?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Gregsimo Gregsimo is offline
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 991
Default

i do indeed, unlike deadlifts tho dont bend at the knee, your knees should be slightly bent but stay at the same angle throughout, keep your back in extention and lower the weight using your hips, dead the weight on the floor then reset your back, breathe and then lift again.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Commander's Avatar
Commander Commander is offline
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East U.S.A.
Posts: 6,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
Rows from ground
44x5x1
93.5x5x1
132x2x1
154x5x3

The rows were difficult as im not used to doing a deadlift type movement then stopping and transferring momentum to the bar, so im only going to do 5lb increases at the most to ensure i maintain good form.
You are going to fall in love with Pendlay rows. They are great. Just make sure you maintain good form like you mentioned above, it is easy to get sloppy on these.
__________________

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Gregsimo Gregsimo is offline
Gregsimo is on a one way road to mass gaining
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 991
Default

I like them already, its just a case of getting used to them, my last rep on each set was a bit sloppy as i was putting too much hip into it yet rowing the weight was easy enough. Definately feel better to do than isolation BB rows.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Ellingham's Avatar
Ellingham Ellingham is offline
Ellingham is getting lean
Middleweight
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
I like them already, its just a case of getting used to them, my last rep on each set was a bit sloppy as i was putting too much hip into it yet rowing the weight was easy enough. Definately feel better to do than isolation BB rows.
how you finding starting strength so far mate?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.