Bodybuilding For The Beginner! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Default Bodybuilding For The Beginner!

The Plunge

You've reached the breaking point, time for a change and decided 'this is what i'm going to do'. Bodybuilding is a daunting endevour as well as a life changing experience. The blokes in the mags are huge, Ripped to the bone and lift weights that you couldnt imagine lifting. Even some of the common vocabulary throws you into a completed daze: creatine, 21's, Negatives, SS, burn out, occlussion, Pyramid training, unilateral training (well ok maybe not all of them)

Well here is something to think about. That bloke you were reading about in the magazine (you know the one with 22" arms and a figure model on his arm). He did all this as well, He would of had to come into a gym and ask how to do things are lift, for all you know he may of started off 20lb lighter than you 5 years older.

Let's Begin

So you've decided to do this seriously? Maybe add 20+ muscle? Lose the gut? Improve the arms? Or, like many others, you want to improve your fitness and enjoy life in a healthy way. First, Write down some realistic goals (both long term and short term). By realistic they have to be specific and perceived as attainable (by you). For example 1) add 10lb to my bench press in 3 months, 2) cut 4% BF in 14 weeks. None of this Mr Olympia by Xmas last year sort of thing.

Here is bodybuilding's No 1 secret, Ready? ok....... There is no perfect routine. Yep you read it correctly there is no 'best routine' out there, sure there are hundreds of ideas but everyone is different; Arnold did very high volume training and won 7 Mr Olympias, Dorian Yates used low volume and attained 6 titles. Everyone is different. Those interested in competing have different demands, goals than say.. the clerk attendant wanting to lose his stomach for the yearly holidays.
Genetics are the main factor in how your body responds to different training methods and dieting techniques. Oh yes, it applies to diet too as well. You most likely have a skinny friend or two who eats mars bars and 10 cans of red bull daily without putting on a pound. On the other hand you probably also have a friend who can't lose a single pound and eats less than a rabbit. Thats genetics for you, now that may be slightly dishearting but stick with YOUR plan and you will reach the goals you have set out for yourself.

A few pointers...

1. If new to lifting (particularly older generations) get checked over by a physician, the last thing you need is a bad first day putting you out for a week.
2. Assess your current condition and plan solid goals accordingly, - This happens all too often.. Attempting the marathan when you can't even do the jog yet. Space out the goals 3 months, 6 months, etc with attainable targets, reaching these targets will help you to keep improving.
3. Assess yourself every few months; photos are a great tool, review training methods (what has worked what hasn't), diet, etc. Look for areas of improvement and (when needed) what to change.

Your Programme

"You can't build a castle without first laying down the foundation."

Straight out of the gate as a beginner your main focus should be to build a solid foundation. This means no messing round with bicep curls supersetted with 50 sets etc but to make sure. Every major muscle group should be developed to prevent muscle imbalance and to reduce the risk of injury. The major muscle groups are legs (quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, glutes), chest, shoulders, back (Trapezius, lats, erectors), abdominals and arms (biceps, triceps).

There are literally thousands of different types of exercises available to you. However, as a novice, you'll see better results sticking with compound movements instead of isolation movements. Compound movements are exercises that involve more than one muscle group (squats, deadlifts, etc). Isolation movements are, just like the name suggests, isolated to one muscle group. Compound movements recruit the largest amount of muscles possible. This means you'll see more/better gains from utilizing them. Advanced lifters use isolation movements to target week areas. Here's a list of compound movements for major muscle groups, they should be the bulk of your program for now:

Legs (quads/hamstrings): Barbell squats, walking lunges
Back: Deadlifts, bent over rows, pullups
Biceps: Barbell curls
Chest: Incline Bench press, Dips
Triceps: Close Grip Bench Press, Dips
Shoulders: Push Press, Military press
Abdominals/Core: Crunch, leg raise
Calves: Calf Raises

These basic exercises can be done numbers of ways. For example, the bench press can be done laying flat, on a decline, or on a incline. Also, you can use a barbbell or a dumbbell. You can also use a machine however this would be more of an isolation-type movement as it does not utilize as many stabilizer muscles.

Further... Two similar exercises can target a muscle differently. For example, the bench press is a good at working most of the chest, but the incline press (bench press done on an incline bench) works the upper pectorals to a higher degree. When different exercises are put together to form a routine, you'll want to include movements that hit the same muscle in different ways. This challenges the muscle in different ways, resulting in more growth and better gains. As a novice, I recommend you normally include 2-3 different exercises when you work each bodypart.

Weights, Reps & Sets
During the first couple of training sessions, you'll want to go pretty light just to get a feel for how to do the movement correctly. After you feel comfortable with the form, begin adding weight untill the point where 8-10 reps is difficult but no bodyswinging is needed.

Once you find a challenging weight, stick with it. So you'll become stronger and be able to increase the number of reps. Once you can do 12, it's time to increase your training poundage by about 10%. At this heavier weight, you won't be able to do 12 reps, but with time you'll once again be able to. Keep working in this fashion.

Keeping a training log with weight used, sets, reps etc will help you to progress

Remember the aim is to to build the body not lift more weight so only increase weight when form is still good (you should never give yourself back ache from something like barbell curls).

The number of Sets for a beginner i would recommend 1-2 light warm up sets followed by 1-3 heavy sets to give total set numbers of between 2-5 sets

Lifting pace & Range Of Movement (ROM)

Many people seem to struggle with this, it is not a race your not trying to throw the barbell through the gym roof nice smooth reps are the best way to avoid injury and ensure the muscle is worked fully

Use a full range of motion in your exercise movements. You want to work each target muscle through its natural range of motion for complete development and to prevent injury

Breathing

For some reason when lifting many people forget how to breath you see it on squats, deadlifts and bench press, purple faces and people hold their breath through the lift, This is not good for you at all not only does it increase blood pressure but it cuts of oxygen to the muscles essential you could be making yourself weaker

Start each set with a deep inhalation and exhale as you push through the most difficult part of the lift

Resting Between Sets

To be honest rest aslong as you need, that normally ranges from 45-90 seconds. Larger muscle groups take a bit longer to recover; Do not sit around for ten mins on the phone or chatting to buddies the aim here is drink so fluid and rest 30 secs or how ever long needed to get the PH levels in the muscle down again and hit the weight hard again

Frequency & Time
You may read magazines saying do x amount of exercises x times a week to total 100 hours in the gym etc on monday mornings, evenings and weekends etc, but those workouts are no good for you, those bodybuilders are advanced to say the least many have lifted for 15 years or more.
For beginners 2-3 times a week focusing on compound movements should be enough and to be honest if you can train all the compounds more than 3 times a week your not lifting right.

How long should a workout last? 1 hour? 2 hour? how about arnolds 3 hour austrian blitz? Nope The bodies testosterone will start to reduce after 45-48 minutes so training should be an hour of less.

One last Thing

Quality muscle is not built by spending 5 hours a day in the gym, its built by getting in working as hard as humanly possible then leaving, A good workout should be intense and relatively fast. Now get to the Gym
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Achillesreborn is using his HIT Jedi mind tricks
HIT Jedi

Brief, intense, and infrequent! Just remember there is no secret to building bigger, stronger muscles... it should be quite obvious that it's a lot of hard work mixed with intelligent planning and some common sense. You stimulate growth in the gym but you don't actually grow until your done in the gym, so make sure to allow for adequate rest and recovery not to mention overcompensation. If you have the same strength every time you enter the gym or you're getting weaker, it's not because your body is necessarily inferior, it just means you haven't given it enough rest to overcompensate from the exhaustive effects of an intensely stimulating strength workout.

Klosey is correct, you should never train like Arnold (3 hours a day, 6 days a week) because Arnold never should have worked out that much. The only reason he could get away with training that much is because of his "superhuman-like" genetics that allowed him to recover and overcompensate faster than the average human being.

For any of you noobies, you need to know (because some of you are ill-informed) ALL Mr. Olympia pro bodybuilders are on atleast 2 of the following 3 drugs: testosterone (steroids), human growth hormone (HGH), and usually stack with insulin. These drugs increase protein synthesis at an intense speed which allows the body to recover from workouts faster and build new muscle tissue at an alarming rate. These "Mr. Olympias" are no longer true bodybuilders, they are science experiments.

Do not get discouraged because your arms aren't breaking the 18, 17, 16, or even 15" mark. Majority of the pros lie about their arm measurements anyway and the others measure their arms pumped which you're not supposed to do and can add up to 1" 1/2 to their normal arm size. Arnold's arms were actually just slightly over 19" cold and they were the biggest of his time yet he states in pumping iron that they are over 23"!!!!!!!

One last thing, a muscular 15" or 16" arm is far more impressive than a bloated or puffy 17" arm. Trust me your arms will look bigger than they are if they are muscular.

Goodluck to any beginners and remember, bodybuilding is not a fad it's a lifestyle. Stay healthy my friends!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 AM
monkeyboy007 is on a 10wk clean-bulk
Middleweight

The best summary I've ever read!

I spent 2-3 years messing around with machines, iso exercises and a poor diet.

This year has been predominantly "back to basics" - following the above - and I'm already in better shape than I was before. Good luck all

> The monkey don't know what the monkey don't see! <
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Excellent beginners summary klosey, I've been waiting for something like this at least around here for people to read.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 PM
BigBadRick is The Incredible Hulk
Bantamweight

"Breathing

For some reason when lifting many people forget how to breath you see it on squats, deadlifts and bench press, purple faces and people hold their breath through the lift, This is not good for you at all not only does it increase blood pressure but it cuts of oxygen to the muscles essential you could be making yourself weaker

Start each set with a deep inhalation and exhale as you push through the most difficult part of the lift"

I think holding your breath through the rep and breathing at the finish of the rep is a personal choice. You should check out Rippetoes SS book as he discusses the benefits of the Valsalva maneuver. I use that technique and it has worked for me absolutely perfectly. If anything I would exhale AFTER the hardest part of the rep.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadRick View Post
"Breathing

Start each set with a deep inhalation and exhale as you push through the most difficult part of the lift"

I think holding your breath through the rep and breathing at the finish of the rep is a personal choice. You should check out Rippetoes SS book as he discusses the benefits of the Valsalva maneuver. I use that technique and it has worked for me absolutely perfectly. If anything I would exhale AFTER the hardest part of the rep.

not a fan breathing through the tough part helps mentally exert more force like when grunting on heavy sets, the way you suggest is more advanced than beginner and has lead to many 'over' holding on heavy reps and passing out
Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
codigo230 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Great Info klosey... when I started lifting to be specific while bench pressing i used to forget to exhale when pushing the bar. I think taking a deep breath and exhaling makes it easier then breathing through the tough part
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codigo230 View Post
Great Info klosey... when I started lifting to be specific while bench pressing i used to forget to exhale when pushing the bar. I think taking a deep breath and exhaling makes it easier then breathing through the tough part
Cheers bro, yeah it seems to be mixed thoughts on this, seems some people prefer one way to the other, its a tricky one though, as weights get heavy (as (think the spelling is right) kevin knee proved on wsm 07) when deadlifting heavy for reps that last rep if cant manage it and holding breath you will pass out
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Deuce should change his/her status!
Stranger

The best intro to bodybuilding I have ever read Klosey and Achillesreborn

Either that or u broke somthin lol
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 AM
robdog is going for it
Rookie

Great thread. that helps a lot.
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. -Galations 2:20