Muscular Guys Have Been Weeded Out By Evolution - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
rootb33r's Avatar
rootb33r rootb33r is offline
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetBig View Post

And really if it were a survival of the fittest thing wouldn’t strength play a huge advantage?
Evolution is about intelligence and physical make-up (not just strength). For example, we as humans developed opposed thumbs because that's what let us survive as omnivores the most efficient way. Strength was only useful to an extent-- I'm sure there have existed humans that were much stronger than anyone today, but there was no evolutionary need for these people. They had no advantage by being significantly stronger; all we needed to survive was hunting and gathering intelligence (for purposes of sustenance), and the desire to procreate.

There exists a wide array of body types (everything from metabolism speed to musculature to skin color) in the world today because these things mattered the least in procreation and survival, therefore they haven't been "weeded out" (yet?).
__________________
rootb33r's Journal
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
GonnaGetBig's Avatar
GonnaGetBig GonnaGetBig is offline
GonnaGetBig is out of shape and in need of help
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
Evolution is about intelligence and physical make-up (not just strength). For example, we as humans developed opposed thumbs because that's what let us survive as omnivores the most efficient way. Strength was only useful to an extent-- I'm sure there have existed humans that were much stronger than anyone today, but there was no evolutionary need for these people. They had no advantage by being significantly stronger; all we needed to survive was hunting and gathering intelligence (for purposes of sustenance), and the desire to procreate.

There exists a wide array of body types (everything from metabolism speed to musculature to skin color) in the world today because these things mattered the least in procreation and survival, therefore they haven't been "weeded out" (yet?).

Again I feel like they just want to give credit to evolution for something it's not responsible for. I like science but I have gotten where I just don’t jump on the wagon when it comes to evolution because I don’t think they are unbiased enough with the research. And to me this article is really reaching to find a connection between evolution and a lower population of muscular people.

Also are we really seeing a reduction in large or muscular people? I sure don’t see it but I’m curious if there is any proof of that. I mean people in general are a lot larger than they were even 50 years ago I think. I’m sure it has to do with diet and the fact that food is very abundant these days. But whatever the reason I just don’t see a reduction in size in people today…if anything I think we have gotten considerably larger in every way.

Now I’m not trying to completely discredit evolution here….I’m just not sold on this particular topic I guess.

I personally think it’s fairly obvious that in humans microevolution exist but I’m not going along with the whole “we came from monkeys” stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
rogjodoin's Avatar
rogjodoin rogjodoin is offline
rogjodoin is wants to look to the miracle worker more than the miracle itself
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: central MA
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetBig View Post
I personally think it’s fairly obvious that in humans microevolution exist but I’m not going along with the whole “we came from monkeys” stuff.
Duh! how come the monkeys aren't still evolving?
Gen. 1:25
"And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and the cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth on the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good."
__________________
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Venom's Avatar
Venom Venom is offline
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Pain Zone
Posts: 19,500
Default

Quote:
Again I feel like they just want to give credit to evolution for something it's not responsible for. I like science but I have gotten where I just don’t jump on the wagon when it comes to evolution because I don’t think they are unbiased enough with the research. And to me this article is really reaching to find a connection between evolution and a lower population of muscular people.
Natural selection is observable and can be seen today. So I don't really have a problem with the general assertion of the article; I just think it is baseless. This topic does not really relate to ape to man evolution, though.
__________________
Gabriel "Venom" Wilson, Ph.D. Nutritional Sciences
B.S. (Hons) & M.S. in Kinesiology, CSCS
Vice President, ABCbodybuilding
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!


Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
GonnaGetBig's Avatar
GonnaGetBig GonnaGetBig is offline
GonnaGetBig is out of shape and in need of help
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
So I don't really have a problem with the general assertion of the article; I just think it is baseless. This topic does not really relate to ape to man evolution, though.
Well that's my point though. I think it's reaching for a connection that isn't really shown in his research. Once again..."it's got to be evolution"...or really it's that he WANTS it to be evolution.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Wizard24 Wizard24 is offline
Wizard24 is mixing up the diet.
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Cack
Posts: 487
Default

I’ve also got to balk at the premise of this article. If muscle growth through increased testosterone lowers the immune system, then what is the effect of being overweight? Being obese is even more harmful to the immune system than being muscular, yet 50% of US adults are overweight or obese and this number continues to rise. This flies in direct contradiction to the evolutionary theory of “survival of the fittest”. People are fatter and less muscular now because they, for whatever reason, are choosing to be this way. Saying it is because of evolution just takes this responsibility away from the individual in my opinion.
__________________
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." - Matthew 24:35

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." - Galations 5:22-23
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
rogjodoin's Avatar
rogjodoin rogjodoin is offline
rogjodoin is wants to look to the miracle worker more than the miracle itself
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: central MA
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard24 View Post
I’ve also got to balk at the premise of this article. If muscle growth through increased testosterone lowers the immune system, then what is the effect of being overweight? Being obese is even more harmful to the immune system than being muscular, yet 50% of US adults are overweight or obese and this number continues to rise. This flies in direct contradiction to the evolutionary theory of “survival of the fittest”. People are fatter and less muscular now because they, for whatever reason, are choosing to be this way. Saying it is because of evolution just takes this responsibility away from the individual in my opinion.
Its like typical. We as humans love to play the blame game. Of course, eating wrong is not hard these days with all the misunderstood ingredients in our food. People need to become aware of what they are injesting. But, then again, most don't care. End the SAD(standard American diet)!
__________________
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
rootb33r's Avatar
rootb33r rootb33r is offline
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogjodoin View Post
Duh! how come the monkeys aren't still evolving?
Ignorant statement #34,959,402,836,754 made by creationists. Typically followed by scripture of God creating the world.

Too predictable, man

Seriously though, this article IS claiming micro-evolution. It's claiming that within the homosapien population as we know it today, it has evolved such that it makes THEORETICAL sense.
__________________
rootb33r's Journal
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
rogjodoin's Avatar
rogjodoin rogjodoin is offline
rogjodoin is wants to look to the miracle worker more than the miracle itself
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: central MA
Posts: 101
Default

[quote=rootb33r;889001]Ignorant statement #34,959,402,836,754 made by creationists. Typically followed by scripture of God creating the world.

Too predictable, man



Well, do you have a logical answer to my question? How is this an ignorant statement when the evolutionist are too ignorant to answer it? It is so logical and makes so much sense. Yet those who rebel against God and His Holy scripture will not even use creation as a possibility of origin. They totally dismiss it because it will prove itself correct. Of course, an atheist cant be proven wrong, that would injure his pride!

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not arguing against you, I just know beyond measure that God does exsist and the Bible is accurate. This has been revealed to me by God's Holy spirit. Ya, you may think thats weird, but unless you experiance it, you will never understand it. So I share the truth with all I can because I am passionate about it. The Bible says that God has put it in the heart of all men to know that He exsist. so therefore, we either choose to believe or we rebel against Him.

I choose to bow before Him now rather than after its too late!
__________________
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:40 PM
rootb33r's Avatar
rootb33r rootb33r is offline
rootb33r is probably at work, daydreaming about the gym
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogjodoin View Post
Well, do you have a logical answer to my question? How is this an ignorant statement when the evolutionist are too ignorant to answer it? It is so logical and makes so much sense. Yet those who rebel against God and His Holy scripture will not even use creation as a possibility of origin. They totally dismiss it because it will prove itself correct. Of course, an atheist cant be proven wrong, that would injure his pride!

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not arguing against you, I just know beyond measure that God does exsist and the Bible is accurate. This has been revealed to me by God's Holy spirit. Ya, you may think thats weird, but unless you experiance it, you will never understand it. So I share the truth with all I can because I am passionate about it. The Bible says that God has put it in the heart of all men to know that He exsist. so therefore, we either choose to believe or we rebel against Him.

I choose to bow before Him now rather than after its too late!
The logical answer is that the evolution of ape into human took millions of years. We haven't been competent or coherent as a human race for long enough to witness the evolution of apes further. Besides, there are other exogenous factors at play which will change the previous evolutionary timeline; it won't happen again in the same fashion. Humans are a species of ape that has branched out so far that all intermediaries have been "Darwinised," for lack of a better phrase.

I actually love to be proven wrong because that is the most efficient way of learning. You never forget when you're wrong.

No offense (seriously, I'm not just ubiquitously saying that), but the only proof your people have is a bunch of nut-jobs running around claiming personal visits from one of the trinity.

I honestly don't understand how people can believe in religion (Christianity, yes, but this also applies to any religion). It seriously BOGGLES my mind.
__________________
rootb33r's Journal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.