Question about the precontestweek Article by Jacob! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 AM
DaveLin is clean bulking without bisquick
Lightweight

Default Question about the precontestweek Article by Jacob!

Hi,

I'm still reading through this rather interesting, though scientific article. I have noticed after scanning the entire article there is no mention of potassium, although there is plenty mention of sodium..

I do understand the basics that sodium osmolarity causes water retention extracellularly, but I also heard elsewhere that potassium causes the muscle cell to uptake water since potassium is generally in the muscle.

as an aside, i've noticed whenever I increase my potassium (maybe just 750-1000 mg a day from a banana and some spinach), I lose weight very rapidly, about 1->1.5 lbs in the form of water overnight. I figure it's a diuretic, but I can't figure out where that water is coming from, in the muscle? outside the muscle? too good to be true if it's extracelullary water only. BTW, I eat a very high salt diet, probably about 4 grams a day being it's my offseason.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Lightweight

anyone? doesn't have to be jacob although that is preferred!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

from what i can gather the potassium levels no not increase during pre contest, a few of the lads at the gym have told me to have bannana in my bag near contest time because the potassium will stop the muscles crapping, however not sure how acurate that is
Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
from what i can gather the potassium levels no not increase during pre contest, a few of the lads at the gym have told me to have bannana in my bag near contest time because the potassium will stop the muscles crapping, however not sure how acurate that is
thanks klosey. I would believe it's true as I used to incorporate a banana and extra water my cramps would stop. I used to cramp up after I ran the 800m back in high school every single time. once I did the sodium banana + some water it never came back.

I was just thinking potassium might have a direct effect on cell volumization that would be important for pre-contest loading, or even just day to day exercising. potassium is supposed to be higher in muscle, and it should pull water along with it into the muscle. More water in the cell should equate to more anabolism and more strength as I read...