I hate my body after baby and 60+ pounds in 4 years - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
JclarissaT is a fluffy mommy
Stranger

Unhappy I hate my body after baby and 60+ pounds in 4 years

Hello,

I have gained at least 60 lbs. in the last 4 years and I have had a baby. Up until 5 years ago, I was a basketball player and played year round. I was in great shape. After my college career was over, I basically continued to work out, and became very conscious of my diet. I got ripped by doing this. However, I fell in love with someone who was not good for me, and quit working out.

Fast forward 5 years and I have gained at least 60 lbs and have a mother's apron from my pregnancy. I hate my body and have become very self conscious and depressed.

I know that I want to lose the weight and get back into shape, but I just have a hard time staying motivated. Before I had my son, I could just get up and exercise. I could work out two times a day, but i just don't have the time or energy now.

I wanted to know if anyone out there has any experience with getting back in the game after so long away from working out hardcore. I am also concerned about injuries because I don't have health insurance and am quite heavy
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

hi there.

the hardest part is always the first step. since right now your feeling unmotivated and you dont have energy, the first thing your should do is set up a good diet. once that is up and running, you can get back into your old routine. dont expect to wake up one morning and suddenly feel like working out and train everyday till you are where you want to be. start of small. go for walks. then runs. then start some resistance training. then suddenly you will realise that everything is falling into place.
as for the injuries. avoid things that might jarr your knees or joints (e.g. hard surface sprinting), but otherwise it shouldnt be too hard for you to build up a foundation for you to get going (since you have a good history of exercise and keeping fit).
as for motivation, it is hard for anyone to tell you to do it. it should be enough for you too look in the mirror and be self-conscious and depressed and want to change your lifestyle. also think of your son when getting back into it. you wanna run around and play with him and do the things he wants to do.

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
goodluck
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

main advice, get back into it slowly, the biggest mistake many make is going straight back onto super strict diet and extreme workouts, start light, diet wise start with a few changes at first then every week add a few more, same with training cardio wise start with 10 mins on a bike twice a week and build up time and sessions week after week. this way you won't feel run down as fast or hate the dieting and feel you cant do it.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Stranger

thanks for the replies! I have been doing some walking with my son in the jogging stroller and I do feel a little energized. I will definitely have to tighten up my diet. I have a problem with carving out time for me. I am so wrapped up in taking care of my baby and husband, that I often put myself last when it comes to eating, sleeping and working out.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 AM
joneser3eb is adding weight to the bar
Steel-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
main advice, get back into it slowly, the biggest mistake many make is going straight back onto super strict diet and extreme workouts, start light, diet wise start with a few changes at first then every week add a few more, same with training cardio wise start with 10 mins on a bike twice a week and build up time and sessions week after week. this way you won't feel run down as fast or hate the dieting and feel you cant do it.
x2. I went a year without working out or eating correctly and it was horrible. but I started slow, did my homework and planned. if you plan and set goals and start slow you will get back to your old self. dont try and do all in one day. it will take time, but make sure you set time aside for yourself.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JclarissaT View Post
thanks for the replies! I have been doing some walking with my son in the jogging stroller and I do feel a little energized. I will definitely have to tighten up my diet. I have a problem with carving out time for me. I am so wrapped up in taking care of my baby and husband, that I often put myself last when it comes to eating, sleeping and working out.
yeh its all well and good that you wanna take care of them. but you will always be able to find time for yourself if you look hard enough
Old 03-06-2009, 03:48 AM
plagana should change his/her status!
Rookie

I found setting specific,measurable goals was very helpful for me. When I started I created the following:

1) My ultimate long-term goal
2) 12 month goal
3) 3 month goal
4) Weekly goals
5) Daily goals

This February was one year since I started my fitness plans, and I recently pulled out my goals and realized I met some of them and failed in others, and was able to take a step back and get on track again.

I let the married life and stress of working for a living be my excuse for not having time to excercise, and ten years later I was 270 lbs with high blood pressure and was worried about being around for my kids when they were older.

Now I make sure I find time to excercise and have made eating healthy a part of my lifestyle, since "diets" don't work and usually fail. Now the gym time is "my" time - just for me - and is very theraputic.

230 lbs. | Bench: 295 | Squat: 315 | Deadlift: 365
Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
x3. My wife gained a lot after her first pregnancy and went through a period where she was very unhappy with herself. Basically, she slowly got back into cardio building up her work capacity. She slowly eliminated bad foods and now she is doing P90X and is quite ripped! Just be patient and keep it at. Keep posting here and we can encourage you on your journey.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I just want you to know that I am in spupport of you. I laid off about 4 years one time and it was really hard. Worse thing I ever heard was, one step at a time, but guess what, that's exactly right. Started walking and once the rush came back, so did the desire. Good luck and keep on keepin' on.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Stranger

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate all of the support.

I will set my goals and post them for me to see everyday. I just need to map out a plan and work on it everyday.

Anyone have experience with this mother's apron deal? Will it go away as I lose fat? I have a very slight one and I am so embarrassed by it.

Last edited by JclarissaT; 03-07-2009 at 07:24 AM.