Daily Devotional - Page 10 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Recreation > The Sanctuary

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
alang is hating tendonitis!!!
Rookie

Cory, I want you to know that I truly appreciate all of the effort that you put into posting the Daily Devotional every day, and (please take this as a positive) I missed not having it to wake up to this morning.

Hope all is well!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 19

February 19, 2009

Celebrate Winter

READ: Psalm 42

Why are you cast down, O my soul? . . . Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance. —Psalm 42:5

I love living where there are four seasons. But even though I love settling down with a good book by a crackling fire when it’s snowing, I must admit that my love for the seasons grows a little dim when the long gray days of winter drone on into February.

Yet regardless of the weather, there is always something special about winter: Christmas! Thankfully, long after the decorations are down, the reality of Christmas still lifts my spirits no matter what’s happening.

If it weren’t for the reality of Christ’s birth, not only would winter be dark and dreary, but our hearts would be bleak and have nothing to hope for. No hope for the freedom from guilt and judgment. No hope of His reassuring and strengthening presence through dark and difficult times. No hope for a future secured in heaven.

In the winter of a troubled life, the psalmist asked, “Why are you cast down, O my soul?” The remedy was clear: “Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance” (Ps. 42:5).

In C. S. Lewis’ tales of Narnia, Mr. Tumnus complains that in Narnia it is “always winter and never Christmas.” But for those of us who know the God who made the seasons, it is always Christmas in our hearts! — Joe Stowell

When our lives are heavy laden,
Cold and bleak as winter long,
Stir the embers in our hearts, Lord;
Make Your flame burn bright and strong. —Kieda

Let the reality of Christmas chase away the blahs of winter.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang View Post
Cory, I want you to know that I truly appreciate all of the effort that you put into posting the Daily Devotional every day, and (please take this as a positive) I missed not having it to wake up to this morning.

Hope all is well!
Sorry guys, caught a stomach bug yesterday, I spent the majority of the day in bed.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 20

February 20, 2009

Dying For Justice

READ: Deut. 24:14-22

You shall remember that you were a slave in Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you from there. —Deuteronomy 24:18

When Presbyterian clergyman Elijah Lovejoy (1802–1837) left the pulpit, he returned to the printing presses in order to reach more people. After witnessing a lynching, Lovejoy committed to fighting the injustice of slavery. His life was threatened by hateful mobs, but this did not stop him: “If by compromise is meant that I should cease from my duty, I cannot make it. I fear God more than I fear man. Crush me if you will, but I shall die at my post.” Four days after these words, he was killed at the hands of another angry mob.

Concern about justice for the oppressed is evident throughout Scripture. It was especially clear when God established the rules for His covenant people after they were released from Egyptian bondage (Deut. 24:18-22). Moses emphasized concern for the underprivileged (Ex. 22:22-27; 23:6-9; Lev. 19:9-10). Repeatedly, the Israelites were reminded that they had been slaves in Egypt and should deal justly with the underprivileged in their community. They were to love strangers (“aliens”) because God loves them, and the Israelites had themselves been aliens in Egypt (Ex. 23:9; Lev. 19:34; Deut. 10:17-19).

God desires that His people affirm the supreme worth of every individual by fighting against injustice. — Marvin Williams

Open my eyes, Lord, to people around me,
Help me to see them as You do above;
Give me the wisdom and strength to take action
So others may see the depth of Your love. —K. De Haan

Standing for justice means fighting against injustice.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
Sorry guys, caught a stomach bug yesterday, I spent the majority of the day in bed.
No problem! Hope you are feeling better today

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
No problem! Hope you are feeling better today
Thanks significantly better, had an awesome workout today left the gym on cloud 9.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 21

February 21, 2009

Is That You, Neighbor?

READ: Luke 6:27-36

And who is my neighbor? —Luke 10:29

An English yachtsman sailing in the Caribbean, 4,000 miles from home, lost his mast in a storm. He had been adrift for 2 days, and was taking water in 20-foot waves, when his desperate SOS was picked up. According to Ananova news service, 90 minutes later he was rescued by the captain of a 116,000-ton superliner.

Only when he was pulled out of the water did the rescued sailor discover that the captain who had responded to his call for help was a neighbor from his Hampshire village of Warsash. The rescued man later asked, “What are the chances of being rescued in the middle of nowhere by your neighbor?”

Jesus saw neighbors in unlikely places. When an expert in Jewish law asked Him to define the neighbor we are to love, Jesus drew a big circle. He told the story of a merciful Samaritan to show that a neighbor is the friend, stranger, or enemy who needs the help we can give (Luke 10).

To distinguish ourselves as Jesus’ people, we need to show kindness even to those who wish us harm (Luke 6:32-34). Only then will we reflect the heart of the One who, while we were still His enemies, paid the ultimate price to come to our rescue. — Mart De Haan

How many lives shall I touch today?
How many neighbors will pass my way?
I can bless so many and help so much
If I meet each one with a Christlike touch. —Jones

Our love for Christ is only as real as our love for our neighbor.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 22

February 22, 2009

Choosing The Hard Thing

READ: 2 Corinthians 4:5-18

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair. —2 Corinthians 4:8

On September 12, 1962, President John F. Kennedy delivered a speech at Rice University in Houston, Texas, about the difficult challenges facing the nation. He also shared his passion for the United States to place a man on the moon.

In balancing the needs of his people with the desire to conquer space, Kennedy said, “We choose to go to the moon in this decade. We choose to go to the moon and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard.” The nation responded. Seven years later, Neil Armstrong took a “giant leap for mankind” in July of 1969, by walking on the moon.

Today’s world is filled with energy-saving devices that make life easier, but there is something to be said for embracing life’s challenges. The apostle Paul found serving Christ hard, but he didn’t see it as a cause for discouragement. He continued to focus on Christ, and wrote, “We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair” (2 Cor. 4:8). Paul knew that “He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus, and will present us with you” (v.14). The goal was worth the pain.

By the grace of God, may we commit to serving Jesus—not just when it’s easy, but when it’s hard. — Bill Crowder

For Further Study
Learn more about dealing with difficulties in life.
Read Joseph: Overcoming Life’s Challenges on
the Web at www.discoveryseries.org/q0715

Jesus gave His all to save us—are we giving our all to serve Him?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 23

February 23, 2009

Waiting For The Harvest

READ: Mark 4:26-29

First the blade, then the head, after that the full grain . . . . The harvest has come. —Mark 4:28-29

In the book What’s Gone Wrong With the Harvest? James Engel and Wilbert Norton illustrate on a graph how people often go through a series of preconversion stages before stepping over the line of faith and receiving Jesus as their Savior.

When we hear individuals share their conversion experience, we may conclude that faith happened all at once. But their salvation frequently carries an extended back-story of spiritual pilgrimage before they made that decision. They needed time to reflect on the gospel. For them, coming to the Savior was a process.

This is similar to the process of farming: Months of waiting come to an end and workers stream into the fields to help with the harvest. One of our Lord’s parables illustrates how faith—like a crop—needs time to develop. Responding to the gospel is like a seed that grows “first the blade, then the head, after that the full grain,” until finally, “the harvest has come” (Mark 4:28-29).

Because people may need time and multiple exposures to the gospel before they are ready to make a decision, we need to be sensitive to where they are in their faith-journey. In the meantime, we can cultivate spiritual interest, pray for them, and wait for the harvest! — Dennis Fisher

Have you thought of where you’re going
When this earthly life is past?
Will the seed that you are sowing
Bring a harvest that will last? —Jacobson

We sow the seed—God produces the harvest.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

even though i'm not personally a christian, i'd love to see this keep rolling strong, its a positive thing! carry on Bro's