Commanding My Body - Page 22 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Achillesreborn is using his HIT Jedi mind tricks
HIT Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I went to a power lifting contest today to watch my Father-in-law compete. He is 56 years old and competes raw. He squatted 380 which is an ADAU American Record for his age group and weight class, 181 lb. He benched 250 and deadlifted 460. Now I have some numbers to work on, I only have him beat in bench, need to catch up to his squat and DL!

It was a good time. I really enjoyed being there to support him.

A little 8 year old girl who probably weighed 60 lbs deadlifted 115lb! It was awesome, she also competed in the squat and bench. I can't remember her numbers but she was great fun to watch.
Out of curiosity, what does it mean when you say your father-in law competed raw?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillesreborn View Post
Out of curiosity, what does it mean when you say your father-in law competed raw?
Thanks for checking in Achilles!

Raw means powerlifting with no knee wraps, power suits, etc and it is drug tested. The only gear allowed is a belt.

Bodyweight: 194

Cardio today; 45 second to 1 minute intervals of jump rope totaling 10 minutes of jump rope, mixed with several different exercises designed to get my first real pump and DOMS (we'll see tomorrow if it worked) in my rear delts....yes, I am a dork. I also threw in some external rotations, their a nice pre-hab exercise.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Bodyweight: 192 (light today)

Average weight last week: 192.6
Average weight this week: 193.7

Due to the 1.1 lb average weight gain, calories will remain the same this week.

Last night's workout:
warmup
Pull-ups BW+15 x5 alternated with
Flat Bench 225x2 for 6 sets, 1 minute rest between sets

I did the flat bench with a cambered bar. It was a neat way to mix it up, I got the depth/stretch of the DB bench with the stability of a barbell.

For those of you not familiar with what I'm talking about;

Lat Pulldowns plate loaded 90x10 supersetted with
Barbell Rows 75x8, 3 supersets
These were down real light focusing on constant tension.

Regarding my rear delt experiment - most of my DOMS is in the medial head, but there is some in the rear delt. Such a stubborn little muscle to work. All-in-all, I feel like I made a pretty neat delt workout for the medial and rear heads. Obviously, my front delt gets enough from pressing.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 02-24-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday to Me!!!!!!!!!!

I have been shopping around on craig's list and I finally got myself a power rack!!!!!!

My home gym is complete!!!!!!!! (well, almost, lol, there is ALWAYS room for improvement)

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Achillesreborn is using his HIT Jedi mind tricks
HIT Jedi

Quote:

I have been shopping around on craig's list and I finally got myself a power rack!!!!!!

My home gym is complete!!!!!!!! (well, almost, lol, there is ALWAYS room for improvement)
Happy Birthday!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 AM
plagana should change his/her status!
Rookie

That cambered bar looks wicked cool - seems like one advantage to a home gym is being able to custom fit it with neat stuff like that.

230 lbs. | Bench: 295 | Squat: 315 | Deadlift: 365
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Albertog is OK
Lightweight

Quote:

Congrats on your new toy!!! I'm sure you'll have some fun.
Better late than never: Happy Birthday! Hope you had a nice time with your family.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Quote:

Happy Birthday, you feeling any older? I know I feel it everyday when I get out of bed I'm 27, but that could be contributed to the years of wrestling. I have one question also about the Smolov program, have you noticed any change in your body composition from this?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillesreborn View Post
Happy Birthday!
Thanks Achilles!

My actual birthday is March 1st......I turn 30! But I couldn't wait until March 1st for the power rack, had to grab it before someone else bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagana View Post
That cambered bar looks wicked cool - seems like one advantage to a home gym is being able to custom fit it with neat stuff like that.
Thanks for checking in plagana!

Yeah, having a home gym is great. And I'm not sure if I would have bought that bar, but my father-in-law passed it on to me for free.....and I don't turn down free stuff, lol! I'm glad I took it thought, great stretch in the chest as I am sure you can visualize. Oh, and an added bonus, now I can do barbell rows while lying on an incline bench (I do them regular too, but sometimes I don't want to toast my lower back) and get a complete contraction because the bar won't hit the bench at the top of the ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertog View Post
Congrats on your new toy!!! I'm sure you'll have some fun.
Better late than never: Happy Birthday! Hope you had a nice time with your family.
Thanks Albertog!

No worries, not late. March 1st, and I will likely have a good time and get a date with my wife, woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
Happy Birthday, you feeling any older? I know I feel it everyday when I get out of bed I'm 27, but that could be contributed to the years of wrestling. I have one question also about the Smolov program, have you noticed any change in your body composition from this?
Thanks HardCory!

I feel better than I ever have......honest! The only complaint I have about getting older is when I play on the floor with my kids (age 4 and 8) I get stiff. Particularly my left knee, I tend to tuck it under my body and I think I have overly stretched my one tendon and my patella pops a little on full knee flexion. But during exercise I feel healthy as can be. The only time I feel pain from getting older is when I am in bad positions for prolonged periods, like playing on the floor.

In terms of body composition, the first 3 weeks of Smolov I was in a maintenance diet and my weight remained the same. But I swear it felt like I was getting leaner, thus I figured I added some mass while dropping some fat, albeit a small amount. The last 3 weeks, I have transitioned to a bulk diet and believe I am adding some mass. My waist feels trimmer than it has for awhile (especially for bulking) and I am not doing any ab work except for planks. Thus I attribute how my waist feels to the heavy squatting of Smolov.

Basically, as you can see from my log, I am doing little else for my body except some compound back and chest movements. And my body is looking and feeling really good, for me that is (I still don't look as good as I'd like...but who does). Hope that helps.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Bodyweight: 192.5

Smolov Squat Test

120x4
120x4
170x3
220x2
270x1
290x1
313x1
330x1 beltless, New PR
* 15 minute break (explained below)
340x1 with belt, New PR!

After I lifted 330, my sister-in-law called on Skype Video Phone and I got to see my new neice (I am now an Uncle!). It was awesome, I love technology, my in-laws just set the bouncing chair in front of the web cam and I got to talk with my neice and admire her cuteness.

Every few minutes, I would do bodyweight squats to keep my legs warm (don't worry, my father-in-law was there to talk with his new granddaughter, so I didn't abandon my neice). I think I could have got the 340 beltless, but I figured I would be safe.

My father-in-law watched my form and said they were all good lifts, below parrallel. He would know, he just squatted 380 at a powerlifting meet a few days ago.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength