Commanding My Body - Page 21 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootb33r View Post
Don't worry about 2 pounds, man... It could be a number of things. If that weight remains and you keep adding to it next week, maybe I'd lower calories or throw another low-carb day or a HIIT session in there.
Yeah, I'm not gonna stress, the goal is to bulk now, but hoping to keep it fairly clean. I review my weeks progress on Mondays and decide my weekly diet from there. So we'll see how the next 5 days go.

Thanks for checking in!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Bodyweight: 193

No workout last night....well, I got a cardio workout while leading worship at my church for elementary kids and their parents. Lots of fun, we worship God in all sorts of fun ways; jumping around, waving our arms, and clapping to name a few. The parents were begging for me to stop jumping by the end, lol!

I hope I am not thinking to far ahead. But once Smolov is complete, I was thinking I wanted to do a program as brutal for deadlift as smolov was for squat. Well after searching, I think I found one; The Coan/Phillipi DL routine.

As found here:
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...nphildead.html

I am probably going to run a test of the first workout during the next few weeks since I have a hiatus from squatting currently. I will of course present my results here.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

your hardcore man lol...im barely two weeks into sheiko, and i am thinking about what its going to be like what i get a BREAK from all this hardcore powerlifting....as far as the deadlift, maybe you can do the deadlift day workouts from sheiko (my last workout in my journal was one) but not the rest of the split because i know you don't have the time.....but let me tell you man im a wreck right now, my lower back, traps, biceps, hamstrings and forearms are all sore haha
Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker44 View Post
your hardcore man lol...im barely two weeks into sheiko, and i am thinking about what its going to be like what i get a BREAK from all this hardcore powerlifting....as far as the deadlift, maybe you can do the deadlift day workouts from sheiko (my last workout in my journal was one) but not the rest of the split because i know you don't have the time.....but let me tell you man im a wreck right now, my lower back, traps, biceps, hamstrings and forearms are all sore haha
thanks miker! hardcore....or moronic...only time will tell, lol!

I give you credit for getting 2 weeks into Sheiko, that stuff just was NOT for me. The only reason I can handle the Smolov volume is because I backed off the volume of the rest of my bodyparts. But Sheiko is balls to the wall volume all the time.

I know you said you are a wreck now, but keep sleeping and eating a ton and you'll make it.

Good luck to you, I hope you blast through it and destroy your PR's.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

LOL yeah were both crazy, but were both gona be better for it...thanks for your kind words and i wish you the best of luck as well in continuing to make such great progress....and by the way your starting smolov was definitley part of the inspiration that finally pushed me over the edge into a specialized PL workout, your squat has gone up like crazy.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker44 View Post
LOL yeah were both crazy, but were both gona be better for it...thanks for your kind words and i wish you the best of luck as well in continuing to make such great progress....and by the way your starting smolov was definitley part of the inspiration that finally pushed me over the edge into a specialized PL workout, your squat has gone up like crazy.
no problem miker, glad I could be an inspiration!

warmup
Pull-up BW plus 15 x4 (80%) alternated with
Flat Bench 225x2 (roughly 80%) resting 1 minute between sets
6 sets of this.

My pattern is heavy bench, light pull-ups then 2 days later, light bench, heavy pull-ups. It is a gradually progression and peaking cycle for 6 weeks.

After the bench/pull-up portion of my workout, I decided to do a test of the assistance exercises in the Coan/Phillipi (from here on it is referred to as C/P) DL routine. I thought my hams would be strong because my deadlift is way higher than my squat and because I go below parralel on my squats....boy was I wrong.

The circuit of assistance exercises on the C/P DL routine is;
SLDL, Bent Row, Underhand Lat Pulldown, Good Morning 3 sets of 8, resting 90 seconds between exercises and 2 minutes after a set of the circuit.

Well, after some experimenting, I will likely do sets of;
SLDL 170, Bent Row 80 (ughhh!), Underhand Lat Pulldown 100, Good Morning 140.

I was reading about C/P and the advice was to keep the assistance exercises at a weight where you could keep perfect form and really feel it working in the target muscle. These sets are going to come after heavy deadlifting so I guess I won't mind them being on the light side.

However, I am irritated that I have DOMS in my hammies today. All I can think about is....will this effect my squat max test? Probably not, I have until Monday to rest, but never the less, I am irritated with myself for not having the patience to try out the C/P routine until AFTER my squat test.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
JLG should change his/her status!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post

I am irritated that I have DOMS in my hammies today. All I can think about is....will this effect my squat max test? Probably not, I have until Monday to rest, but never the less, I am irritated with myself for not having the patience to try out the C/P routine until AFTER my squat test.
Don't bust yourself up over this. As you said earlier, you have learned more in a year on ABC than in the previous 10 years. This is just another learning experience. Next time you will have better strength against impatience because of better experience. Chalk it up and move on - you are doing great IMO.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
Don't bust yourself up over this. As you said earlier, you have learned more in a year on ABC than in the previous 10 years. This is just another learning experience. Next time you will have better strength against impatience because of better experience. Chalk it up and move on - you are doing great IMO.
Thanks JLG for checking in! And yeah, I will try not to bust myself up, I'm sure I will recover. Squatting 4 times per week has got me used to recovering quick....but here is the thing, I don't get DOMS because the squatting isn't negative accentuated, I'm not going for a pump, I am not doing a stretch intensive exercise, etc. So doing the SLDL last night which of course heavily stretches the hams, lead to this DOMS. I have learned my lesson though and I will be more patient in the future.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

warmup
Pull-up BW plus 15 x2 (80%) alternated with
Flat Bench 225x5 (roughly 80%) resting 1 minute between sets
6 sets of this. (more like 90 seconds rest last 2 sets)

On final set of bench I paused the last rep just to always be contest ready.

Dips BW +10 x10 3 sets

Squat
120x4
170x3
220x2
270x2
290x1
313x1 New PR, beltless

Don't worry, I will get more. This wasn't my official test. Smolov actually calls for two max tests. I assumed one just slightly over and one attempting to smash it. Tuesday, my Father-in-law is going to spot me and I am going to go all out.

This was a real confidence booster, my previous best of 303 was with a belt. This was beltless and felt really good.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

I went to a power lifting contest today to watch my Father-in-law compete. He is 56 years old and competes raw. He squatted 380 which is an ADAU American Record for his age group and weight class, 181 lb. He benched 250 and deadlifted 460. Now I have some numbers to work on, I only have him beat in bench, need to catch up to his squat and DL!

It was a good time. I really enjoyed being there to support him.

A little 8 year old girl who probably weighed 60 lbs deadlifted 115lb! It was awesome, she also competed in the squat and bench. I can't remember her numbers but she was great fun to watch.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength