Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 AM
HardCory is working towards a lean 200
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 8

February 8, 2009

Breathless

READ: Psalm 8

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth. —Psalm 57:5

When was the last time something took your breath away because of its majesty?

I’m not talking about an electronic gadget or some special effects in a movie. I’m talking about a nighttime sky show such as an eclipse of the moon. Or walking outside on a starry night to see Orion or Pleiades—constellations mentioned thousands of years ago in Scripture (Amos 5:8) that are still glowing today for our enjoyment. I’m speaking of a bursting dawn that radiates with glorious colors to signal another sunrise. Or the sound and light show that accompanies God’s way of watering the earth with food-producing rain (Job 36:27-33).

Have you stood by a fence and marveled at the power of a horse as it gallops gallantly through the field, mane flowing and hoofs pounding? (39:19-25). Or watched a soaring, swooping eagle drop from the sky because his God-designed vision has sighted supper from his mountain-peak nest? (39:27-30).

At creation, God gave man breath. Then he took man’s breath away with the beauty, grandeur, and eloquence of a universe of marvels created by His own hand. Look around. Examine what God has done. Then, breathless, proclaim His majesty. — Dave Branon

The wonder of creation speaks
To everyone in different ways;
But those who know and love the Lord
Can for His handiwork give praise. —Sper

All creation is an outstretched finger pointing toward God.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 9

February 9, 2009

Something’s Wrong With Harry

READ: 1 Peter 2:9-17

A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance. —Proverbs 15:13

Every morning Harry, a Christian, walked into his office singing a song from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Oklahoma: “Oh, what a beautiful morning; oh, what a beautiful day! I got a beautiful feeling, everything’s going my way!”

But one morning, he forgot to sing. Harry soon noticed that something was wrong at the office; everyone around him seemed on edge. When he finally asked a co-worker what was wrong, she replied, “You didn’t sing this morning, and we thought you were upset!”

Harry had become known for such a cheerful, positive spirit that his co-workers were sure something was wrong with him that morning. Harry hadn’t realized how closely people were watching him, and he resolved from then on always to come to work singing.

First Peter 2 reminds us that people are observing our lives (vv.11-12). To be good representatives of Jesus Christ, Peter teaches that we’re to be submissive to authority, to live an honorable life, to do good works, to honor all people, and to fear God (vv.12-17).

The testimony of our lives can give us opportunities to share the good news of Jesus. So we might want to ask ourselves, “What do people see in me?” — Anne Cetas

Help me to sing a joyful song
For those bowed down with care,
A song of hope and freedom
For those in dark despair. —Andrews

Do others see Jesus in you?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

2 Corinthians 9:8 (New International Version)

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
February 8, 2009

Breathless

READ: Psalm 8

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth. —Psalm 57:5

When was the last time something took your breath away because of its majesty?

I’m not talking about an electronic gadget or some special effects in a movie. I’m talking about a nighttime sky show such as an eclipse of the moon. Or walking outside on a starry night to see Orion or Pleiades—constellations mentioned thousands of years ago in Scripture (Amos 5:8) that are still glowing today for our enjoyment. I’m speaking of a bursting dawn that radiates with glorious colors to signal another sunrise. Or the sound and light show that accompanies God’s way of watering the earth with food-producing rain (Job 36:27-33).

Have you stood by a fence and marveled at the power of a horse as it gallops gallantly through the field, mane flowing and hoofs pounding? (39:19-25). Or watched a soaring, swooping eagle drop from the sky because his God-designed vision has sighted supper from his mountain-peak nest? (39:27-30).

At creation, God gave man breath. Then he took man’s breath away with the beauty, grandeur, and eloquence of a universe of marvels created by His own hand. Look around. Examine what God has done. Then, breathless, proclaim His majesty. — Dave Branon

The wonder of creation speaks
To everyone in different ways;
But those who know and love the Lord
Can for His handiwork give praise. —Sper

All creation is an outstretched finger pointing toward God.
This devotion made me think of one of my favorite worship songs;
God of Wonders by Third Day. If you enjoyed that devotional, you'll enjoy this song.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
This devotion made me think of one of my favorite worship songs;
God of Wonders by Third Day. If you enjoyed that devotional, you'll enjoy this song.
I love Third Day, and thats a great song, I'm really into their Revelation song right now, it feels like my life right now, probably a lot of people's in the current state of this country, a lot of uncertainty.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Feb. 10

February 10, 2009

What’s For Dinner?

READ: Genesis 22:1-12

It came to pass . . . that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” —Genesis 22:1

I can hardly imagine inviting special friends over for dinner and then throwing a few leftovers into the microwave to serve up to them. But if I were to do that, it would speak volumes about how I really feel about them.

Giving God the leftovers of our lives speaks volumes about His true worth to us. When God asked Abraham to give Isaac back to Him as an act of worship, Genesis 22:1 calls it a test. A test to see if there was anything in his life that he treasured more than God.

It’s no different for us. There are times when God requires something really important to get His work done. He’ll ask us to give up our natural instincts to seek revenge so that we can communicate His forgiving love by forgiving our enemies. He may call us to sacrifice portions of our time or money or comforts to advance His cause. Or He may require us to allow our sons and daughters to go to a far-off land to tell others about His saving love. The way we respond to what He requires says volumes about how we really feel about Him.

Anyone can offer the leftovers. Only those who love God more than anything else will serve up the very best for Him. — Joe Stowell

“Take up thy cross and follow Me,”
I hear the blessed Savior call;
How can I make a lesser sacrifice
When Jesus gave His all? —Ackley

No sacrifice we make is too great for the One who sacrificed His all.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
alang is hating tendonitis!!!
Rookie

Third Day video & song were very cool. Thanks.

Sacrifice - giving up my life - possible, one of my children - very tough!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've read that story many times, but sometimes certain verses hit you harder than at other times
As a father, I can only imagine what that would have been like, great devotional.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I think we want to always put Christ first, one of the ways we do that is to come to an understanding. We don't own our children, or any other thing for that matter. When we are willing to acknowledge this, then God sees us giving total submission to him. This is what the world lacks, but we as Christians should be willing to give anything.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone listen to K-LOVE here?