Commanding My Body - Page 14 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Albertog is OK
Lightweight

Nice vid man! Gotta love the kids! Congrats and let us see how the Smolov works for you!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Thanks Albertog, hope to hit the next Smolov workout tomorrow. I am coming off working a midnight shift and now I work 8:30-4:30....tired!

Debating what to do in addition to Smolov (since that only covers the lower body)....and I thought....more Smolov, ha, ha! I am twisted.

There is a Smolov Jr. which is no where near as intimidating as the regular Smolov program.
I am going to implement Smolov Jr. for my bench and chin-ups. The cycle should only last 3-4 weeks.

http://wkak.net/SmolovFAQ.htm

GOALS:
1) Increase Squat to 350 lb with Smolov by mid-April

2) Deadlift 400x5, Squat 310x5 by June 2009

3) Increase Bench to 330 lb by Sept 2009

4) 1000 pounds x 5 (example; Bench 280, DL 410, Squat 310 each for 5 reps) by 12/31/09

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 01-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

(a) congrats on the competition- getting the first one under your belt is always important

(b) your son is the man

(c) good luck with all of your goals, i like the way smolov jr workout looks. how are you going to set your split up so that you can bench four times a week?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker44 View Post
(a) congrats on the competition- getting the first one under your belt is always important

(b) your son is the man

(c) good luck with all of your goals, i like the way smolov jr workout looks. how are you going to set your split up so that you can bench four times a week?
a) thanks! I definitely feel I would be less nervous and more focused if I do another.

b) don't I know it! I am totally blessed, I don't know who could watch that video and not want to have a little boy (that will someday grow up into my training partner!)

c) Split? Ha, no split here. Everything is going to have to fit in around Smolov. I will be squating 3 to 4 times per week, so I figured if I bench/chin-up 4 times per week as well I would mash it all together.

All of my workouts will be warmup, Squat, Bench, Chin-up, Squat, Bench, Chin-up, etc, etc.

The bench and chin-up in Smolov Jr are straight sets, so that is easy to do. I won't have to worry about changing any weights around. So when I finish a Squat set I will rest just enough time to catch my breath and set up on the bench, hopefully around 30 seconds, then do my bench set taking about 30 seconds on that. Rest another 30 seconds, do my Chin-ups which should take about 30 seconds, rest 1 minute, change weights and do my next Squat. Total of 3 minutes between squat sets.

Alternative, on the lighter weight bench/chin-up days, I could squeeze two benches in between squat sets and later do two chin-up sets between squats to get more of a hypertrophy effect from the shortened rest period.

I probably won't be using other exercises during the time when I am doing both Smolov Jr and Smolov, but that will only be for about 4 weeks.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 01-13-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
miker44 is pumped
Light-Heavyweight

I probably won't be using other exercises during the time when I am doing both Smolov Jr and Smolov, but that will only be for about 4 weeks.

Thats more so what I was referring to. I like the idea of taking time to train specific lifts. Besides, gaining strength on the squat bench and chinup will be more than suffice.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

January 14, 2009 - First Official Smolov Day
(sunday was just an experiment)

Template for this workout:
After squating, I would rest 30 seconds, do my bench set, rest 30 seconds, do my 2nd bench set, rest 1 minute and squat. Therefore, I had about 3 minutes of rest between squat sets. The squat sets were harder than sunday by a slight margin because I was definitely putting more stress on my cardiovascular system by adding in two sets between squats.....I loved it!

warmup
Squat 195x8 (65% of 1 rep max)
DB Bench 67x6 (2 sets) (70%)
Squat 195x8
DB Bench 67x6 (2 sets)
Squat 195x8
DB Bench 67x6 (2 sets)
Squat 210x5
Reverse Grip Pull Downs 108x6 (2 sets) [I know these look light, maybe it's my lat pull down machine, honestly, I was working!]
Squat 220x2
Reverse Grip Pull Downs 108x6 (2 sets)
Squat 220x2
Reverse Grip Pull Downs 108x6 (2 sets)
Squat 240x1

Finished with plyometrics (yes, it is recommended)

Stretching - I am starting to have a revelation. My knees have not been sore AT ALL after both Sunday and yesterday's squat routine. And I put up a new max on Sunday. I think it is because I am finally taking stretching seriously. I did 30 second stretches for each quad, my groin, each hamstring, calves and each glute. I know it seems like commen sense, but I have neglected stretching for so long and paid for it with sore knees. The thing was, I knew it wasn't my form, those of you who watched my bench and deadlift technique video (not the powerlifting video) know my form is solid (I have had some good teachers along the journey). So I questioned why my young knees were hurting....well, duh, I wasn't stretching!

Here is the schedule for week one (remember it is written in Russian format, 8x3 means 3 sets of 8):
Day 1: 65%x8x3, 70%x5, 75%x2x2, 80%x1
Day 2: 65%x8x3, 70%x5, 75%x2x2, 80%x1
Day 3: 70%x5x4, 75%x3, 80%x2x2, 90%x1

Followed by 3 sets of 8 of lunges on day 4,5,6 to stretch the thighs.

Taken from.....
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resou...squatcycle.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker44 View Post
Thats more so what I was referring to. I like the idea of taking time to train specific lifts. Besides, gaining strength on the squat bench and chinup will be more than suffice.
It sufficed...I was spent.

Last edited by Commander; 01-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Bodyweight in the morning: 189 lb

Temperature of my gym when I started my workout: 46 degrees F
...when I finished: 49 F ....oh yeah, I'm giving off the heat, lol!

SMOLOV Day 2: January 15, 2009
Squat 195x8 (65% of 1 rep max)
Squat 195x8
Squat 195x8
Squat 210x5
Squat 220x2
Squat 220x2
Squat 240x1 (80%)
Deadlift 120x3
208x3
258x2
321x1
346x1
366x1
386x1 (90% of 1 rep max)

Plyometrics, Stretching

Deadlift isn't a part of Smolov (too much lower back work when squating 3 or 4 times per week), but I am going to work up to 90% or so about once per week, maybe less often if needed due to fatigue. I want to do this to mentally know I am keeping my deadlift strength while not working the lift.

EDIT:

Diet; Fat 114, Carbs 375, Protein 235, Leucine 35g (from diet and free form)

I haven't fully implemented some of the changes I mentioned a week or two ago in a post. But I have added more BCAA and cut out a few calories. However, if I get too hungry from squating 3 to 4 times per week, I may need to add back in some calories.

Last edited by Commander; 01-16-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

13 weeks of frikken pain! I have heard great things about smolov many people add 50 pounds to their squats. It takes a lot of discipline though and the ability to not lose your mind from squatting so much. I am sure your quads/hips/hammies and everything else will grow tho. You will need new pants when you are done.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
13 weeks of frikken pain! I have heard great things about smolov many people add 50 pounds to their squats. It takes a lot of discipline though and the ability to not lose your mind from squatting so much. I am sure your quads/hips/hammies and everything else will grow tho. You will need new pants when you are done.
Heck yeah! I'm lovin' it already in a very sick way. I hope to need new pants

Gym temp: 46 F (I really focus on WARM ups)

Smolov Day 3: January 16, 2009

DB Bench 72x5 (75%)
Chinup BWx5 (75%)
Squat 210x5 (70%)
repeat DB Bench, Chinup sets
Squat 210x5
Squat 210x5
Squat 210x5
Squat 225x3
Squat 240x2
repeat DB Bench, Chinup sets (7th and final sets)
Squat 240x2
Squat 270x1 (90%)

Plyometrics, Stretching, planks for abs

musical motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjRHx7BJwI8

Today was a little tough on the legs, as it was the 3rd day in a row of squating, plus I had lots of sets in between squats which effect how much air I'm sucking when I start squating. The DB Bench and Chins both felt real good. I averaged about 2.5 to 3 minutes between squat sets.

I should mention that I got a belt for Christmas. But I don't plan on using it unless I am going over 90%. I will try to remember to mark beside my lifts if I use a belt. I didn't use a belt on yesterday's Deadlift or today's Squat because they were at 90% and not above it.

For anyone just logging in, I am trying to do Smolov Jr. for my Bench and Chin-ups. It is a grueling thing to add into Smolov for Squats, but I am feeling crazy right now.

Well, I am off to Princeton NJ for three days. I have no squats scheduled for the next three days. Smolov calls for lunges with bodyweight, easy enough to do in a hotel room. See you guys Tuesday.

Last edited by Commander; 01-17-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Smolov Day 4
Bodyweight Lunges 3 sets of 8
Smolov Day 5
Bodyweight Bulgarian Lunges 3 sets of 8
Smolov Day 6 (1/19)
Bodyweight Lunges 3 sets of 8

Monday January 19, 2009

DB Bench 77x4
Chinups BW + 12 x4

I did eight sets of each of those, resting 1 minute between sets.

musical motivation - Fear Factory....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnmOq5NlMzQ

Last edited by Commander; 01-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength