Help with cardio - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
rahaas is aka Rob
Stranger

I agree with all of the above. Never said Cardio was bad, just for me it is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanThaMan View Post
I just recently started lifting weights again and it feels good. I tried to start back on some cardio as well but the usual cardio technique, running, just is not working for me. I am 6'4 and about 270 lbs right now, and I would have to say my fighting weight would be around 200. So when I run my lower back hurts alottttt, and I would assume it is because I am hauling around so much extra weight. So my question is, where should I start on my cardio? What are some other effective cardio techniques that would help me get in shape while not putting so much stress on my back?
Any help would be greatly appreciated with this!
Why not just lift weights and track your diet keeping a calorie deficit until you lose enough weight to do cardio if you must?
You'll be strengthening your core as well as overall body dropping body fat.

For the life of me I can't fathom the reasoning when I see the same fat people running on treadmills day in and day out in the gym not dropping a single pound...at least they have a strong heart...

Last edited by rahaas; 12-21-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

I think there are multiple reasons why those people are not getting good results. But we should not discount cardio just because it is not working for them.

You don't have to do insane amounts of cardio. But IMO, you are missing out on a lot of benefits if you exclude it. Just 3 hard-core sessions a week can give you a lot of added benefits such as improved vascularity, increased fat transporters and glut-4s, etc. In addition, as long as your nutrition is solid, it actually can stimulate significant hypertrophy, if you do interval training. All you need to do is look at a sprinters body to see my point.

Thus, my opinion is: you need to do all 3 - diet, weights, and cardio - if you want optimal results. And of course a bunch of other factors, but those are the 3 main points in this discussion.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Last edited by Venom; 12-21-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Jawesome19 is the hulk
Rookie

Are you interested in boxing at all? Or kick-boxing/MMA? I have been an avid boxer for over 3 years now and I can honestly say it provides an INTENSE work-out. I can out run most athletes I know and I hardly "run" at all. I will run 3-4 miles 2 or 3 times a week, but I box usually 3-4 nights a week as well for around 2 hours. If you get into a boxing program, or even just a cardio boxing class you will see great results. GUARENTEED. Combining boxing, weight training, running, and diet and you will be at 200 lbs before you can say KNOCK OUT.

This may not be exactly EASIER on your back, but it will provide a great cardio routine while also working on a lot of different muscle groups, especially strengthening your upper and lower back, core, legs and arms; not to mention balance and flexibility. The great thing about boxing is you can usually take it at your own pace. Get a trainer/instructor that you like and inform him of your situation, most people are excited to have new people and will be more than happy to work with you. I know I love showing new guys the ropes, it is tons of fun and a GREAT work out.

Best of luck to you
Old 12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Welcome, Jawesome! Nice post.

You know I have adopted something similar - I now do upper body "HIIT" workouts, mostly with weights, because I feel this gives me conditioning benefits for the upper body, similar to sprints do for the lower body. Again, I post this in my journal if anyone is interested. But back to you, I think combining MMA would be a great method for extra fat metabolism and conditioning.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Tags
cardio