My summary of latest on Protein Metabolism - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Default My summary of latest on Protein Metabolism

Solid article on protein metabolism was just released so I summarized its main points and added my commentary below!

Excellent Review on Protein Metabolism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Figures to refer to are below

Key points
In normal individuals following feeding there is an increase in protein synthesis / breakdown thats countered by a decrease in PS in the fasted state, overall there is no change in muscle mass. With resistance exercise which raises PS for up to 24 hours, there is net muscle tissue accretion (figure 1)

Effects of training
The unique element of resistance exercise is that unlike a meal skeletal muscle protein synthesis can be elevated for 24-72 hours. This suggests an “anabolic window” of opportunity in which any given bolus ingestion of amino acids during this time period should be preferentially used, or at least used at a higher rate by muscle. And data support this notion as ingestion of a protein source 24 hours after exercise increases muscle protein synthesis more than without the exercise stimulus.

Effects of training status
Now here are some interesting concepts. Basically training changes the way exercise effects protein turnover (figure 3).
1. Trained vs. untrained on the post exercise general muscle protein synthetic response
In this case an untrained individual can have an increase in protein synthesis for up to 48 hours. In contrast trained individuals have a greater increase in protein synthesis for the first 4 hours following exercise, but this declines to basal levels by 16 hours.
Of course my question is why is this the case, and anyone’s thoughts here would be great! My thoughts are that it may not simply be a factor of training status in and of itself that is changing our muscle tissues response in MPS to exercise, but rather the indirect effects of the ability of the muscle to resist damage. In other words for someone untrained any given stimulus is going to be enough to cause tremendous structural damage to the muscle and therefore elicit the need for greater more long term changes in protein balance to repair and remodel the damaged tissue. In contrast for any given stimulus in trained athletes the damage will be less and the need for remodeling and repair less. If true(and I think evidence supports this position) then it simply indicates the need for higher intensities and volume with training. But it also to me indicates the need again for more of a hypoxic stimulus, because again with training mechanical stimuli seem to lose there capacity turn on MPS, at least past 16 post training.

2. In untrained individuals there seems to be a general increase in all muscle proteins in response to both resistance exercise and aerobic exercise. In contrast in trained individuals after resistance exercise there is a preferential increase in muscle contractile proteins, while in endurance there is a preferential increase in mitochondrial based proteins.
I again suggest that what this indicates is that in those who are untrained, it is likely that both endurance and resistance exercise provide enough of a stimulus to both contractile and mitochondrial subfractions of protein to elicit an increase in PS in both of them. While in trained the need for higher order specific stimuli are needed to trigger these responses in each subfraction

Dose response of protein synthesis following exercise
I remember Gabe,Layne, and I watched Phillips present this data at ISSN. Basically they found that consuming 0, 5, 10, 20 or 40 grams of whey protein increase muscle protein synthesis in a dose dependent fashion up to 20 grams, but plataued thereafter, with a large increase in their oxidation thereafter. From this the authors suggested that 8-10 grams of essential amino acids(which is what the whey contained) or 20 grams of whey is sufficient and any more protein than this is a waste and willjust be oxidized or used as energy.

I recall during the presentation Layne, Gabe and I said this is faulty because it looks at one variable, protein synthesis. Layne raised his hand and stated
“ The problem with this data is that it assumes that amino acids prior to their oxidation are only used as substrate or to stimulate protein synthesis, in actuality they have many other signaling effects and may be converted to anabolic substances such as HMB which have secondary effects”

I agree with Layne. For example, take Leucine. Its effects on protein breakdown which was not reportd are maximized at at least double the amounts needed to maximize protein synthesis.
This is the problem also with looking at one variable to determine the effectiveness of any given dose of amino acids.

Protein source
As we are aware protein source effects growth. Their data for example showed that milk protein stimulated more growth than soy. Moreover their recent data demonstrates that whey stimulates greater protein synthesis than soy or casein,
This is excellent data, but we need to see a more complete picture by analyzing what occurs with protein breakdown in muscle.

Protein Timing
As we are well aware there is enough data to support the notion for immediate consumption of amino acids both immediately before and after exercise. Nothing new here

Insulin in the regulation of protein metabolism

Insulin has always had a controversial role in how it regulates protein metabolism, but the authors rightly point out the current consensus which is that insulin stimulates protein synthesis via its effects on PI3K signaling and inhibits protein breakdown, specifically via the Ubiquitin pathway(Ill discuss these in a bit).
I would point out also that insulins effects on protein synthesis are dependent on its capacity to increase blood flow by increasing nitric oxide production in the capillaries. This is one of the reasons why those who are insulin resistant may impair muscle growth, as they have poorer amino acid delivery to their muscle tissue following carbohydrate protein ingestion

Insulin after resistance exercise

Data suggest that when carbohydrates are administered alone after exercise, protein balance is improved by decreasing protein breakdown, but protein synthesis is not effected, overall the individual stays in negative protein balance or reaches zero protein balance. Now, what is most likely occurring is that by inhibiting protein breakdown, you actually inhibit available substrate needed to increase protein synthesis following training, which is why amino acids must be combined with insulin or carbohydrates.

Effects of aerobic exercise on muscle protein synthesis
Essentially moderately high endurance exercise (75% v02 max for 40 minutes) stimulates increases in mitochondrial, but not myofibrillar(contractile) protein synthesis

Cell signaling responses to resistance exercise and feeding

The authors point out that the pathways by which exercise and amino acids stimulate protein synthesis are converging . While I wont go into detail here, they point out that exercise activates PI3K-AKT-mTOR signaling to increase protein synthesis. What is not clear however is the time points for each response following training. For example recent data shows that mTOR signaling is back to normal 6 hours after training, while its downstream targets P70s6K are still elevated.

Intriguingly my lab at FSU is getting ready to elucidate a more detailed response of these pathways. To resistance exercise and link them to the exact protein expression as well.
I also want to point out that cell signaling is a real tricky subject as it does not always indicate changes in protein turnover. In Gabe and Laynes lab they are demonstrating this by showing that signaling proteins may be turned on while protein synthesis is not at particular time points

Effects of training status
10 weeks of training has been shown to heighten the sensitivity of anabolic signaling pathways to exercise such that they increase in activation more than in untrained individuals. What is not known is what happenes in highly trained individuals, but I suspect that there is less activation of signaling pathways in people highly trained to any given stimulus since as suggested protein synthesis is also lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (31.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Slide2.JPG (24.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Slide3.JPG (26.0 KB, 2 views)

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Cell signaling in response to endurance exercise

Endurance exercise activates a negative regulator of contractile protein synthesis. This is known as AMP activated protein kinase. What is interesting though is that this kinase actually stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis or production. Thus, endurance exercise provides a mechanism via AMPK whereby it can suppress increases in muscle growth, while simotaneously increasing aerobic capacity( mitochondria).
We as bodybuilders simply need to understand the implications of this. Clearly aerobic exercise can mediate fat loss via increased mitochondrial density, but by activating AMPK it attenuates gains in the gym in musculature. I am researching this subject now and will be writing on it in JHR in the up and coming year.

Feeding and cell signaling
Wont go into to much detail here, but it essentially points out the fact that both insulin and amino acids activate protein synthesis through mTOR, but through different mediators, thus in order to maximize protein synthesis you need an optimal combination of carbs and amino acids.
I would also add that this differs from resistance and cardio. With cardio for example protein synthesis is turned off or lowered via AMPK. In this instance extracellular Leucine levels become that much more critical to try and at least counter the effects of cardio, because cardio also depletes extracellular Leucine levels.

Sex differences

In a fasted state – No appreciable differences exist
During cardio – women rely less on protein for substate then men, so it may not be as catabolic for them
Resistance exercise – not a lot of data on acute changes in protein balance to resistance exercise.
Let me add my insights here though. The professor I work with, Dr. Jeong-su Kim has done extensive work on both genetic and gender differences between individuals. Chronic resistance training studies clearly demonstrate that women demonstrate less hypertrophy then men. Why is this the case?

1. Muscle growth is a factor of two elements. The first is an expansion of the muscle cell without the addition of new nuclei. This process is probably similar between men and women
2. After you grow to a certain point you cannot grow any further without activating satellite cells and adding new nuclei to support further protein synthesis. This is what lacks in capacity in females relative to males and explains differences in growth, and is probably mediated by greater anabolic hormone and local growth factor environment in men than women

Overall shortcomings In the literature – changes in protein breakdown following exercise. But Gabe andLayne will tackle this!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
J4ke is shreddin' da iron jungle

So instead of chugging my PWO shake, I should slowly drink it or use one scoop of whey (24g) vs 2 scoops (48g)?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ke View Post
So instead of chugging my PWO shake, I should slowly drink it or use one scoop of whey (24g) vs 2 scoops (48g)?
I think it best to chug it, you'll get a more rapid spike. In terms of optimal amount, with whey its closer to 27-33 grams according to the leucine content. I know their study indicated 20 grams, but like I said, they only measured one variable when there are so many others to analyze

I dont really like the slow drinking because it may cause you to go refractory

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

excellent job Jacob...posts like this...another reason why i love ABC

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
With cardio for example protein synthesis is turned off or lowered via AMPK. In this instance extracellular Leucine levels become that much more critical to try and at least counter the effects of cardio, because cardio also depletes extracellular Leucine levels.
taking this into consideration, would you recommend doing cardio on separate days than lifting or instead doing cardio in an AM session, followed by lifting in a pm session? My thinking here is that PS would only be lowered for 4-6 hours since it would be elevated again during the second session.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo Ab Chao View Post
taking this into consideration, would you recommend doing cardio on separate days than lifting or instead doing cardio in an AM session, followed by lifting in a pm session? My thinking here is that PS would only be lowered for 4-6 hours since it would be elevated again during the second session.
in my opinion this is another strong reason for two a day sessions
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

AMP activated protein kinase. My question in lamen terms is what does the AMP(K) stnad for? thanks.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo Ab Chao View Post
Great points. Basically what we know from studies on concurrent training is that the effects appear to be specific to the muscle groups trained. So if you were to do say cardio for the lower body it may not effect the upper body. Probably because negative regulators of protein synthesis are generally upregulated in the trained muscle groups.

Now if we are dealing with legs then yes, seperating the sessions would be ideal. For strength purposes there appears to be little interference when cardio is performed the next day, but if you are doing legs at night, while protein synthesis may be back up, it is possible that the residual fatigue such as glycogen depletion from the morning session could impair performance at night. So if cardio is done on the same day, the reccomendation would be to do lower intensity, less glycogen depleting training.

Its tricky stuff, but I like your thinking!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickck48 View Post
AMP activated protein kinase. My question in lamen terms is what does the AMP(K) stnad for? thanks.
AMPK stands for adenosine monophosphate activated protein kinase

Basically it is the cells fuel guage. Our main source of fuel is ATP. When a phosphate group is broken off energy is released and ADP (two phosphates, hence di) is formed.

Now with decreasing energy, ADP is also broken down to AMP ( 1 phosphate, hence mono). Now clearly increasing AMP levels indicate a lower energetic state of the cell, and so AMPK is activated with increasing AMP levels. AMPK then turns off energy consuming pathways like protein synthesis to conserve energy in the cell!