Commanding My Body - Page 5 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

I am sure you can use a belt. Just make sure it is no more than 4 inches thick (top to bottom) because most feds dont allow any bigger. It is good to see you dont use a belt yet your core will thank you. I didnt use a belt until a few years ago. I started with a crappy nike belt and now I use a lever belt which is great because it is easy to get on. A belt will help you lift a few more lbs but I use it mostly for spine protection. I strained by low back 3x doing deadlifts. That is why I started using a belt.

On the diet yeah mine as well up the calories so you can be a real 198lber. It should help your squat and bench. Not neccessarily the deadlift. From my experience my deadlift suffered from weight gain but my bench and squat got better. I Deadlifted 545 at 181 and now I am 190 down from 196 and I haven't gotten any better at deads.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbilt View Post
I am sure you can use a belt. Just make sure it is no more than 4 inches thick (top to bottom) because most feds dont allow any bigger. It is good to see you dont use a belt yet your core will thank you. I didnt use a belt until a few years ago. I started with a crappy nike belt and now I use a lever belt which is great because it is easy to get on. A belt will help you lift a few more lbs but I use it mostly for spine protection. I strained by low back 3x doing deadlifts. That is why I started using a belt.

On the diet yeah mine as well up the calories so you can be a real 198lber. It should help your squat and bench. Not neccessarily the deadlift. From my experience my deadlift suffered from weight gain but my bench and squat got better. I Deadlifted 545 at 181 and now I am 190 down from 196 and I haven't gotten any better at deads.
Thanks for all your responses and help superbilt. I appreciate it greatly. Hope your lower back is feeling healthy now!

Wow, 545 at 181! That is awesome, you must be one of the strongest members on this site pound for pound! Any other advice on my contest prep?

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I will have to make some adjustments to my split. As my lifts get closer and closer to my TRUE 5 rep max, it gets more taxing. Plus, I think the 3 heavy sets of squats are fatigueing my lower back prior to the deadlifts. I will also add a third workout to give myself several more days of recovery before repeating a workout.

Old split (based on Rippetoe):

Workout “A”
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout “B”
Squat 3x10
Military Press 3x5
Pendlay Row 3x5

New Split:

“A”
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Assistance Work (rack pulls, rack bench, etc)

“B”
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Pendlay Row 3x5

“C” - Active Recovery Day
I don’t have any exact plan for this day, but that may be beneficial, this day may become more instinct-oriented where my “A” and “B” days are about strict progression and besting my personal records.
I will use a rep range of 10-20 to encourage a mix of hypertrophy and also recovery from the low rep workouts.
I will likely do a combination of exercises like the ones in my corrective complex (several posts above) but heavier than I do them during the complex.
I may try to throw in my 3 sets of 10 rep Squats (from “B” in the old split) because I really enjoyed them!

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights

Last edited by Commander; 11-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I was not expecting this.....ALL personal bests after being sick for the last week!

Squat 245 3x5
Bench 230 3x5 (last rep paused)
Deadlift 381 1x5 (hold last rep)

Decline Leg Raise BWx12,10,8
Dips BW + 45 1x8

Musical motivation: Soul Fly

Edit: this is my last workout before starting the new split.

I put a milk crate under me for squats to make sure I was getting proper depth, I was so it's all good.

Last edited by Commander; 11-28-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I was not expecting this.....ALL personal bests after being sick for the last week!

Squat 245 3x5
Bench 230 3x5 (last rep paused)
Deadlift 381 1x5 (hold last rep)

Decline Leg Raise BWx12,10,8
Dips BW + 45 1x8

Musical motivation: Soul Fly

Edit: this is my last workout before starting the new split.

I put a milk crate under me for squats to make sure I was getting proper depth, I was so it's all good.
don't you just love pausing reps....after you get it up, it's such a satisfaction of PURE STRENGTH...the way i see it, anybody can move something already moving...move something that's standing still...now that's strength

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity
Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
don't you just love pausing reps....after you get it up, it's such a satisfaction of PURE STRENGTH...the way i see it, anybody can move something already moving...move something that's standing still...now that's strength
I do now, I didn't know the satisfaction of pausing until recently though. I used to do even my deadlifts with continuous tension. Now I have 3 exercises in my current regime that have pauses; Pendlay row, Deadlift, and Bench.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

New Split:

Squat 250 3x5 (personal best)
Military Press 152.5 2x5, 1x3
Pendlay Row 200 3x5

Standing Ab Pulldown 40 3x15
Chin up BW + 5 1x8

I will put Military Press first in order next time and give it another try despite missing two reps. The Pendlay involved some body english so as the Rippetoe program suggests, I will now go back 10%. I used body english on 195 so I am actually going to go back to 175. Still felt awesome though, since my old 1 rep max was 200lb in August for the Pendlay row!

Musical motivation: Rancid's first album

Busy day, set up my house with Christmas decorations. It involved lots of going up and down steps with box upon box. My house looks great now and my children had a great time helping out. I love the Christmas season. I am still nursing a cold but was able to sleep in today and hopefully I will sleep in tomorrow as well.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I modified my complex (more accurately called a circuit) a little. This really felt great. Point was to acitivate muscles that don't always get hit properly and just get the heart rate going.

Overhead Squats 20lb - 10 reps (wow...these were tough!)

Swiss Ball Step Offs – 20 reps

1 Arm Military 22lb DB Press – 10 each side

Single leg split squat – 10 each leg

Step-ups (driving the non-working leg up) holding DB's – 10 each leg

Face Pull/External Rotation – 20 lb cable, 10 reps

T-Push ups – 5 each side

2 point - 1 Arm 32lb DB Row - 10 each side (hit core, because I was not supporting my torso)

Plate Out Front Squat, 25lb – 10 reps

Reverse Hypers – 10 reps

Swiss Ball Step Offs – 10 reps

Lunge off 6” block (holding DB's)– 10 reps

Box Squats 70lb – 10 reps

Floor Press 70lb – 15 reps

Single Leg Deadlifts (holding DB's)– 10 each leg

Face Pull/External Rotation – 20 lb cable, 10 reps

Romanian Deadlifts 70lb - 10 reps

Deadlift shrugs 70lb - 10 reps (shrugs in a 1/2 completed deadlift position)

I do the circuit with no rest.

Last edited by Commander; 12-03-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
superbilt is getting stronger than ever
Super-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Thanks for all your responses and help superbilt. I appreciate it greatly. Hope your lower back is feeling healthy now!

Wow, 545 at 181! That is awesome, you must be one of the strongest members on this site pound for pound! Any other advice on my contest prep?

Thanks. Right now I am around 188 and I haven't tested my dl in awhile. Right now I have a new plan for my deadlift and I believe it will be successful. I need to get my technnique back. Also, the dl is an emotional lift. If I get angry and focused but not too crazy I pull good. If I am not fired up enough I wont even get it off the floor assuming it is 90% or more.

As for contest prep when is your contest? Since it looks like you are doing full body split I would keep training up until 7-10 days out. Then work up to an opener on each of those lifts. Then may be 5 days out you might want to work up to 60-70% of your max for 2-3 reps just to get the groove right. Then after that rest. And make sure after you weigh in eat and hydrate. I dont know if you are weighing in the night before or the morning of but either way try to bloat yourself it will help on the squat and bench. If you have any videos of your lifts post them and maybe I can give you some form advice.
Once I stick to the program I am going to get really strong.
NO LIMITS!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ironbilt727
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, the dl is an emotional lift. If I get angry and focused but not too crazy I pull good. If I am not fired up enough I wont even get it off the floor assuming it is 90% or more.
Cool, will keep this in mind

Quote:
As for contest prep when is your contest? Since it looks like you are doing full body split I would keep training up until 7-10 days out. Then work up to an opener on each of those lifts.
That's what my father-in-law told me to do.

Quote:
Then may be 5 days out you might want to work up to 60-70% of your max for 2-3 reps just to get the groove right. Then after that rest.
This was not in my plan, makes sense though, I will most likely incorporate it.

Quote:
And make sure after you weigh in eat and hydrate. If you have any videos of your lifts post them and maybe I can give you some form advice.
Will definitely eat and hydrate after weigh in. I am working on figuring out the youtube thing, it is all new to me. I will try to get videos posted in the next week or so.

Tags
christian thibaudeau, hfs, smolov, starting strength