I Want to be Happier - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM
spider-man is BACK!!!!!!!! wait.... where'd i go?
Light-Heavyweight

i think journals are invaluable. I know mine, i write down every days something good that has happened to me. Even stuff like, 'i got to work safely, car didn't break down, lunch was delicious, i get to go to school,' ect. Simple things like that. After a short while, everything turns into something good.

With people that just get under my skin, i try to do something nice for them. Like go outta my way for them. Even if they don't appreciate me, i will have a new found respect for them.

I don't necessarily think anger will increase testosterone levels, but i understand you klosey. I think its more of an aggression thing, than an anger thing.

Being extremely aggressive from time to time is a big stress releiver. Makes me feel tons better, and keeps me sane
Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Aye, I have to agree about the cathartic nature of aggression at times. Sometimes it just makes you feel a lot better to get into the gym and pound the weights a bit, and maybe get in a good run or even some time on the punching bag. This is one reason I miss a prior appartment gym that had some good punching bags, always good to have one close at hand

But also, I do keep a couple of journals for various things, and it does help a lot. The largest is that it lets you take the thoughts from your day and put them somewhere that you may look at them, understand what has happened better, and find your opinion/view on them. From there you can act on the days events, or feel more comfortable putting them away. Recognizing the good, fixing the bad. It's all good stuff.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Jinxplayer is "Dips, the white, white meat"
Bantamweight

For a long time in my life, i was miserable. Sports nor faith nor anything could save me from the feeling i had about the world around me.

Then, finally at bottom again, i was convinced to start seeing a therapist again. As i have done this many times in my short life, i had no problem talking to someone. This time, they put me on some medication. I used to never want to take meds because i dont like putting synthetic stuff in my body; just doesnt sound right to me.

But this time i did it, and for someone who has depression that runs in his family, im feeling the best i have ever felt right now, thanks to one silly little pill.

Its important to understand why you feel bad and to objectively look at that, which im sure the journals help a lot. Realize, that you probably wont feel incrementally better and better, but a "Eureka!" moment happens, and you realize that thinks look differently when you change the way you look at things (Max Plankt quote btw ), and i feel that is so true.

So gl in your endevors,
Ryan
Old 10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
seyffer is changing his status...

I know this is an older thread. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

Life is hard.

No matter who you are, what are you doing, what your circumstances, life is hard. Don't ever forget that, but don't dwell on it either.

Think of when you were in school, the teacher would ask a question, you don't know the answer to, but somehow they would always call on you. That's thought projection, that's life.

I have found, through everything, my experiences, my studies, my everyday life, that looking at the patterns that present themselves everyday hold value. Sometimes small, sometimes large, they are meaningful. Whether you take a scientific approach, or a religious approach, or both for that matter, the idea is the same.

With that being said, if you wake up everyday, with the feeling of assertion and confidence, you will never feel unprepared. Never thinking you "don't know the answer," or, "I hope this doesn't happen." This will only lead you to problems.

The idea is so simple yet hard to truly apply.

Think positive. Always. Look at the negatives, but don't let them consume you. They are like a sickness, they will overwhelm you. If your mind is not prepared to deal with them, like a virus in a weak immune system, they will wreak havoc. Truly dwelling on a negative situation, you will often find that situation staring you in the face. Instead of thinking about how it will destroy you, only think about how you can overcome it, with thoughtful action.

Of course, that's more easily said then done. Especially when you are always bombarded with issues. You always feel under the weight of problems that never seem to end. You keep thinking that if you keep a positive attitude they will stop, but they wont.

Now you have to look at the bigger issue.

Where are you? Why are you in this place? What about your current situation affects you, or perhaps can be related to these problems? Look outside yourself for a day. Look at what you say and do, and how it reflects on you either physically, emotionally, situationally. Look at your personal patterns. Self analysis is key!

I used to be miserable. Always sad, depressed, reclusive. I thought the world was my problem. The problem was me, not dealing with me, but dwelling on problems outside my control.

You can find massive amounts of philosophy, scripture, psychology, new age philosophy and psychology, even quantum science that all play into these ideas.

I have read the bible (large portions anyway), I have read Lao Tzu, I have read buddhist philosophy, Zen, modern psychology, you name it.

All I can say in closing this thought (sorry it's so long) is this:

Stay awake, aware and ALWAYS positive. Keep an open attitude, always looking and seeing, there are lessons everywhere. Take what you can from EVERY situation and think about how it applies to every facet of your life. Look at both your inner and outer self. In every situation analyze the role YOU play in it. Don't rely on others to make you happy. Don't take anything for granted. Always do what you can for others, regardless of their opinion of you. Surround yourself with positive influences. Remove the negative. Always keep a light heart, the pressures of life always will want to weigh you down.

I hope I haven't rambled too much...

All I can say is that integrating these philosophies into my everyday life has worked wonders for myself and my current place in life.

Good luck to anyone who reads this, I hope it has struck a note in some way or another...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Rizzen should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Appreciate

Praise God for this thread.

Psychology and mental health has been an extremely difficult subject for me to deal with and understand - in fact a scary subject to dealve into.

I have spent hours and hours trying to understand depression, schizophrenia, and other mental disorders trying to understand to help others, and self diagnose or help myself to over come mental health problems.

I have seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" and it paints a scary picture of a life with mental health disorder.

A physical injury or sickness is very easy for me to see or identify, and the symptoms are familiar.

Building mental health, mental strength, and overcoming mental injuries, un healthiness, and sickness must come before the physical building can begin. What is your opinion?

I journal. It has become very important to me for my job, for my fitness, finances, and even personal life. I have been looking for a way to improve my journaling, and this is why this thread has become a blessing.

I have been journaling on a positive - negative basis. In my journal, I would decide if the particular event that occured that I am journaling was a success, or if it was a failure. This type of journaling, which I am learning from this post, is incorrect and will not work. For I judge myself, and my actions of the day and decide if I have failed or not. And I often fail in my mind, but this may or may not be true. But what good does this do to ponder a failure, or even to ponder them so much as to journal them so as to ponder them over and over again later?

I think this enters into the Pschology of bodybuilding, and to add, many other parts of life. Building a sound, healthy, strong mind is also a daily affair and I think can be demonstrated by the way I keep my journal.

I am a novice, but I deem it very important, to target the mind and guard it, and keep it. I think that journaling is a way of seeing what is in my mind. Also, there may be a real connection worth looking at between what is in my mind, and how my body is doing.

I have many entries in my journals that simply end with the phrase "Fail" or more recently "Failed to advance". This could be a disease within my journals that need to be gotten rid of. Thank you here for working with this. Praise God!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Rizzen, you are only human. Everyone feels they have failed at something when really they havent. its just how we are, to be critical of ourselves. what makes us mentally strong is whether we can see past the bad stuff and look at the positives and grow from them.

mental well being is just as important as ones physical well being. i believe that bodybuilding is just as much mental and it is physical. it takes strength to push that little harder, go that little further and keep a smile on your face and be happy about it. lifes hard, but what would life be if it was a breeze. the tough times are what makes life interesting.

something small i do in my diary/journal is something i call 3BT (3 beautiful things). everyday you write down 3 beautiful things of that day. it can range from the nice weather to someone doing something for you. it puts a positive perspective on everything, even when bad stuff turns you down.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Rizzen should change his/her status!
Stranger

Perhaps, there is an order to what needs to be strenthened. I am thinking that first spiritual strength, and then mental strength, and then physical strength. Like, one produces the other that produces the other? What do you think?

Positive spiritually - Postitive psychologically - positive gains physically?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 AM
big_m is working hard
Stranger

I'm kind of new to the iron game, however, I have spent a few years dealing with Spiritual health (I'm a pastor). What helps me stay healthy spiritually is realizing that I can't make myself better. I must surrender my will to my Creator's will. He promises to never leave me, and to be with me always, through good times and through rough times. Maintaining a high level of Thankfulness keeps me humble and happy. Take time each day to reflect on Jesus Christ - His sacrifice and His love. Read from the Bible and realize that we have the ability to hear from the mouth of GOD, the most powerful being ever. This God wants to get to know you better. Stopping to reflect on this each day, will help you live a life of worship, and will increase your love for Him.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
niggles is pumped!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_m View Post
What helps me stay healthy spiritually is realizing that I can't make myself better.
hmm..i dont know if you worded it wrongly, but i disagree with that. being healthy spiritually as well as mentally and physically, derives from that fact that you are making yourself better, or striving to make yourself better. why lift weights if you believe you cant make yourself better?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 PM
big_m is working hard
Stranger

I didn't explain clearly enough. Spiritually, the only thing we can do to make ourselves better is surrender to Christ and have the attitude "not my will but your will be done." We do this through Bible Study, finding out how we should live and act from scripture and applying it to our lives. We can choose to follow this advice from scripture and become more like Christ, or we can choose to do the opposite and be drawn further away from Christ, spiritual atrophy so to speak. A big part of becoming more spiritually fit is realizing that we must surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit. It is He who works in our lives, molding us in the image of Christ. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, then the God who made the universe lives within you and desires a relationship with you.

I strive to live my life as an act of worship to my God. Spiritually, I read the Bible, pray, surrender my will to His, and show others the love of God. Physically, I strive to worship God through how I take care of the temple that is my physical body, watching what I put into it, exercising it to keep it healthy and strong, keeping my mind sharp through study, etc...

Sorry for the long confusing answer. Hopefully it helps explain my previous answer. In a nutshell, we can only make Spiritual progress through the power and control of the Holy Spirit. We can't do anything of our own strength to draw closer to Christ, and to true happiness which is a life of devoted worship to our Creator, following His will.

Have a great weekend