Just Say No To Soy! - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 AM
fightbackhxc21 is the best part of waking up, is protein in your cup!
Middleweight

crap, i been eating a lot of soy protien in my bars. I liked them cuz they were tastey and cheap. Anyone got any other good bars that are cheap and non soy?

www.biolayne.com
http://www.scivation.com/forums/show...6536#post26536

www.c28.com
Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
will-work4andro is beastmode!!!
Professor of Pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Wilson View Post
Good point, AMPK activation definately is strongly associated with decrements in hypertrophy in aged muscle.

AMPK is also activated with resistance training but this blunts the protein synthesis response to resistance training.

Nutritionally we can turn on AMPK a number of ways, but the main way appears to be by simply lowering the energetic state of the cell (glycogen depeltion) or in this case some component of the soy is actually able to activate AMPK, and thus it is hindering overall protein synthesis
is there any difference though, other than the way it is turned on? is the activation of AMPK in response to resistance training, the fact that muscle is using fuel? so let me know if have this right....if you would lift weights, AMPK is activated, but upon eating AMPK is turned back off...however, if your meal is SOY...it will stay activated...am i thining this right?

Muscle Hypertrophy occurs independent of exercise intensity

Last edited by will-work4andro; 11-03-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Layne Norton should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
Jacob i'm not as clear on this issue as you are...so i'm basically asking what you think....i'm not a proponent of soy in the least bit, but isn't AMPK activated in response to resistance training in the healthy? I know they think chronic AMPK activation is one of the reasons why aged muscle doesn't hypertrophy...so i guess what i'm asking is, would the effects on mTOR from soy mostly depend upon how long AMPK is activated, acutely or chronically?
yes it is. The other side of the coin is that AMPK will increase fat oxidation but you don't want it doing that at the expense of muscle mass.

My recommendation is if you take soy, don't take it by itself, have it with some whey or supplemental BCAAs so that you can overcome the negative regulation of AMPK on mTOR

Official Website

My Bodyspace

All things Layne
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-work4andro View Post
is there any difference though, other than the way it is turned on? is the activation of AMPK in response to resistance training, the fact that muscle is using fuel? so let me know if have this right....if you would lift weights, AMPK is activated, but upon eating AMPK is turned back off...however, if your meal is SOY...it will stay activated...am i thining this right?
Yes that seems to be the case. For example studies which start with lower muscle glycogen stores get a greater AMPK response than when the individual starts with high muscle glycogen stores, same goes for creatine phosphate levels which may be one mechanism creatine consumption increases lean mass, by increasing the energetic state of the cell and lowering AMPK.

Basically anything that creates an energy deficit will increase AMPK.

So you are correct after exercise, by consuming a meal you should shut down AMPK, particularly by improving the energetic state of the cell, but Soy appears to counter this, by a mechanism that I do not believe has been identified.

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Pres --

Are adipocyte phosphocreatine stores influenced by supplementation? If so, could C theoretically impede fat loss? I've seen a few studies where creatine shifted substrate oxidation away from fat toward carbs, but nothing mind-blowing.

And while I'm at it, do you know of any estimate for adipocyte glycogen stores? I know they have very little, but I'm curious as to a whole-body estimate.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 AM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Hmmm all great questions. What I know is that 98 % of creatine stores are in skeletal muscle tissue, so this is the main area supplementation would effect.

In terms of hindering fat metabolism, the main study I am aware of is from Huso and colleagues, their results seemed to indicate that creatine supplementation did hinder fat metabolism by shifting fuel utilization to a higher reliance on carbohydrates. So if creatine does decrease fat metabolism then this would be the main area it mediates the effect.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/93/6/2018

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Ben2285 is doing everything possible to progress
Lightweight

wow excellent stuff guys
Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Klosey and I were talking about soy in another thread and he mentioned this, now I see what he is talking about. It says that mice on the high-PE diets consumed 198ppm daidzein and 286 ppm genistein. So what does this equate to in a standard diet? How much soy needs to be consumed to to activate AMPK? Is this really of any concern?

For awhile people were raving about soy raising estrogen, but it turns out that it takes about 20mg of phytoestrogens per kg of bodyweight to raise estrogen (in mice subjects). Considering that the average 3 oz. serving of tofu only contains 20 mg and a 3.5 oz. scoop of soy protein concentrate has 100 mg, it's hard to consume enough soy to be worried about raising estrogen. I wonder if this is also the case here.

Last edited by Ordo Ab Chao; 11-11-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: incorrect PE dose
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
klosey is 51 visitors online right now ! Let's get that number higher!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo Ab Chao View Post
Klosey and I were talking about soy in another thread and he mentioned this, now I see what he is talking about. It says that mice on the high-PE diets consumed 198ppm daidzein and 286 ppm genistein. So what does this equate to in a standard diet? How much soy needs to be consumed to to activate AMPK? Is this really of any concern?

For awhile people were raving about soy raising estrogen, but it turns out that it takes about 1700 mg of phytoestrogens to raise estrogen (in mice subjects). Considering that the average 3 oz. serving of tofu only contains 20 mg and a 3.5 oz. scoop of soy protein concentrate has 100 mg, it's hard to consume enough soy to be worried about raising estrogen. I wonder if this is also the case here.
ampk activation is a concern as this stops protien synthesis which means no growth
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Ordo Ab Chao is SHEIKO
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosey View Post
ampk activation is a concern as this stops protien synthesis which means no growth
I gathered that. I meant is soy consumption really a concern or is it difficult to consume enough to receive a PE dose high enough to activate ampk.