Need Advice on Cutting - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
JdesBC786 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Need Advice on Cutting

So to give you my basic history, I wrestled in HS finished my Senior year at 125 lbs 5' 7"...didn't do any physical activity for first 2 years of college and got up to 140 lbs. (and could barely do a sit up)...started working out 4 days a week for 2.5 years and I am significantly stronger than I was then... but I'm also weighing around 170 lbs +/- 3 lbs.

I realize that with the muscle I've gained, I've also gained fat, I think its 1 pound of muscle to 0.5 pounds of fat? Well either way I'm no longer interested in gaining any more weight or getting stronger, I can already bench, deadlift, and squat over 170 and I'm happy with that.

Sorry about the long thread, but now my question is how do I cut down to lower my body fat percentage, I got tested about 3 months ago and I was 10% (+/- 5%) body fat, I'd like to get down to a lower percentage and get cut while maintaining the same level of strength (or about the same level). How should I change my workout? diet? supplements (I take Vitamin C and Whey Protein).

P.S. my calorie intake is about 2500 a day or something around that.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdesBC786 View Post
So to give you my basic history, I wrestled in HS finished my Senior year at 125 lbs 5' 7"...didn't do any physical activity for first 2 years of college and got up to 140 lbs. (and could barely do a sit up)...started working out 4 days a week for 2.5 years and I am significantly stronger than I was then... but I'm also weighing around 170 lbs +/- 3 lbs.

I realize that with the muscle I've gained, I've also gained fat, I think its 1 pound of muscle to 0.5 pounds of fat? Well either way I'm no longer interested in gaining any more weight or getting stronger, I can already bench, deadlift, and squat over 170 and I'm happy with that.

Sorry about the long thread, but now my question is how do I cut down to lower my body fat percentage, I got tested about 3 months ago and I was 10% (+/- 5%) body fat, I'd like to get down to a lower percentage and get cut while maintaining the same level of strength (or about the same level). How should I change my workout? diet? supplements (I take Vitamin C and Whey Protein).

P.S. my calorie intake is about 2500 a day or something around that.

Welcome to ABC. Looks like you haven't really read anything or done any research because most of your questions are very general and can be answered if you just take some time to read and research.

If you visit www.abcbodybuilding.com you will find a lot of useful reading in the Nutrition section.

That said, here are a few starters:

1) Figure out what your bf% really is (10-15% is a big range)
2) Clean up your diet (no white bread, or processed foods such as white pasta, junk food, etc)
3) No simple sugars (soda, ice cream, desert)
4) Reduce saturated fats (i.e. no fried foods, reduce fatty red meat, butter, lard, etc)
5) Lift heavy (don't do low weight and high rep... keep your reps to 6-10 range and use heavy weights)
6) Do cardio (at least 3 times weekly for 20-30 minutes each at 65% of your maximum heart rate)
7) Eat at least 5-6 meals a day (1g protein/lb body weight, <150g carbs per day, and the rest should come from good fats like olive oil, peanut butter, almonds, fish oil, flax oil, safflower oil)
8) Last but not least (READ THIS ARTICLE http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.php
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM
JdesBC786 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtg View Post
Welcome to ABC. Looks like you haven't really read anything or done any research because most of your questions are very general and can be answered if you just take some time to read and research.

If you visit www.abcbodybuilding.com you will find a lot of useful reading in the Nutrition section.

That said, here are a few starters:

1) Figure out what your bf% really is (10-15% is a big range)
2) Clean up your diet (no white bread, or processed foods such as white pasta, junk food, etc)
3) No simple sugars (soda, ice cream, desert)
4) Reduce saturated fats (i.e. no fried foods, reduce fatty red meat, butter, lard, etc)
5) Lift heavy (don't do low weight and high rep... keep your reps to 6-10 range and use heavy weights)
6) Do cardio (at least 3 times weekly for 20-30 minutes each at 65% of your maximum heart rate)
7) Eat at least 5-6 meals a day (1g protein/lb body weight, <150g carbs per day, and the rest should come from good fats like olive oil, peanut butter, almonds, fish oil, flax oil, safflower oil)
8) Last but not least (READ THIS ARTICLE http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/13wee...urningdiet.php
Sorry I joined this website like an hour ago, but it's 10%, but they say that the error is 5%.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
fightbackhxc21 is the best part of waking up, is protein in your cup!
Middleweight

actually layne norton is doing some research and is finding that eating 3 meals spaced 5 hours in between with some xtend in between meals is a better way to cut then 5-6 meals a day. I believe that is what he said, if anyone else knows and this is wrong correct me.

www.biolayne.com
http://www.scivation.com/forums/show...6536#post26536

www.c28.com
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Anthony Lapham should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Sorry but that above is wrong.. Its a fact that eating 5-6 meals spaced at 2.5 hours..is alot better... rather than 3 meals at 5 hours ..

This is especially true on a cut..
The reason the meals are eaten more frequently is to keep your metabolism at a high rate. As when you dont eat for time (around 3-4 hours +) your metabolism slows down.

And I wouldn't agree with this below:

"5) Lift heavy (don't do low weight and high rep... keep your reps to 6-10 range and use heavy weights)"

Because if you lift higher reps then you are most likely to be burning a higher amount of calories. And you will tone more nicely.

Hope this helps,
Ant
Success comes before work....only in the dictionary.
Royalmarine69@msn.com
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lapham View Post
Sorry but that above is wrong.. Its a fact that eating 5-6 meals spaced at 2.5 hours..is alot better... rather than 3 meals at 5 hours ..

This is especially true on a cut..
The reason the meals are eaten more frequently is to keep your metabolism at a high rate. As when you dont eat for time (around 3-4 hours +) your metabolism slows down.

And I wouldn't agree with this below:

"5) Lift heavy (don't do low weight and high rep... keep your reps to 6-10 range and use heavy weights)"

Because if you lift higher reps then you are most likely to be burning a higher amount of calories. And you will tone more nicely.

Hope this helps,
Ant

no the high reps is a falicy, it will not burn off more calories sorry. and the first bit is right we eat every few hours to keep nutrients flowing to muscles but xtend used inbetween meals can mean longer distance between meals as xtend has the profile of amminos the body is wanting.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Middleweight

Is it proven to be a falicy.. Because
Royalmarine69@msn.com
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Middleweight

Is it proven to be a falicy?
because i may have a strong argument to put against it.
Just an enquiry

Ant
Royalmarine69@msn.com
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lapham View Post
Is it proven to be a falicy.. Because
the calories burnt lifting a lighter weight would me minimal difference from heavy weight since they provide the bigger stimulas to the muscles and release the most growth hormone, thus any calorie difference would be minimal and unbenificial.

as for a toning exercise dont know what you mean? all exercises tone and build muscle.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

If Xtend is good for a meal, then by the same token, can we just have a protein shake with some PB as a meal?

For instance, can you have breakfast, lunch, dinner and then two whey/pb shakes in between and count those as meals?

Tags
cutting, diet, supplements, toning