Individuals respond differently to different exercise protocols - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
MartinofSweden should change his/her status!

Default Individuals respond differently to different exercise protocols

I find this study very interesting. It suggests you should definately periodize your trainig. Check it out!

Significant Strength Gains Observed in Rugby Players after Specific Resistance Exercise Protocols Based on Individual Salivary Testosterone Responses.

Original Research

Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 22(2):419-425, March 2008.
Beaven, C Martyn 1; Cook, Christian J 2; Gill, Nicholas D 1
Abstract:
Our previous work has demonstrated that professional athletes show protocol-dependent variability in salivary testosterone (T) responses to resistance exercise (RE). The current study examines the consistency and functional outcomes of prescribing a RE regimen based on T response. We hypothesized that prescribing an individual-specific RE protocol based on T response would enhance weight training gains. Sixteen amateur rugby players [(mean +/- SD) age: 20 +/- 2 years; height: 181.5 +/- 8.2 cm; weight: 94.2 +/- 11.1 kg] were characterized by their maximal (Tmax) and minimal (Tmin) T response to four RE protocols: four sets of 10 repetitions (reps) at 70% of one repetition maximum (1RM) with 2 minutes' rest between sets (4 x10-70%); three sets of five reps at 85% 1RM with 3 minutes' rest (3 x 5-85%); five sets of 15 reps at 55% of 1RM with 1 minute's rest (5 x 15-55%); and three sets of 5 reps at 40% 1RM with 3 minutes' rest (3 x 5-40%). Eight athletes then performed a 3-week training block performing only their Tmax protocol. The remaining eight only performed Tmin. After 3 weeks, the athletes were retested on the RE protocols and then crossed over and performed the alternate 3-week training block. All 16 athletes showed significant increases in estimated bench and leg press 1RM strength and bodyweight while performing Tmax. When Tmin was performed, 75% of athletes showed either no change or a significant decline in 1RM performance. Consistent protocol-responses over the experimental period were seen for both the Tmax and Tmin protocols in 12 of 16 athletes. Thus, a relationship between an individual's biologically available T response to RE and enhanced functional gains is reported.

(C) 2008 National Strength and Conditioning Association

Isa 55:9
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Default Re: Individuals respond differently to different exercise protocols

it all seems like common sense to me, i dont see whats new in that study?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Individuals respond differently to different exercise protocols

It might not be news to you, but it is the first time a scientific study has been able to demonstrate this relationship. And it is, at least partially, a legitimate explanation on why som people don´t make any progress when performing heavy wight training at 85% of 1 RM or more, while others may only grow by doing sets of 15 repetitions on 50% of their 1 RM - and vice versa.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinofSweden View Post
It might not be news to you, but it is the first time a scientific study has been able to demonstrate this relationship. And it is, at least partially, a legitimate explanation on why som people don´t make any progress when performing heavy wight training at 85% of 1 RM or more, while others may only grow by doing sets of 15 repetitions on 50% of their 1 RM - and vice versa.
the legitimate explination is down to muscle fibres types, amount of each the individual has, the muscle and tendon natural rom and the individuals preference for rom, i.e some people do bench press at shoulder width, hell i've seen a few who's hands are touching the plates and they are lifting heavy, its basically proves what we already know, everyone is different
Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM

You´re not even kidding, are you? Never mind...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You´re not even kidding, are you? Never mind...
not really no its a study thats cost a tonne of money to explain something that is common sense, its almost as useless as studies that show most accidents happen in the home.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM

The scientists were really surprised about this finding, maybe you should educate them?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The scientists were really surprised about this finding, maybe you should educate them?
now i hope your jokin. it's plain simple different fibre numbers and types aswell as dna make up mean same exericise causes different results.

how many people do you know who eat **** and are thin or eat salads and are fat, its all in the genes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Maybe you should take a minute and reread the abstract. Using an experimental design, the researchers control for both ROM, salad and what not. Seems you´ve misinterpreted the whole thing. Not only does it show that there are interpersonal differences in the response to different exercise intensities, but even more so it suggests that the are intrapersonal fluctuations in t-level which can be determined by a simple salivary test, and that exercise intensity should be set accordingly so that one would always work at an optimal intensity.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you should take a minute and reread the abstract. Using an experimental design, the researchers control for both ROM, salad and what not. Seems you´ve misinterpreted the whole thing. Not only does it show that there are interpersonal differences in the response to different exercise intensities, but even more so it suggests that the are intrapersonal fluctuations in t-level which can be determined by a simple salivary test, and that exercise intensity should be set accordingly so that one would always work at an optimal intensity.
reread again and again and it still just seems common sense