Effects of 24 hours sleep loss on weighlifters - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Article Review and Discussion

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Default Effects of 24 hours sleep loss on weighlifters

http://apt.allenpress.com/perlserv/?...R-21606.1&ct=1

This study was from The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research Nov. 2007.

I was working a midnight shift last night when I came upon an article that mentioned this study (coincidence?!?). It stated that;

"During each training session the maximum weight lifted for the snatch, clean and jerk, and front squat were noted. No significant differences were found for any of the performance variables."

So even though sleep effects all of the following....
"Vigor, fatigue, confusion, total mood disturbance, and sleepiness were all significantly altered by sleep loss. These data suggest that 24 hours of sleep loss has no adverse effects on weightlifting performance."

That is so cool, I was sleep depriving myself and planning a morning workout and while I was doing so the whole thing was validated by this research study!

...And here is the best part, I had an awesome workout this morning!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
bigbear6708 is working hard
Heavyweight

being in the army, i have to pull 24 hr shifts way more often than id like...i dont usually workout after them, because IM TIRED!!! lol, but good to know info i guess...on a side note, i dont notice any loss after being up and training the next day (like the sleepless night had a negative effect overall)
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

So your finding correspond well with the study. I feel tired too (the study did say that participants had...Vigor, fatigue, confusion, total mood disturbance, and sleepiness were all significantly altered by sleep loss) but my strength is fine and my workout goes well after I am warmed up. Sounds like your strength remains unchanged as well too, cool.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

But what if you do that for a month? Obviously not complete sleep deprivation, but close. What are the chronic effects? That's a lot more significant to me.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

True, I imagine chronic sleep deprivation would be very detrimental.

But, prior to the Hyperplasia challenge I would use the occasional midnight shift as an excuse not to workout. But the challenge came, and I didn't want to skip workouts, so I just tried it one time....only to find that my workout went fine!

So the study has good practical applications for those who may have recently lost some sleep but don't want to miss a workout.