Hello, are there any fellow gals on this site? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM
doodletail should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Hello, are there any fellow gals on this site?

Just wondering since there don't seem to be many posts in the women's athletic section.

I am returning to the lifestyle after a 7 year hiatus. Had a ton of injuries and that pretty well messed with my head. Now I'm back in the game after losing 50lbs. and at a fitness level where I am able to get serious again. Wondering if there are any others out there like me?...K
Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
layla17 should change his/her status!

Default Re: Hello, are there any fellow gals on this site?

I'm a fellow woman. I don't see too many of them on here. Glad to hear that you're getting back in the game.

Are you drinking enough water ?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 PM
amino is probably eating
Lightweight

The chicks seem to come and go on this site. Lots of them have similar situation as you, where they are getting back into their old lifestyle again. No need for you to just post in the woman's section. Personally, I just look at the active topics and reply the ones that interest me or I know something about. So ask away, there are lots of helpful folks here.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
orpheia should change his/her status!

I'm a girl!

I'm actually out of the gym scene at the moment, but I still want to keep up with the knowledge part of it all, which is why I still haunt a couple of bb sites.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
layla17 should change his/her status!

Great to hear from you ladies.

Are you drinking enough water ?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
cowgirl2 should change his/her status!
Stranger

I was 210 after having my baby. Now I am 160 and trying to continue to slim down problem areas. I am going to school to b a personal trainer and strength and conditioning trainer.
I am 24and in high school I was 180 but mostly because I couldn't control my eating. I still have problems with that and staying in a routine with school, working and a 2 year old with no help from her dad.
I am on prozac right now and if I could stay in routine(continue to find the time and motivation) I wouldtake myself off the prozac. I was doing good but again lost my routine.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 AM

It's really hard to find the time and motivation, especially during school. (I totally sympathize with you--this is my last semester before I graduate with my BA; I can only imagine how crunched for time you are with a baby.) I'm currently not working out in a gym (long story!) but I am trying hard to get back into a routine with DVDs. They're actually a really inexpensive option compared to a gym, and I feel like I can get a great workout using them.

DVDs might be a really good option for you, since childcare might be hard to obtain right now. You can work out and keep an eye on your child at the same time. I bought a box set of yoga DVDs last year put out by Rodney Yee and Mariel Hemingway, and so far I really like them. Additionally, my mom got into Leslie Sansone (Walk Away the Pounds) several years ago, so I have a couple of her DVDs, and they provide a really great cardio workout. I definitely recommend those two sets at least, and I know a bunch of girls who swear by the guy who has the "bootcamp" series, though I cannot remember his name.

It's hard to be self-motivated, especially when you're so, so busy, but you can do it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
kitty should change his/her status!
Stranger

I am a new girl to the site. I stumbled onto it after researching P90X. I am a mother of 3 and I am interested in losing the extra 25 pounds I gained with my 3rd, born 2 months ago. I am considering the 13-week program as it is very similar to the regimen I used to follow when I was physically fit in my 20s. I am concerned though about the static strip sets as I am not looking to gain mass. I know many will say that women will not gain mass in the same way men will, but I have overtrained my biceps and calves in the past. Any advice? Also, I do not have a leg press available, any advice on substitutions? I need to review the diet and then I am off and running.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:00 AM

Women won't gain mass the same way men will, but some women's genetics allow for more mass. The best way to achieve muscle results in the gym is to lift heavy (for you, of course...if 5# are heavy for you, that's lifting heavy) and outside of the gym...I prefer using my own bodyweight rather than weights, because out in everyday life I will be doing things that require me to use my own balance and leverage, rather than that of weights. That's just my personal preference, though.

Don't worry about not having access to a leg press--I've used leg presses, and I've also trained with just my own bodyweight, and the second combined with cardio got me the fastest results. Instead of a leg press, you can just do squats and lunges--when I took an aerobics class way back when, we had this things called "skiis" where you did a pseudo-squat in a skiing motion. Try 10 of those in a row and your hamstrings will be burning!

The lunges that worked my legs the best were the ones we did in dance class--if you put your feet in parallel and slide one leg back, keeping your hips aligned and straight forward, making sure that you don't overextend your front
knee beyond your ankle and keeping your back leg straight...oooh, it burns after a few minutes. If you want to intensify it, you can lean into the bent leg and go down, and then go back up, making sure to focus on your quads and hamstrings. You WILL feel it, and it feels a lot different than a leg press.

Also, I felt like the leg press didn't hit my inner thighs as well, and at the time my gym was still expanding so we didn't have anything for inner/outer thigh. I had to be creative and find alternates to work them, so here is what I did:

I took some ballet moves, and adapted them for my own use. Lay flat on your back and extend your legs in the air. Then, open them to second position (that's just ballet lingo for really wide) and flex your feet. Bring your feet back in together, keeping your legs straight and pointing your toes. Criss-cross your feet in front of each other a couple of times, and then repeat. After a couple of times, you will start to feel this in your inner thighs.

Then, to add to the intensity, bring your legs in at the top and while you're criss-crossing your feet, lower your legs down nearly to the floor, continually criss-crossing, and then back to straight up in the air. Man oh man, you will definitely feel your lower abs. It's a good idea to start really small with these--don't try to do too many in one sitting. Rather, build up to it.

Anyways, I feel like I just wrote a little novel. Hopefully I didn't repeat anything you already knew, and hopefully this helps you out a little bit. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]