EPOC-alypse - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM
flowerkitty should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: EPOC-alypse

I usually stick to HIIT because of the "hamster on a wheel" thing. That and it burns a hell of a lot of calories if the intensity is high enough.

Doesn't running or sprinting on whatever increase mitochondrial density which then spares muscle glycogen and uses more lipids instead? So maybe that somehow contributes to the overall calorie burn?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
maverickBU is kinda famous
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I usually stick to HIIT because of the "hamster on a wheel" thing. That and it burns a hell of a lot of calories if the intensity is high enough.

Doesn't running or sprinting on whatever increase mitochondrial density which then spares muscle glycogen and uses more lipids instead? So maybe that somehow contributes to the overall calorie burn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how hard and how long you go. Anaerobic exercise like sprinting is going to primarily use anaerobic energy systems (i.e., ATP and glycolytic). This is going to run your ATP & CP stores down and start to call on your glycolytic energy system to break down glycogen. Once you breakdown enough glycogen though, you will exceed your lactate threshold and will be forced to decrease intensity and use your aerobic energy systems, thus metabolizing carbs, fat, and protein for energy. I think this is why ABC's authors state that they think a combo of HIIT and steady state cardio may be best for fat loss.

Its my opinion though, that hitting the cardio quick, hard, and often will keep your EPOC high and burn more calories. When you break it down, its calories in vs. calories out, when proper nutrition and training are considered. I intend to do more writing in the near future after releasing Part 2 of EPOC-alypse (the writing is down, I just need to type it when i get home) about energy flux or "G flux" that encourages increased calories and activity to keep your metabolism at its absolute peak.

23-8 in the ABC Fight Corner
Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Consistantly HIIT workouts, either produce significant EPOC statistically, but not practically significant, or do not reach significance at all.

In our lab, we have done 3 EPOC studies over the last 3 years. One I was co-investigator on last year and it analyzed the EPOC response to interval training for 30 minutes in females. We worked them so hard that they were near fainting, with one participant actually fainting!

While our results nearly reached statistical significance, they fell short. Further, practically even though 02 consumption was elivated, it literally did not have any practical significance.

We then analyzed the comparison of the interval training to resistance training and found no significant difference between the two in EPOC.

In addition weight training is high intensity training, and would produce similar if not greater effects on EPOC then interval or HIIT training. Therefore, if you weight train already, you are really already incorporating a form of HIIT, at least in terms of the muscle fibers stimulated, temperature changes, and hormonal response, which are what causes HIIT.

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Fahsy should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Consistantly HIIT workouts, either produce significant EPOC statistically, but not practically significant, or do not reach significance at all.

In our lab, we have done 3 EPOC studies over the last 3 years. One I was co-investigator on last year and it analyzed the EPOC response to interval training for 30 minutes in females. We worked them so hard that they were near fainting, with one participant actually fainting!

While our results nearly reached statistical significance, they fell short. Further, practically even though 02 consumption was elivated, it literally did not have any practical significance.

We then analyzed the comparison of the interval training to resistance training and found no significant difference between the two in EPOC.

In addition weight training is high intensity training, and would produce similar if not greater effects on EPOC then interval or HIIT training. Therefore, if you weight train already, you are really already incorporating a form of HIIT, at least in terms of the muscle fibers stimulated, temperature changes, and hormonal response, which are what causes HIIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long after exercise did you collect metabolic data?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

They measured 48-72 hours after. That is the typical standard for EPOC studies. The main differences seen are during the first 12-24 hours.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Stian should change his/her status!
Rookie

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this article somewhere online? It looks very interesting. I would really like to take a look at it if possible [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 AM
huskerwr38 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sprinting doesn't increase mitochondrial density, if anything it decreases the amount of mitochondria. Sprinting uses Type II muscle fibers, which are characterized by low mitochrondrial density. It will increase those Type II muscle fibers, thus decreasing the proportionate amount of mitochondria.
BF%: 10%
Certification: NSCA CSCS

Hard work always pays off!!!
My photos