William Wallace's 13-Weeks to Turkey Day Bulk - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 AM
William Wallace should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: William Wallace\'s 13-Weeks to Turkey Day Bulk

Not a very good way to end the week. Didn't make it to the gym on Friday and took a long needed weekend off with Da Guys. That meant - alcohol and even more nights with not enough sleep. So this week, I plan to hit the gym with a vigor, and I have so far.

Yesterday was shoulders and triceps.

Shoulders:
Standing barbell presses 3 drop sets
Bar X 10 Warmup
85 X 8 + 65 X 8 + Bar X 8
125 X 6 + 85 X 6 + Bar X 6
135 X 4 + 95 X 4 + Bar X 4 (new record)

Barbell rows (smith machine) - I hate these
50 X 8
90 X 8
100 X 4 - felt nerves pinching in my upper back so stopped
50 X 8

Barbell front raises
40 X 8 Warmup
60 X 8
80 X 8
80 X 7

Standing machine shrugs (whatever they're called)
90 X 12 Warmup
180 X 10
270 X 10
320 X 8

Standing Calf machine shrugs
Don't recall weights but to failure

Triceps
Dips
Weight X 12
Weight + 50 X 12
Weight + 50 X 10

Close Grip Decline Bench
Bar X 12
95 X 10
145 X 8
165 X 8

Lying Decline Old School Dumbbell Extensions
25 X 2 X 8 Warmup
40 X 2 X 8
50 X 2 X 8
50 X 2 X 6

Analysis:
Diet could have been better. But wasn't bad. I ate a little dirtied today. A whole pizza from California Pizza Kitchen for lunch and a late late night visit to Waffle House for Chicken and Eggs.

Water intake was roughly 3 liters. This can also be better.

Norman Peale and David Schartz : "Think Positive! Think Big!"
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Rookie

Today Legs:

Wide Leg Squats (free weight)
Bar X 10
135 X 8
225 X 8
315 X 8
365 X 4

Leg extensions superset with lunges
Don't remember exact weights but remember last set was full stack (255) X 5 followed by another full stack X 4

Sitting leg curls
Also don't remember exact weights.

Calf machine raises
90 X 15 full + 90 X 15 partials
90 X 12 full + 90 X 12 partials
90 X 10 full + 90 X 10 partials

Analysis
3000 calories according to fitday. I really lacked the carbs today. I will need to force feed in order to grow. Possibly prepare my meals the night before if I'm going to be successful.

About 3 liters of water. Actually no, most of the water intake was in the form of black tea (no sweetener). Caffeine = diuretic.

Sleep was absolutely horrible last night. 4 hours. If that. I think this is why I feel a cold coming on. Tomorrow is an "off" day. Praying that it doesn't turn into a full fledged cold.

Need to make a lot of changes in the diet and sleep.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Was sick for the past couple days. That seems to happen a lot after an intense leg workout. So then I have a double whammy of my body trying to repair and trying to recover. Spent the last 2 days in bed. I tried to be diligent about supplementing with Glutamine. We will see how effective that was. The plan is to take one more day off then hit it again tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Rookie

Wow. Has it been 10 days since I filled out my journal?

Was sick for 2 more days. So did not make it to the gym until Monday the 16th. Though this wasn't as soon as planned, I have to pat myself on the back for even getting back in. Usually after a cold, I regret having to go back into the gym knowing that I have lost muscle from being sick. That turns into excuses and laziness followed by a 2 month hiatus followed by disgust at myself followed by going back to the gym starting at square one.

Anyway, last week was fairly good except for a couple nights that I did not get adequate sleep. But I still managed to get in all major muscle groups. I did not take down adequate notes, but milestones I remember:

Chest:
Increased decline bench to 315 X 2 after pyramidding up. Considering that 315 X 2 was my previous record on the regular bench press 3 years ago, this was a good milestone.

Back and Bicep:
I've decided to move biceps to the same day as back since many back exercises also work the biceps. Was able to preacher curl 110 X 5 (110 being the largest preassembled curl bar weight at the gym).

Shoulders and Triceps:
Did standing shoulder press drop sets. Felt pretty good so I achieved a drop-set of 145 X 4 + 95 X 4 + 45 X 6 after pyramidding up. The 145 X 4 is a new peak.

Legs:
Did a quick leg workout yesterday consisting of smith machine squats, leg extensions, seated leg curls, and calf raises. I reached a new peak on the smith machine squats of 380 X 3 but that may be a Phyrric victory since my left knee isn't feeling too hot. We shall see.

Assessment:
After trying one of these 13 week programs twice in the past, this is the first time where I haven't given up after the 2nd week. It helps to know that someone you know personally is reading your journal and says to you "Hey, you haven't updated your journal in a while. Are you still working out?"

Now going into week 5 I feel pretty good about the gains I have made. Through muscle memory (I assume) I am back to most of the peaks I had 3 years ago. According to the scale, I have gained 2 pounds. Not as much as I had hoped by now, but I have been eating fairly clean and not nearly enough. I am still having trouble with the amount of food I need to eat and the amount of sleep I need to get but all in all, it has been a good first 4 weeks.

Changes to be made in this 4 week period:

Increase of carbs - I have added at least one more serving of oatmeal and 2 cups of brown rice to my planned diet.

Increase in fat - Stop being lazy and take those 2 tbsps of EFA's every night before bed.

Decrease in alcohol: I had some planned events that involved some alcohol (ok, a LOT of alcohol). But I don't foresee any excuses in this next 4 week period.

Increase in sleep: Lately averaging about 4-5 hours. This CAN'T be good. Even if that has been enough to sustain muscle growth, it is effecting other areas. Goal is to increase this average to between 6 and 7 (realistic goal).