Some female advice is needed - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM
DeekM should change his/her status!

Default Some female advice is needed

Hey girls I was just wondering if you could help me?
My girl's put on a bit of weight over the past year or so (about 20+ lbs so she's now around 140 lbs) and she keeps trying all these different "diets" but as everyone knows they never work so she gets really depressed so I tried to give her a little help by writing up a meal plan for her.But to say she was a little dubious would be an under statement.
One of the problems is that she works 9-5 everyday with only a 15 min break at 11 o'clock then a half hour at lunchtime and then thats her 'til 5 o'clock.Even then, she car shares so she can't exactly have something to eat when the people she shares with are raring to get home so its about 5:45 before she has a chance to eat.Then she's gotta fit in the gym after that and I've always thought that if your trying lose a little weight then not eating before the gym is best.
Could any of ya'll maybe give me an insight into a good female diet bearing in mind she's not a total gym rat and is just trying to shift a little weight and that she's got pretty crappy breaks at her job.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
flowerkitty should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Some female advice is needed

Ooh, fun!

Okay, what are her stats? Age, height, bodyfat, dieting/exercise history, current diet (even if its not really a "diet") and whatever else you can think of that may help me, and I'll help you.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks Flowerkitty

Well she's 5'3", 23 years old and we haven't got calipers or anything but according to those scales that put the current through your body she's around 30% b.f which I think might be quite close to what she actually is.As far as her diet goes well its really varied and changes from day to day but she eats allot of fruit throughout the day and has the odd 30g packet of crisps (or chips if you're American) and other crap but at night for dinner she relies on her mum just making something for her.To cut to the chase she doesn't eat totally clean however she does take in allot of fruit (I know this has negative side effects when trying to cut) and veg as well but not much protein.The thing I've noticed is that she doesn't eat allot so I think she might either not be eating enough good fats and too many bad carbs or is snacking allot and just doesn't notice.
As far as her exercise history goes, well she does occassional aerobics classes and I try to get to the gym as much as possible with her and when we do I get her doing around 20-30 mins cardio then some lifting usually whole body stuff for around 30-40 mins.But to be entirely honest she doesn't really get to the gym that often and I know that won't help much either.

I don't know if this is enough for you but if it isn't just let me know and I'll try to get some more details.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Lightweight

I am leaving to the gym in about 7 minutes. When I come back I am going to type something up for you. If you see this before then, can you please tell me how much she weighs (give or take 2-5 lbs) and if she has lost/gained weight or yo-yo dieted in the past?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 PM

Hey don't know if I'm too late but she weighs 147lbs right now.She used to be heavier I think by looking at photos from before we were together and then lost weight getting down to around 130 lbs and has put weight back on in the past 18 months.She hasn't really yo-yo dieted but was on weight watchers and doing things like cycling,swimming and aerobics classes when she lost most of her weight but she tried it again recently and it never worked this time.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Lightweight

Okay, here we go. I am going to throw some stuff at you and can relay it to her and see if she is willing to do it. I can help you around some stuff, but it also takes a bit of determination and doing many things you don't want to do.

I pick up that picks at food. You say she eats fruit all day and also has an occasional bag of chips. Until she can eyeball food servings and know when to eat what, things have to be measured. She should stay at a certain range of calories and consume certain macronutrients during certain times.

Being 147 lbs, I would say she should not go under 1,300 at any means, and the lowest she should be recommended to go is 1,400. (depending on whether you think she is an undereater or overeater when dieting is what you should tell her. If you know she always measures up to make sure she is in calorie deficit, then you should tell her no more than 1,400. If she normally still snacks and overeats when dieting then you should tell her 1,300, just to be safe.)

Calorie cycling is also a good idea, so the same number of calories should not be eaten every day. So one day she'd eat 1,300, the next 1,500, the next, 1,400, the next 1,300, etc. I believe the range should be 1,300-1,600. You can also tell her one day a week, maybe on a day you guys go out to dinner, etc. she can have a cheat meal which will make the day go up to 1,700 or 1,800 calories. That can be her high calorie day.

If she is not willing to go to the gym every day, carb cycling is a good idea too. Carb cycling is when you vary the amount of carbs you eat every day. I would make "high carb" days on workout days, and "low carb" days on non-workout days. This could follow calorie cycling, as in high calorie days are also high carb days. However, on low carb days more fats have to be taken in as replacement fuel/calories.

Now meal timing. There are no snacks. Another way of looking at it is there are no meals, just snacks all day. Every meal(/snack) should have protein in it. Period. Lean protein. You can add your own fat it in if necessary.

I believe carbs should always be eaten before and after working out no matter how late it is. Although insulin sensitvity is higher at night and you're going to bed soon, blah blah blah, after working out, muscles are begging to be replenished. Fat gain is high minimized when carbs are taken in post workout. This helps recover your muscles faster, allowing repair and growth, fuels your next workout, and frankly, makes you not feel like crap the next day. Another good time to consume carbs if for breakfast. They will burned off throughout the day as necessary. Your muscles are also glycogen depleted in the morning after "fasting" all night.

Personally, I eat carbs in all my meals except for the one right before bed. I tolerate carbs well. I also mix carbs and fats. This is my choice, and many people believe it is not omptimal. Fat is anabolic and is the building block of many cells as amino acids are to protein. They also help regulate my blood sugar levels. Just to be safe though, on high carbs/workout days you can keep the diet relatively fat-free, then on low carb/rest days you can add many healthful fats. Once again, you must prod a little with her and see how far she is willing to go.

This is a basic meal plan for a high carb day off the top of my head, I'm just putting rough calories:

upon rising: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup eggwhites, veggies, about 50 calories worth (320)
lunch: 1 slice ezikiel bread, 100 calorie chicken breast (about 3 oz, raw), lettuce, tomato, onion, etc, about 50 calories worth (230)
(if she can, ask her to go to the bathroom and have a protein shake sometime between lunch and pre-workout. Just keep whey in a bottle and add water and drink. 130 calories)
pre-workout: 3/4 cup brown rice, 100 calories worth shrimp, chicken, some kind of lean meat (265)
post-workout: 4 oz raw sweet potato, 100 calories lean meat, veggies (250)
post-sleep: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 tsp fish oil (100)

Its about 1,300 calories. I'd suggest to let her have 1 piece of fruit during the day. Also allow unlimited green vegetables. (but without any oil or dressing or anything) Try to explain to her startchy carbs allow better weight loss than fructose carbs.

For low carb days, I'd just take the carb servings out of certain meals and replace them with vegetables and oil. For example, pre-workout and post workout you'd take out the brown rice and sweet potato. Then add 1 tbsp of olive oil (or flax oil, fish oil, edo's oil, CLA, something healthful) and some extra vegetables.

About training. I think 3x a week is absolute minimum. Correct weight loss is only 1-2 lbs a week, and that really only if you work your (!@#$%^&*) off. Explain the better/quicker she does this, the quicker she can go to maintenance and become a BIT more linient. Okay, if you're doing 3x a week, weights and cardio should be on the same day. The days should also be seperated by atleast one day, if possible. I would also suggest a 2 day split. One day upper body and one day lower body. She also has to lift HEAVY. As in, if she can do more than 10-12 reps with that weight, its not heavy enough. Explain to her its nearly impossible to gain mass on a diet, and to trust you that absolutely no one gets big "by accident". Just convince her to lift heavy. I'm assuming you know a bit about weight training so you can help her. I'd also suggest about 30 minutes of carido AFTER weights. Steady state or HIIT is fine. Just make sure she burns a good amount of calories. If she wants, let her add more cardio to her routine if she thinks weight isn't coming off quickly enough. I would never do more than 50 minutes at a time.

I also like the idea of working out a little bit every day. Examples are doing some jumping jacks or jump roping for about ten minutes a day, seperate from your workout. I'd do it once in the morning, and once at night too if she didn't workout that day.

Maybe this isn't what you asked for, and she just wants something simple to follow and shed some pounds. Usually things aren't that simple, and weight loss is a big effort. Back in the day I used to eat three 200-300 calorie meals a day earlier in the day, then a 400-700 calorie meal in the evening. Everything I'd eat was "clean". I'd only workout 3-4x a week, for about an hour or so. Some weights and some cardio, nothing structured. On the weekend I'd sometimes eat whatever I want, but kept it to a minimum. I am 5'9", so this was pretty very low calorie for me. I did manage to lose weight, about 2 lbs a week, but I also gained it back and then some. If she wants to do something like that, yes it'll get her weight loss. This following something structured will reap better long term results.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Hey Flowerkitty thats absolutely brilliant.I really appreciate you taking the time out to give me some good advice.I'll say to my girlfriend all of what you've told me and hopefully we'll get something sorted.

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 AM
gsclarke should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hi Flowerkitty

Some sound advice there.

I wondered if you subscribe to the theory that fat/weight i harder to shift as you get close to your optimum weight?

Would you recommend anything different when those last few pounds won't seem to go?

Thanks, Gay