How to get DOMS again? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Calico should change his/her status!

Default How to get DOMS again?

I workout at home and am not by any means a body builder. I lift weights to Cathe tapes. I am right now doing mostly weights only with cardio thrown in 1 time a week. I am no longer feeling DOMS in my muscles after a workout even when I up the weight to try for DOMS. Am I doing something wrong, do I need to take a break from weights for a week or so, so my muscles will miss it? I really am at a loss. I guess I could try Cathe's Slow and Heavy rotation again and see what that brings.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Annette
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Calico should change his/her status!

Default Re: How to get DOMS again?

Ok, I may have found the answer to my own question on another forum, so if I don't get any responses I know where to go to read the answer.

Thanks

Annette
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Is there a particular reason why you want DOMS?

On a sidenote, DOMS is not an indicator of muscle growth.

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I would hesitate to say DOMS doesn't have any implications. Hypertrophy is the result of an increased net muscle protein balance [i.e., fractional muscle protein synthetic rate (FSR) muscle protein degradation rate (MPD)]. To state that DOMS doesn't indicate growth is moot point. However, to state that it may be indicating a phase of adaptation is a valid hypothesis.

A lack of DOMS may indicate your body has adapted to the current stresses you are placing it under.

The principal model of adaptation, the General Adaption Syndrome, provides an illustration of the physiological response an organism has to stress. In this model adaptation is incremental, occurring in three stages; the alarm-reaction stage, the resistance stage, and the stage of exhaustion. Stage one encompasses the initial three to four weeks of an exercise program. This segment is composed primarily of neurological adaptations to the stress being placed on the body. As the organism enters phase two, compensation begins to occur as the human body progressively adapts to the exercise stressors.

Theoretically, this phase continues until the individual reaches a period of optimized performance. However, if the stimulus is continuous accommodation occurs and the athlete experiences a plateau in gains, or what is commonly referred to in the literature as maladaptation. Simply put, rest and variation are the keys to continuous athletic improvement. This entails training cycles that accumulate and summate adaptations. In periodization theory this translates to a need for a variety in training to avoid accommodation as well as integrated periods of rest to allow for complete adaptation.

The Fitness-Fatigue theory provides a more comprehensive model of the physiological responses to stimuli by providing a dual-factor approach to training theory. According to Supercompensation Theory training is viewed in a strictly catabolic sense. Conversely, the Fitness-Fatigue model is based on the hypothesis that training results in both positive and negative effects. The obvious negative effect of training is the fatigue factor. On the positive side training increases fitness, which when accounted for in a training regimen, supports the potential of equilibrium.

Finally, the Sequencing Theory of Periodization suggests that fatigue is specific to the exercises incorporated into an individual training session. This model attempts to properly sequence training bouts so that one period of training does not negatively affect a subsequent training bout (Plisk & Stone, 2003). In doing so, programs can be designed in such a fashion that muscle groups will not overlap, allowing more overall work to be performed over a duration of time.