Gym Social Norms - Page 9 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM
RyanS should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Gym Social Norms

Oh, the other week I was doing shrugs, 110lb dumbells. I lack the lower back strength to pick them up one at a time, (the twisting motion) so I had to put my foot on the rack bend over and pick them both up.
No problem, except this was my first time actually trying to pick them up with this method and the 220lb swung behind me and I stepped back 3 steps and got my balance and noticed a woman one step behind who was sitting there between her benchpress sets.

Whoops.

My fault, she accepted my apology though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Deadlift: 264lb x 6
Dumbell Bench Press: 77lb x 6
Preacher Curls: 92.4lb x 6
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 PM
PaulD9160 should change his/her status!
Stranger

the worst is people who sit at a machine for the whole time of their 3-4 sets.

Another tough group is the 6-10 guys who workout together, if they are on a machine I find another exercise to do, because I wil;l m ost likely be done with my workout before they are done with that one piece of equipment.

The "coach" who spends an hour+ everyday at the gym showing everyone what to do but you could count the number of sets HE does on one hand.

And a funny one, this old dude who puts way too much weight on the lat pulldown machine. Every time the bar goes up, his arms are jerked terribly ..... I am convinced one day his arms are just gonna rip off.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
RyanS should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Yesterday I finished my squats and loaded up the leg press with 8 44lb plates. Decided that now was a good time to grab a quick drink from the water fountain.
Came back and started my set, hmm, this feels a bit light.

This guy took two of my plates for his preacher curl (which he probably did really half assed, I didn't watch) when literally 2 feet away from the leg press machine is the weight stack with other 44lb plates.

Absolutely no reason at all to take my weights, my towel, gloves, etc, were at the leg press, so he knew someone was using them.

The good news is I increased my leg press weight for the second week in a row and absolutely murdered my legs.
They haven't been this sore since I first started back at the gym.
Deadlift: 264lb x 6
Dumbell Bench Press: 77lb x 6
Preacher Curls: 92.4lb x 6
Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Trench is is on a mission!
Light-Heavyweight

I can't stand guys who do not use deodorant while working out. do they not know that they stink up the gym? The one older guy walked around in one of those muscle tank tops sweating purfusely while stinking up the entire gym with his underarm funk...

We all need to control are breathing and take those deep breaths, and was it a bad experience. My partner and I kept giving these hints but he didn't seem to get the picture. Next time he does it, I'm going to tell it like it is. What a terrible experience.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

I read these and I am so glad I built my own workout building in back of my house! I can sweat,, get my plates and not worry about ym dogs stealing them! I can play my music and none has to listen, wow I just realized I have it made in the shade and didn't evne know it! I save on membership too! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
HELLO77 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

There are a couple people in my gym who you know are going to hog a machine for a long time if you dont beat them to it. I understand it takes a while to get the sets in; but these people won't let you work in while they rest and just sit there for like 5 minutes in between sets (and they are not going that heavy so i dont quite understand the long ri between sets). Whats even worse is when they have there buddy with them or start talking to other people, then its like they have set up home at one workstation which can last my entire workout. When ever these people are in the gym, I will quickly alter my routine and go to the machines that there are only one of (the lat pull down, leg press, and a couple others) other wise I am screwed as I sometimes had to wait for like 20 or 30 minutes for my final exercise after I have otherwise completed my workout.

I have always pulled off my 45's after the leg press, but usually left one 45 on; but think i will pull the last one off as well after reading some of the comments in here. Never thought of somebody doing leg press with less than a 45 on each side; but anyone not being able to do one 45 on each side would not be able to pull off this weight so I think i will pull them all off just to be sure as there are a lot of women in my gym. There are times when an in shape person is waiting for the machine; in this case I usually ask if he wants me keep all the weight as I know if it was me I would not want to have the machine stripped of all weights where I have to reload.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Down 2 Die should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I love the social aspects of the gym. I could never leave!!!!

Days tobacco free: 48
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 AM
airborneninja should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Oh man the memories here, right now im in Afghanistan and our gym really doesn't have many people doofing around they all research their material or someone shows them how to correct things and since we mostly know eachother the mannerisms are good but my old gyms oh man....

1. Theres this guy who would come in and I kid you not stand on the squat rack and hold it practicing some kind of chuck norris move circle kick up in the air. Once he finished his kicks or felt adequatly badass (these people have to be delusional) he moves on to the bench press and puts like 225 on it and he lifts it maybe twice and i swear you could put 2 feet between the bench and his back hes so arched. After that set he always put like 3 or 4 plates on the bench press then sat there like he was gonna lift it for around 20 minutes then moved on. He never unracked the weight, a symbol to us of how awesome he was because I would guess he thinks if he sat there long enough we would just miss his massive set. Yea right.

2. People who use machines on light weight and talk on cell phones while they do it. If you are having a phone conversation while weight lifting you are A. not lifting enough weight, even if your going for higher reps. B. Socially insecure C. Retarded (all of the above) -- Oh and PS -- Your cell phone made you cool 15 years ago we all have one now!

3. Teenagers/Kids in the gym. Now I support high schoolers in lifting but sometimes you gotta draw the line. One kid in particular in my old gym, good kid really no one minded him... UNTIL his friends came in off the basketball court. Everyday nearly it seemed like someone (usually me) had to tell them to calm down or leave the gym they would be throwing the swiss ball at eachother and all sorts of crap. One time I saw one of his friends on the running track (goes around the top of the gym) drop a medicine ball on the kids stomach in the middle of dumb bell bench press movements. I took him to the attendents at the desk and they didn't even take his membership for a day.

4. Alcohol - if you smell like alcohol im gonna ask you to leave the gym, thats uncalled for and definitly pisses me off.

5. Meat shop - We all have seen them and im sure most of us detest them -- The window shoppers. Mostly the younger crowd its people who don't come to the gym to workout, I think they come to the gym mostly because they aren't old enough to go anywhere that sells alcohol. They are the people who come in and just mess around maybe taking the bench for a 1 set 1 rep lift when some girl or some guy is watching or take the curl bar (their favorite) and do the same and just in general look like asses. Their most hideous move? Taking their shirt off in the gym and laying on the bench. The source of this crap? Usually the basketball court.

Man luckily we have the squat rack.

6. I left the best for last -- we had this guy in my old gym that used to talk to himself while working out. He was like his own personal workout partner like pat from saturday night live talking in the mirror lol. This guy would be busting out curls saying things like "good job man you got it" to himself in the mirror. Once bluetooths came out for cellphones this guy got one and kept it in his ear while he worked out so it looked like he wasn't talking to himself lol. The great thing about that is he was normal enough to realize how insane he must look talking to himself!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Ohlmin should change his/her status!
Stranger

Being in the Army i go to one of the gyms on post. Every single afternoon when i get off work and finally get to the gym all of the units around post who have soldiers on the overwieght program are in the gym taking up every piece of equipment in there. Its obvious that most of them know nothing about how to use the equipment. The people in charge of these soldiers just dont wont to do their job and have a scheduled program wrote up for these guys and just have them floundering around in the gym. Getting really frustrating
Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
jlands is fat and not happy about it
Middleweight

I use a small gym that is literally the next door over from my office. Not much there, but it's convenient and has showers. Well the locker room is nice and bigger then the gym. Everyone seems to run (military base). We have one guy there that wraps his shins. Well there is a bench near the entrance to the locker room and you have to come around the corner from the lockers or the entrance to get to the showers. He walks around naked for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower. Then just before he showers he stops at the bench bends over and takes off his wraps. So if you come around the lockers or in the entrance you basically get a full view of old man butthole. Very traumatizing