Ok I need some help! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 09:06 PM
ingad10 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Ok I need some help!

I have been a member of this site for a little over a year. I've used the lifts while designing my own workouts, but that is about it. I am interested in all of the information, however, it is a little bit overwhelming.

I want to start being more serious about lifting and toning up. I am a 20 year old college student. I feel like I am in a rut as to designing my workouts and I need some help. I want to be in great cardio shape as well as muscular shape.

I want to modify my diet. I have never eaten badly. I just want to eat more healthy. Ok so, I basically need some help and direction on where to start. I'm not overweight. I am 5' 9". What do y'all think?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Speg should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Ok I need some help!

hmm.. Well im a dude.. so im not sure if I should be trying to answer your questions.. but I think firstly a bit more information is needed than whats provided.

Give an example of what you might eat for a day.

How often are you working out?

How often are you doing cardio?

What does "I'm not overweight" mean? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Whats your weight?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Stranger

Lets see, I'm not very consistent with what I eat. I eat mainly when I get hungry. I am majoring in Exercise science. I know I'm doing a lot of things wrong. Most of when/what I eat depends on my class schedule.

Ok for example for breakfast I might have a whole wheat bagel and a glass of skim milk. Lunch might be a sandwich with ham, cheese, avocado, tomato, and light ranch dressing. Dinner might depend. If I make anything it'll be that. For example chicken and rice, or lasagna, or a salad. Sometimes I won't eat a set dinner, I'll just snack on fruits, some vegetables, yogurt, toast. It just depends on how I feel and what I have in the house. Its always raw. I can cook, but I don't do anything that takes too much time. I hardly eat out, but sometimes when I am pressed for time I'll have subway. I know its better to eat smaller meals more often, but I need to have a better idea how/what to plan it.

Lately, with working out I'll run/do cardio and do weights twice a week. Usually when I run I'll run a mile or so, or run like 20 min, or I'll run a mile and then get on the bike for like 20 min. When I do weights I'll pick two of the groups for the week: chest/back, arm/shoulders, and legs. I also ride my bike to class everyday which is like 30 min there and back. With the holidays and break coming up, I won't get to do that as much. I think with a workout, I really need to have a plan rather than just an idea of what I'm going to do, because I will stick to it better when I go. I don't think I'm very efficient with my time.

Ok I weigh 175. I'm 5' 9". I am about 22% BF. Most people don't believe that I weigh that much, but I've always been pretty muscular. I don't fit into the BMI standards at all.

I don't know if this is too much info. What do you think?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Middleweight

You must be really muscular then [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am 5'10" and 175 lbs.

You wanna be a cardio machine right? Well trying to push yourself to go further and further each day on a run will of course help. 1 mile @ 20 minutes ? Thats a very slow run. I try to jog 2 miles @ 20 minutes and I feel thats actually somewhat slow.

By doing endurance training with weights you'll build yourself up to do cardio better. High reps/low weight.

Your diet is healthy.. but not ideal at all. Firstly there is a lot of carbs, if you're looking to keep your weight down thats going to be a problem with what you're eating. You want to try and fit more protein in there too. Maybe a chicken breast for dinner? Adding at least two more meals will help speed up your metabolism and increase muscle gains some too. If its hard for you to fit meals in try getting some protein bars.

Sorry if im skipping around a lot, im pressed for time at the moment [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hopefully someone else can answer your questions better than me right now! Let us know if thats the kinda information you're looking for or not.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Stranger

I used to be all about the proteins. I still eat more than I indicated, but I do probably eat more carbs than I need to. In my college classes, its always suggested have 55% carbs and 10-14% protein. I think that is a little high on the carbs?? When I lift, occasionally I'll take whey. What do y'all think is the best way to go about whey? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:37 AM
Stranger

No, lol, I will run a mile one day for example, and the next day I'll run 20 min. Those are examples of what types of cardio I do. I'll either run a set distance or a set time. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be all about the proteins. I still eat more than I indicated, but I do probably eat more carbs than I need to. In my college classes, its always suggested have 55% carbs and 10-14% protein. I think that is a little high on the carbs?? When I lift, occasionally I'll take whey. What do y'all think is the best way to go about whey? Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to bulk and gain as much muscle as possible you're going to actually want a higher ratio of carbs to protein. I think its like 2.5 grams of carbs per lb where as you want to have 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb.

I like to take my whey with skim milk personally [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I cant stand trying to take that stuff with water :P