Research Question of the Week--Alcohol and the Elite Athlete - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 AM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week--Alcohol and the Elite Athlete

Great job Rocky! The only thing that made me cringe a bit was the Mercola reference. I've seen him mentioned on the forums here several times as being somewhat of a quack (he sometimes comes up when the issue of splenda's safety is raised). I'd be interested in your thoughts on that, as well as others such as our fearless leaders who are familiar with Mercola.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:11 PM
dashforce should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Exactly what I've been looking for, for one of my main lifting partners. Printing him a copy right now. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM
lifting5 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Great work man, your article was very helpful and informative! This should clear up a lot of the alcohol questions [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both. And it just so happens that it takes hard training to build big muscles" - Mike Mentzer
Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Smoney should change his/her status!

This was excellent it convinced me to really cut back on drinking. However i would like to ask you some questions. It reduces HGH and Testosterone massively, but for how long? And how much is consumed for HGH to reduce by 70%?

When i go out i previously would drink 6-12 beers 3-5 nights a week. I never noticed fat gain but i never got any bigger even though i was beating myself down in the gym.

If i drink less than 6 beers a night 1-2 times a week would you think it is still capable of making good gains?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Zee-German is bulking, goal of 250lbs
Middleweight

Good article, but for me, life is to short to not enjoy some of the finer things in life = )

Like getting smashed with your best friends on the Santa Cruz beach at night and going to sleep with a girl you just met by the bon fire.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Awesome should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

First off, thanks everyone for your kind complements!!

[ QUOTE ]
Great job Rocky! The only thing that made me cringe a bit was the Mercola reference. I've seen him mentioned on the forums here several times as being somewhat of a quack (he sometimes comes up when the issue of splenda's safety is raised). I'd be interested in your thoughts on that, as well as others such as our fearless leaders who are familiar with Mercola.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I didn't know anything of this guy, so I'm sorry for the usage of him. I would also be interested in learning about what the admins think of it!

[ QUOTE ]
This was excellent it convinced me to really cut back on drinking. However i would like to ask you some questions. It reduces HGH and Testosterone massively, but for how long? And how much is consumed for HGH to reduce by 70%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't be positive on the testosterone/HGH when I answer this question. However I can tell you this: two nights of drinking in a row can have effects on the body (when performing physical activities) for up to 5 days after intake of alcohol. I also can't answer your question for as to how much it takes to bring that 70% decrease. I would imagine it is varying from person to person, however I'd imagine the 70% decrease would take a lot of alcohol. Since it says "up to 70%."

[ QUOTE ]
If i drink less than 6 beers a night 1-2 times a week would you think it is still capable of making good gains?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you would be able to. The extent to which the alcohol/beers will hurt you is going to be determined by your genes. My best advice would be to avoid using it before the night of, and the night of legs day. Legs day produces the greatest growth for your body from the release of HGH. So I think it'd be best to avoid interfering with your body that night, or the night before.

[ QUOTE ]
Good article, but for me, life is to short to not enjoy some of the finer things in life = )

Like getting smashed with your best friends on the Santa Cruz beach at night and going to sleep with a girl you just met by the bon fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Finer things in life" is just relative. I enjoy the finer things in life too--mine just don't involve alcohol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and I'm right. I'm just acknowledging the fact that I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything by not drinking.

<font color="green">On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it - Matthew 16:18</font>

My Cutting Journal!

[image]http://a579.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/52/m_f88d169fd15e9b0da2b1a0d3a880241a.jpg[/image
Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

Great piece of literature, only thing that i could foresee being improved on is the referncing for example;

18: "The Ultimate Anti-aging Program," Gary Null, 1999

was this published by a sound source? was it scrutinized by anyone? where can i find a copy of this to make sure the text wasn't taken out of context?

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford