Motivation - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 08-13-2006, 12:09 PM
jdf should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Motivation

Hey Girls,

Just wondering what other females do to stay motivated, especially when dieting?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: Motivation

Great questions jdf! We're really looking to increase this section of our site. Thanks for your contributions.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
jdf should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Thanks! It really helps me to get other female perspectives. I guess I can answer my own question to help others.
1. having a goal(s)
2. being able to accomplish mini goals every day/week
3. posting pictures
4. seeing myself change and develop
5. feeling great inside and out!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Here is a post I made in the research forum. I am a big fan of setting goals to increase motivation. When you reach a milestone in your mission, it really motivates you!

Great question!

I do not believe that your body building goals can be so fragmented, i.e. "I'm going to be bigger than Ronnie".

Achieving your best takes planning, patience, and experience. This is true for anything you want to do with excellence.

You have to plan or you will become discouraged. "Failing to plan is planning to fail".

If you truly want to maximize your bodybuilding potential, you must define a mission and vision for your bodybuiding career.

Your vision is the grand purpose for doing what you're doing. Its the point from which everything else should emerge.

Your mission is the path you take to achieve your vision. It is typically defined by a set of goals. I like to think of it as a timeline of events.

For example, my vision might be, "To attain a freaky physique of 200lb @ 8% body fat, drug-free, in three years".

My mission may be "adding eight lean pounds of muscle over the course of one year, while always being able to see my abs".

Next I would set goals and milestones that would define the success of my mission. This portion needs a lot of detail. This would include, bulking and cutting cycles, workout routines, accumulating knowledge, etc. Everything it will take to achieve my mission statement.

Hers is the key, I recommend using the SMART method when setting goals.

oSpecific

The goal must be identified clearly. When will the goal be achieved (a exact date)? How will it be achieved exactly?

This is where a lot of people are fragmented. They set a goal such as "To get cut". This is way too vauge. You need specific shorter term goals that clearly indicate you are fulfilling your mission.

oMeasurable

You must be able to measure the success with available data. Setting a goal of "being 200lbs" is not specific enough. That is a good mission, but not measurable enough to be a goal. You would want to lay out how much you will gain over a bulk cycle for example, and how many calories you will consume daily, etc.

The Hyperplasia contestants and regular journalers on ABC are experts at this.

oAchievable

The goal must be challenging, but still achievable. If you set a goal that is unrealistic, or more to the point, that you believe is unachievable, you will fail.

Further, if you are an beginner bodybuilder, its unrealistic to set goals that only an advanced bodybuilder could achieve. If your goals are planned well you should be able to see a succession of smaller goals that will realistically lead to accomplishing your mission.

In most cases you will know if it is realistic or not. Setting ambiguous, unrealistic goals is not going to impress anyone, but only lead to disappointment.

oRelevant

The goals should be relevant to your mission and vision. That's the whole point, to ge to the vision. But occassionally a bodybuilder will get excited about an opportunity that doesn't coorelate to their vision. This will consume resources, time, and energy and detract from the original vision.

oTrackable

A goal is trackable if you can establish milestones to track progress toward the goal. This enables you to monitor progress.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:05 AM
Shadane should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I have a weird motivation plan for myself.

Well this time around, I have a boyfriend who has the same goal as me (loose weight and cut for that beach wear in febuary) and a pair of jeans that is my nemisis. *shakes fist at jeans*

What i have found works for me is the reward system. I do bi monthly results, so i go see my 'body sculptor' and get my BF% and weight and such done, if i have reached the goal set for me by him and my trainer, I allow myself one new JD ROBB book and a punet of strawberries to munch on whilst reading it.

If i dont, i have to clean and wash my car myself (no cheating and going to the car wah places), this is one of my pet hate chores and i am not very disciplined when it comes to keeping my car clean. And i have to bathed the cats. which for any of you cat owners knows... is not fun.
(my mommy cat needs to be bathed once a month with special shampoo to keep her skin and coat healthy, as she caught mange from the ex dog in my commune).

and of course no JD ROBB book.

the final reward at the end of this 20 kgs loose and cut is a belly ring [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and a new pair of low cut boot leg levi's (in SA Levi jeans are the 3rd most expensive jeans). yes i know most ppl say dont use materialistic things as your reward, but in my case i tick to it better if there is something i really want waiting for me if i succeed. The feelign of accomplishment is there and is wonderful. But for me there is nthing like lookign at your books and seeing a sticker that says "Well done 5 kgs lost"

If you work hard, not only will you be hard
But you'll be H A R D to BEAT.