figure competition - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
choeft should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default figure competition

I am 28 years old and am trying to decide on whether or not to compete in my first figure competition. I have always worked out (sometimes more than others) and have been dedicated throughout these last 6 months. My current body fat is 10.5% and I weigh 136 after gaining 8 lbs of muscle. I am looking for any piece of advice, comments or words of wisdom as I research and contemplate the idea of taking my mind and body to the "next" level. It seems as though the idea is crazy to anyone who has not competed themselves...this includes my husband! Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Tory should change his/her status!

Default Re: figure competition

I am going through the exact same thing right now. Tomorrow I have a consult with a trainer who has trained other girls in fit and figure competitions in order to get a real idea what is actually involved in being able to do a show. I am totally psyched. I also recommend the women's magazine Oxygen. Over the past while they have really dedicated a part of the magazine to beginner figure competitors. It has really opened my eyes to aspects I never even thought of. I agree that people within your social circle may not understand your motivation. I am an aerobics instructor and even some of the other instructors at my gym don't understand. To me, its like any other fitness goal. Some people just want to get healthy, some want to run a marathon. Its very personal. I'll check back in and let you know how my consult went.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:52 AM
CelticKnot should change his/her status!
Rookie

Well, my suggestion is--why not? As long as you have a thick skin and will not be easily discouraged I say do it. As an athletic competitor, I know that the more competitive experience I get the more at ease I will be for the next competition. I suggest entering a small one and working up.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Tory should change his/her status!

My consult with the trainer was an eye opener. I had brought 3 days worth of fitday journals with me. She was impressed with my clean diet but very up front about what my diet would need to look like for the 16 weeks prior to the show. Eating will definately be boring and I may as well say good bye to eating out all together. We also talked about the mindset prior to and after the competition. She said you have to become very selfish during this time period. Life will have to revolve around your own diet, your own training and your goals. Everything else is secondary. Some people will not appreciate the fact that you will be so into yourself. Some people may try to sabetouge(sp) you just to make themselves feel better. She also warned against thinking that you can look like your competition day self all year long. Or, on the other hand, going straight out after the show and eating everything in sight. Both mindsets are dangerous. She basically said to look at it as a short term project--I mean, really, what is 16 weeks out your life in the grand scheme of things? She also said that partway through, if you feel you can't do it, thats ok too. Appreciate what the experience taught you and use it for the next goal.

Let me know how things have been going for you.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:02 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

i think its particully amusing that people assume you must be vain and not to bright if you spend time looking after your body
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM
willBbuff should change his/her status!
Rookie

Go for it! You will need the total support of your husband so let him know how important it is to you and I'm sure he'll back you up. Think of the end result and how proud you will be of yourself. It's not often we do things just for us...best of luck.